CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2014 Cadillac XTS Packs Twin Turbo Power

Bruce Nunnally

New V-6 engine option produces 410 horsepower

DETROITCadillac will add a new option to its XTS luxury sedan: More power and torque. Starting in August, the all-new Cadillac Twin Turbo V6 will go into production as an optional engine for the 2014 XTS.

The new Cadillac Twin Turbo V6 is also a signature feature of the upcoming all-new 2014 CTS luxury performance sedan. In the XTS, the twin turbo will produce an SAE-certified 410 horsepower (306 kW) and 369 lb-ft of torque (500 Nm), making it one of the most power-dense six-cylinder engines among luxury cars. The engine delivers 105 lb-ft more torque over the standard V-6 from1900 to 5600 rpm, providing seemingly endless torque for vehicle responsiveness.

“The addition of the new Cadillac Twin Turbo expands and elevates the XTS luxury sedan,” said Bob Ferguson, vice president Global Cadillac. “This is a compelling enhancement to what is already one of the most technically advanced sedans in our history.”

In both the CTS and XTS product lines, the twin turbo will be the centerpiece of a new model offering called Vsport. The new Vsport is inspired by and slotted “underneath” Cadillac’s elite high-performance V-Series models. Vsport includes the best-performing technical elements inside the “regular” car line in a single model, headlined by Twin Turbo engine.

The new Cadillac Twin Turbo is a comprehensive upgrade to the 3.6L dual overhead cam V6 that is standard in the XTS in the U.S. market. Almost every component is unique, including:

• All-new cylinder block casting
  • Strengthened connecting rods
  • Machined, domed aluminum pistons with top steel ring carrier for greater strength
  • 10.2:1 compression ratio
  • Patented, integrated charge air cooler system with low-volume air ducts
  • Two turbochargers producing more than 12 pounds of boost (80 kPa)
  • Vacuum-actuated wastegates with electronic control valves
  • All-new direct injection fuel system
  • Tuned air inlet and outlet resonators, aluminum cam covers and other features that contribute to quietness and smoothness.

The cylinder heads are also unique. They feature a high-tumble intake port design that enhances the motion of the air charge for a more-efficient burn when it is mixed with the direct-injected fuel and ignited in the combustion chamber.

Pricing for the 2014 XTS starts at $45,525, including destination fees, unchanged from 2013, with standard equipment including the 3.6L V6 engine that makes 306 hp, CUE, intelligent brake assist and Magnetic Ride Control. Three option packages are available: Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections.

The XTS Vsport model will be offered only in the up-level Premium and Platinum Collections as all-wheel drive.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Nice -- they are continuing the Vsport designation for the up-tempo XTS as well. So now the ultimate XTS is a XTS Platinum Vsport, or XTS VSport Platinum?

Bruce

When BMW did this, models between their full up M3 or M5 that got some sprinkling of performance parts were called M-tech option kits at first. I am glad Cadillac synced on Vsport instead of going with Vspec

Wikipedia notes:

M-Cars vs. M-badged cars

There are several BMW models which BMW Motorsport made changes on, without them becoming M-Cars. This succession of styling (M-tech I, M-tech II) and performance cues came from BMW Motorsports; e.g. BMW 530i M packet or 325i M packet etc.

Vehicles which have been modified by BMW Motorsport, but are not full M Cars, may feature "M" badges, whilst full M Cars will have "M" badges with the model number (e.g. "M3" or "M5"). Two exceptions would be the M Roadster and M Coupe models, both Z3, Z4 and 1-series variants, which only have an "M" badge with no number displayed on the trunk. These cars are full M Cars.

In recent years, there have been 'M'-badged accessories available on BMW's standard fleet as factory options or as part of the "M Sport" package (which is more expensive than the optional Sport package). Examples of this include the E39 and E60 5 series sedans which had optional aerodynamic packages that were strongly influenced by the M5's styling (for example, bumpers with larger intakes). It is not unusual to see "standard" BMW vehicles with "M" badges or ribbons accenting their design. The plain motorsports badge simply stands for the 'M-tech' upgrades equipped on the vehicle (i.e. suspension, brakes, looks or any other modification that has been developed by the M division), therefore the 'M' badge on these vehicles should not be confused with the true 'M' vehicles (except the Z-cars, as mentioned), as they are not fully fledged 'M' cars, just equipped with 'M'-tech upgrades. BMW has offered these 'M' options on their standard vehicles since the late 1970's which explains why these vehicles carry 'M' badges straight from the factory. In comparison, vehicle maker Audi also employs this same type of nomenclature. There are fully fledged 'S' models (S4, S5, S6, S7 and TTS), as well as an optional "S'-line package that can be equipped to their standard vehicle lineup. [23]

An example of 'M'-badged vehicles in recent times include the E60 BMW 550i and E63 BMW 650i. The standard BMW 5 Series and 6 Series only had a choice of either a manual or automatic transmission, but the 'M' Sport package had an optional Sequential Manual Gearbox (SMG) (a gearbox shared with the M5 and M6)[24]until after the 2007 model year.

M-Performance

Recently (2012) BMW has introduced a range between the 'M'-Sport equipped standard vehicles and the fully fledged 'M' cars, which was branded as the 'M' Performance range (which shares the name of a range of after-market accessories). Although not directly confirmed, the lineup would appear to compete with Audi's' 'S' models due to their positioning within Audi's own vehicle model hierarchy.[17][25]

To date this includes the M550dx in touring and saloon variants, the X6 m50d and X5 m50d which all share a 381 bhp 740NM triple turbo diesel engine, the former pair are only LHD drive markets currently due to the xDrive layout in the F10 series not being compatible with RHD markets (a RWD F10 M550d was mentioned by Auto Express but has not been confirmed). The first petrol M Performance car is the M135i which is a 320 bhp 1 series car. M135i is available with rear- or all-wheel drive, making it the first rear-wheel drive M Perormance car.

Nothing yet has been announced as regards the F30 3 Series M Performance line up but BMW have trademarked (amongst many other monikers) M335, M340 and M350.[26] Further to this M President Friedrich Nitschke has confirmed that the new triple turbo diesel engine will "easily fit" within the F30 engine bay but did not elaborate any further.[27]

Bruce

Archived