CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How Cadillac Designed A Comeback

1672830-inline-1999-cadillac-evoq-concep

Evoq

I am a bit fatigued over articles that describe Cadillac's comeback from the peaks of the 70s, but this one is well written even if I don't agree with all assertions:

Sixteen years ago, Cadillac was the top-selling U.S. luxury car brand. It seems impossible in retrospect, as its line of cars featured the soulless geometries of a geriatric suppository. Evidently, Toyota, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz agreed, and they all moved in to carve out their share of Cadillac’s market. Detroit soon found itself buried underneath the force of German and Japanese design, engineering, and marketing--and sales tanked.

You’d think things could only get better, but they actually got worse. There was the bankruptcy of GM, Cadillac’s parent company, followed by the infamous bailout. Cadillac was neutered, left without the ability to lease out its cars at enticingly affordable rates, which is a hugely damning point in the luxury car market.

Read more: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672830/how-cadillac-designed-a-comeback#1

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hanging on to my 2001 DTS (low Miles) because I like a full size car. Got wife a 2012 SRX AWD Premium last summer that is a fantastic vehicle, after we got the spare tire issue resolved. Soon it will be my turn but I want a large trunk and large back seat. The XTS is not right for me. Looked at Lincoln MKS and that would not be for me for a number of reasons. The Lincoln sales rep told me the trunks were going to be larger in 2014 without me even commenting.

I have a eye out for a late model Platinum DTS with low miles and coverage under the bumper to bumper warranty. something I can grab a GMPP extended warranty

I think the turnaround started in 1989 when GM gave Cadillac back its own identity within GM. The instant results were the 1992 STS/ETC, the Motor Trend Car of the Year, with the 4.9 no less, the Northstar for the magnificent but dying Allante, and OBD I which emerged as an industry standard. The Next Big Thing really did wait another ten years, which was too long.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I think the turnaround started in 1989 when GM gave Cadillac back its own identity within GM. The instant results were the 1992 STS/ETC, the Motor Trend Car of the Year, with the 4.9 no less, the Northstar for the magnificent but dying Allante, and OBD I which emerged as an industry standard. The Next Big Thing really did wait another ten years, which was too long.

Totally agree with Jim. It's recognized as a top choice drivetrain here in Europe also and for many car people, Cadillac is still synonymous with Northstar more than any other feature in the history.

Interesting. The list of Cadillac innovations is enormous and goes back to the beginning. The list includes the mass production V8 (1914), the mass production automotive two-plane crankshaft (1924), the enclosed weatherproof cabin, four-wheel hydraulic brakes, the high compression oversquare OHV V8 (in 1949, along with Oldsmobile) etc. etc. etc.

More recently, GM has used Corvette and Cadillac to roll out technologies before they are available in other marques. Wikipedia credits VW with the first on-board computer with diagnostic scans in 1969, but GM allowed users to short pins in the ALDL and get check-engine-light two-digit code flashes in about the same time frame, which means that the interface supported error scan capability with the GM reader, used in production and by dealer service departments. What became OBD I started at least by 1981 with Cadillac's DFI option in the 368 big-block.

My 1990 Pontiac Quad 4 was distributorless, and it started development in the Oldsmobile engine department about 1981. It also had coil-over-ignition (two coils bolted into a over-cam cover, with plug boots but no plug wires).

The first standard V6 was on the 1962 Buicks, with an uneven-firing 90-degree 3.8 liter V6 that shared a few parts with their 350 cid V8. With the addition of an uneven crankshaft a couple of years later, it became the even-firing 3.8 liter V6 that was one of the most successful engines ever, in terms of numbers sold and number of different models that used it. GM has always been a leader in V6 engines of all stripes, from tiny economy models (2.8 liter) to huge diesels (6-71, anyone?).

Electronic stability control started out in the Corvette about 1988 with the ZR-1 and became standard in some Cadillac models by 1997. Not the NHTC is making it mandatory for all cars sold in the US because insurance company statistics show that it saves more lives than seat belts and air bags, combined, as interpreted by deaths per passenger mile.

Now, we have a whole series of highly reliable daily-driver type, fully drivetrain warrantied supercharged and turbocharged cars. I drive one now. We have a plug-in with an on-board gasoline-powered charger (Chevy Volt, Cadillac ELR), a hybrid Escalade, and the first cylinder deactivation was by Cadillac in 1981 but is now becoming the standard for emerging engines. VVT pushrod engines? I believe that some LS engines have it, and the new LT V8 for 2014 has it designed in.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

The first standard V6 was on the 1962 Buicks, with an uneven-firing 90-degree 3.8 liter V6 that shared a few parts with their 350 cid V8. With the addition of an uneven crankshaft a couple of years later, it became the even-firing 3.8 liter V6 that was one of the most successful engines ever, in terms of numbers sold and number of different models that used it.

GM has always been a leader in V6 engines of all stripes, from tiny economy models (2.8 liter) to huge diesels (6-71, anyone?).

Yep.. the 6V71 came out in 1975 and the 6V92 came out in 1974.

The V71 was available as a V6, V8, V12, v16 and V24.

The V92 was available as a V6, V8, V12 and V16...

Posted Image

That modular diesel V71 was a true workhorse. Lots of others have tried modular engines with some success but none like the V71. Some long haul transit buses used the 6-71, 6V-71, or 8V-17, leading to the Burma Shave sing(s) "Just once before... I turn to dust... I'd like to pass... a Greyhound bus! Burma Shave!!!"

That modular diesel V71 was a true workhorse. Lots of others have tried modular engines with some success but none like the V71. Some long haul transit buses used the 6-71, 6V-71, or 8V-17, leading to the Burma Shave sing(s) "Just once before... I turn to dust... I'd like to pass... a Greyhound bus! Burma Shave!!!"

You probably already know this but the starter on the GM 350 Diesel's that were used in Cadillacs was from the old inline 6-71

I had 6V92 and an 8V92 in some of my trucks.

I used to LOVE to read the old Burma Shave signs when I was a kid, traveling with Mom and Dad... :):)

Posted Image

"Thirty days... hath September... April, June,... and the... speed offender! Burma Shave!"

Here's links to *all* of them:

http://www.sff.net/people/teaston/burma.htm

Archived