CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Åtdragningsmoment vattenpump

Mats Jangdal

Jag har en modell år 1997 factory shop manual som kommer att gälla 1995 Northstar vattenpumpen.

The Northstar vatten pumpen unscrews från crossover bostäder. Detta kräver ett speciellt verktyg som manuellt kallar J 38816-1A vatten Pump Remover/Installer. Du kan nog hyra en lokalt. Om inte, kan du låna en eller köpa på på eBay och sälja den när du är klar.

Från 1997 handbok har vatten pump installationen på sidan 6-148. Det står att kontrollera ringstätning i vatten crossover och byt vid behov. Om denna bil inte har hade vattenpump ersättas i många år, skulle jag använda en ny O-ring.

Både att installera och avinstallera instruktioner i min manuella säger 'twist till låsa upp' och 'twist lås.' Det inte säga medurs eller moturs, eller ge ett vridmoment. Jag tror att vattenpumpen låser upp genom att vrida rätt (som att lossa en vänster tråd). Du bör kontrollera detta med verktyget instruktioner, de nya vatten pump instruktionerna eller annan källa innan du tar bort gamla vattenpumpen. Du kanske kan berätta genom att titta noga på den nya vattenpumpen låsmekanism.

Vatten pumphuslocket har en packning som du förmodligen behöver. Tre vattenpumpen bostäder bultar bör skärpas till 10 N * m (89 lb-i eller 7.4 lb-ft).

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Jim!

Though I believe it would have made more sense in english than in google-translate. It's unclear what the tool J 38816-1A makes easier or if it is absolutely necessary. Got any pics?

The torque setting of 10 Nm is what I was most interested in. Figured it would be low, mounting on aluminum. This is the first change of water pump in 320000 km/200000 miles, not so bad!

The special tool is a large cylinder that goes over the water pump and has prongs that engage the cogs around the edge. I believe that it has a 1/2" ratchet hole on the end. You use it like a huge socket wrench. Since there is no other simple way to engage the water pump to unlock it from the crossover and to lock it back in on installation, you really need to borrow one or otherwise have on on hand for the job.

You have very good foresight asking about torque settings before you begin. Stripped out small bolts are very common on older aluminum engines. On wiring harness grounds, it's not a big deal because you can always find a way to ground a wire but on the water pump housing, you have an aggravating TimeSert job to do. I wouldn't trust less expensive repairs like Helicoil on something so critical as a water pump housing.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I have an assortment of oil filter tools. I'll check on the new pump if one of them fits. Most of them only works one way though.

Do you think it's necessary to plan a timesert job as well? No chance of drill and tap a size up if the threads are shot?

Mag weld the holes, drill n' tap? Plastic Padding chemical metal?

Thanks for the heads up!

No need of a Timesert job if you know the torques before you tighten the bolts, unless someone else has been there before you and damaged the threads.

If you do find an oil filter tool that grips the water pump, let us know because no one knows of a substitute for the special tool.

You wanted pictures? I tried Google Images and got this cornucopia of images:

CLICK HERE

I did some WWW searches and find that one can be had for about $100. Some places offer "bargains" for $200 and up, but if you want to get your money back by selling it on eBay don't pay over $100. I would try to rent or borrow one. They same tool works on any Northstar, including the ones sold in some Oldsmobiles (the Aurora V8), Pontiacs and Buicks. This should not be a hard tool to find for rent.

You should be able to rent one for something like $10 plus deposit.

Oh, probably not around here out in the sticks where I live. I own the only to Cadillacs I know of in this community.

In Sweden it's typically that the ones owning new Cadillacs live in big cities. People out here interested in Cadillacs are preoccupied with 70's or older. I'm pretty much left to my own devices.

Jim! FYI, renting cartools is almost unheared of in Sweden. If you are lucky, and have good contacts at a local garage, you may be able to borrow but most entusiasts buy or make their own tools..... Cadillac tools are very rare!

The water pump tool is for any Northstar, and they came on Oldsmobile Auroras and some top-end Buicks and Pontiacs. They shouldn't be too rare.

• 1 month later...

Dags att redovisa.

Hittade inget verktyg till vattenpumpen hos de vanliga försäljarna i Sverige. Dåligt utbud även i USA, plus frakt och väntetid, Så jag beslöt att gör ett själv och prova.

Å om jag visste hur man laddar upp bilder större än 64 K skulle ni få se hur arbetet gick också.

Good to hear that you succeeded in making a tool that worked for you.

Hej Mats!

När jag laddar upp bilder till mina poster gör jag det genom att först använda en gratis webbtjänst för bilder (Google (Google+, f.d. Picasa) och Yahoo (Flickr) är två exemplel, finns flera), och sedan länka till bilderna härifrån. Från bildtjänsten tar man länken, och sedan är det bara att trycka på knappen för att lägga in en bild här på Caddyinfo, klistra in bildlänken och så visas bilden. Då kan du ha vilken storlek du vill på bilderna (som bildtjänsten tillåter, men det brukar inte vara något problem).

Archived