CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Project: 1939 Jaguar SS100 Replica Classic Roadsters, LTD. "Duke"

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Rick; that's what I wondered -- if the engine were supposed to be mounted higher so that the oil pan stayed above the frame rail -- which would allow the frame rail to be lower. Yours looks similar to mine in that the engine oil pan and exhaust are below the frame rail. My tires are 205/75R14 so you have a smidge more tire height.

They sold 15" wire wheels as an option so I assume a 15" wheel is a good fit.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

If you are concerned about the oil pan, you can bolt a ramp to the front cross member so that the car will ride up over something that would hit the oil pan. You can take it off for access when needed.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

HI. I am Bob from Parker, CO. The DW and I bought a Classic Roadsters Duke SS100 replica on eBay in Oct. 2012. I just found this site and read every post. Delighted to find a current forum running for the Jaguar replica (on a Cadillac blog of all places). I am not the car engineers or advanced home mechanics that y'all are, but we are enjoying our Jag and I am really happy to get more info on it. I will post some pictures as we go along, and hope to be able to provide a little useful info along with the education I have already got from reading the posts. Thanks especially, Bruce, for your link to your construction manual. That will be invaluable to me as I received no documentation with our car. I would be happy to contribute to your cost of it. Wish I could find a Chevette version (see below).

Background. Won the car on eBay and got it for what seemed to be a couple thousand under some others I had watched. We were wintering in Yuma, AZ at the time; the car was in Long Beach, so we drove over to see what we had bought sight unseen. The seller was an aftermarket parts dealer for Fiat 500 and Smart cars. He had bought the car at the CA Barrett-Jackson auction for his father in 2004. His dad drove it for 4-5 years around Long Beach until he couldn't drive it any more and it sat until the son took it back and put it on eBay. The car checked out pretty well and would run, but we had it shipped back to CO. I have spent about $800 getting everything checked out and replaced as necessary and it is great in every respect except for a recently developing driveline noise (to be continued on later posts).

There was a duplicate title to the car issued in Oregon in 2003 by an estate just to be able to sell it at the auction. I don't have any older history on the car than that. The seller was unable to register the car in CA without it having a body-mounted VIN number, so he took a VIN plate off of a wrecked car and riveted it to the firewall. So our car was and is registered as a 1959 Austin. Well, still British, eh? Colorado was happy with that and it is considered a specialty collector car here, and each registration is good for 5 years with no emission or safety inspections required. Love the cheap Hagerty insurance too.

The car is cream with brown fenders and brown upholstry. The car and top and side curtains are in fantastic condition considering the age. It has dual side mounts and I have the 15" wire wheels. I think they are Daytons. The car had the original 20+ year old whitewall tires of an obsolete size (195-75-15). I put VW 165-80-15 blackwalls on (cheap at Wal Mart) which are about the same OD and have more that classic skinny tire look. The car was advertised as having the Pinto drive train. My mechanic gave me the news that it the donor was a Chevette. So I have the mighty 65 HP Isuzu SOHC and 4-speed tranny that underwhelmed Chevette owners back when. Actually, it is surprisingly zippy so I am not having turbo dreams. It has a Holly 2-bbl carb that could use some work or replacement; later on that. It starts and runs well enough for now. I am still sorting out what it is. I know the engine, trans, axle, and rear brakes are Chevette. I am not sure about the front end. The wheels are all 4-bolt but I will have to recheck to see if they used adapters. (I saw one CR Duke for sale that sat on Model A Ford wheels (17 or 19"?) That looked interesting.). I was thinking our car was a factory build, but I am not certain. Anyway, looking forward to what I can learn and share.

Oh Fun -- welcome to the Duke Thread! Post some pics of your Duke when you get the chance. The manual discusses Chevette builds but I have not heard of one until now so glad you found us.

Bruce

Linear Automotive got the Duke all fixed up with new ubolts and nuts on both sides of the rear. My Wife and I ran down in her ATS and picked it up and it came right home no problems.

DSCF0411.JPG

Left rear axle firmly bolted in place

DSCF0412.JPG

Right rear got the same new bolt action for good measure.

DSCF0413.JPG

DSCF0414.JPG

Okay, so the ground clearance is fixed -- now to think about the wheels / tires and fender gap -- without lowering the car again.

This was a good conclusion to this part of the adventure, and I am happy to recommend Joel and Linear Automotive to others. Things happen, much as we try to avoid them, but when they do I feel this was handled as well as it could be and would not hesitate to bring the car back to Linear Automotive for my next repair or upgrade.

Bruce

Oh Bob -- for reference, this album: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/111669618335209044868/albums/5906981046139170321

has the Classic Roadsters brochure and price sheet.

SCAN0012.JPG

like this page from the color brochure for example.

Bruce

I already cobbed your pix for the brochure and printed them out. Another bit of the puzzle comes together. Thanks. Another aside-before getting our Duke, we test drove a four seat Mercedes replica by Classic R. that was in Yuma. It had a 289 V8 and automatic, but the car was in need of quite a bit of restoration. The guy wouldn't budge down from $15k, so we passed.

The Marlene was the SSK replica; the Baron was the Mercedes 540K replica.

Marlene

Baron

Wikipedia says the actual 540K was introduced at the 1936 Paris Motor Show, the Friedrich Geiger designed car was a development to the 500K, itself a development of the SSK, so if they look very similar then there is a reason (they were).

Bruce

Took the Duke Roadster out and around and enjoyed an evening drive. The suspension is now smooth (as hoped), no wind-up or horsing around when I let off the gas or the tranny shifts gears. I have to travel this weekend and next week, but my next Duke project is to take the carb off and get that airhorn out of there.

Bruce

Great to hear that Linear stood tall and took care of the problems.......two2go, welcome to the forum and would love to see pictures of your car...I've learned more from Bruce's willingness to share than any other place I've looked..Rick

Rick

Perhaps we should have a dedicated Replicas or Classics Board, with a or Classic Roadsters or Duke Topic, an SSK replicas topic, a Cobra replicas topic, etc. Topics would be added as people showed up.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I agree and have moved this thread to that subforum within off-topic. That way other owners can start their own threads about their Dukes or other classics or replicas.

Bruce

The Marlene was the SSK replica; the Baron was the Mercedes 540K replica.

We looked at the Baron. Looked a lot like this, but I didn't like the feel of it driving it and it needed lots of work. Rust on the chrome, body chips, ripped upholstery, Might be worth $15k if in excellent condition. I did like the roll-up windows.

1936_mercedes302_v8-a4_seater1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got our car out for a little ride.First time with top removed and a world of difference between top on and topless and it was a blast.Step daughter stopped when she heard we had it out and I let her take drive and she just loved it.My bettter half snapped a couple new pics.looks like someone needs to update camera calender.Pics ar 5/26/2014Jag3.jpgJag4.jpg

Rick

lol your camera must have needed new batteries - note date is 2004?

You took the top totally off and set it aside, along with the bonnet? That's stripping down for a drive. I like the rear without the luggage rack. Is that pen-striping on the rear panels?

Bruce

Still detailing the engine compartment is why hood is off.Just another neglected area of the car,but making solid progress.My wife came down to the garage to discuss the boot repair and I said move your car out of the driveway and we'll take it out for a drive.So she did and we went for a nice little drive.Lots of fun.Noticed a couple issues to add to the list,but was real pleased.Good eye on the pin striping.Luggage rack and hood was done done sometime in its past and actually worn off in places.Some might call it patina ,but I call call it worn off from washing and waxing.Even had good luck at Advance Auto Parts finding the proper diameter air filter for the fabbed up retro look air cleaner I'm making and met a cool parts counter guy with a 1967 Impala. Rick

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted my Duke SS100 for sale on Craig's List.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/4508076292.html

1939 Jaguar Replica - $14500 (Plano)

00404_iAk0qhz4gcK_600x450.jpg

condition: good

1939 Jaguar Replica odometer: 16100 automatic transmission title : clean

For Sale: Classic Roadsters, LTD Duke SS100 Roadster (kit car / replica).

Full structural steel frame, rustproof fiberglass body. Front engine, rear-wheel drive automatic convertible. Originally produced by Classic Roadsters, LTD in Fargo, North Dakota, the Duke SS 100 is a recreation of the 1939 Jaguar SS 100. This Duke SS 100 is powered by a 1770 CC Toyota 3TC inline four cylinder engine circa 1981, offering reliable power with the option for future hot-rodding, along with a 3-speed Toyota Automatic transmission. Soft top with side curtains, but I don't take it out in the rain. Radio with CD player. Garaged.

This is not a VW based kit, but rather a custom chassis and body by Classic Roadsters, Ltd that uses Ford Mustang II components for much of the suspension. Should be very easy to work on, get parts for, and maintain. Some people think this looks like an MGTD, or a Morgan, classic roadster, but it would be more proper to say that all three bear some likeness to a classic 1930s car, the Jaguar SS100. With the Duke SS100 however, you can afford to drive and enjoy the car, with a reliable (relatively) modern 4 cylinder engine and modern running gear.

The Good: newly refreshed front suspension & springs; newly refreshed rear suspension. Brand new wire wheels and tires (including dual spares). MSD 6AL ignition and blaster coil. Starts, runs smoothly. Gets a lot of attention when out for a drive. Recent new Weber 32/36 carburetor. Current, clean title and inspection in Texas as a 1939 Jaguar Replica; driven on sunny days for enjoyment.

The Bad: Fuel gauge works, but wants a new sender. Paint is good for a 1985 (?) model, but not perfect.

Why am I selling? I am a Cadillac guy, and want to get a Cadillac for my weekend car. Willing to consider Cadillac convertible trades.

No rush, and I am still enjoying it. If it does sell then I will shop for a classic Cadillac convertible -- thinking 1968-1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible but we'll see.

Bruce

Son2 and GF had the Duke SS100 out for a spin. I meant to get a video but they snuck in through the neighborhood and missed the ideal up the street shot.

IMG_1804.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

Bruce

You sure have turned it into a fine car in a short time.

Whoa, such intense effort and improvements in a short time, and you are already selling?

Well, good luck. I will miss your running log of work and activities on your Duke. It was that that encouraged me that there were other replica owners out there.

BTW, it does look good and the new wheels and tires really add class.

I have very much enjoyed the Duke, and I am glad to have found other Duke owners to compare and contrast with. That's a fun part of cars is communicating with other car people ( the car-munity)

I have put my Duke up for sale because I would like my hobby / weekend car to be a classic Cadillac Convertible. I have spent a lot of time trying to make up my mind on this point; I don't want the Duke SS100 to be 'one of those cars' that people always say they regret selling and wish they had back. Poor Jim & Jim have had to listen to this debate several times before/after our weekly call, along with my local car friends, family, anyone who was polite enough to listen. While it is here I plan to continue to enjoy it every sunny day opportunity. But I think I would like to get a condition 3-4 classic Cadillac convertible to bring up from 4 to 3 or 3 to a better 3 or 2-.

Even once my Duke sells I am happy for us to continue to use this subforum on CaddyInfo to keep up with Classics and Replica Discussion. I see value in that and I sincerely get the appeal of these cars and enjoy hearing how each owner is bringing their Duke along.

Bruce

You have traveled a long road to get your car to the level it's at now.I say job well done and thanks for sharing your progress as it has been a goid mine of information and motivation for me.I have my motor compartment looking a little better and now doing the interior which also is a big mess.Need to get the seats back in asap as it gets inspected tomorrow after work.

Rick

In Texas seats are not on the inspection checklist, but I suppose you would want them in for getting it inspected lol.

My seats sit up several inches -- and are comfortable -- but I wonder if seats that sat down almost on the deck would suit better, so that the driver sat lower relative to the windscreen?

Bruce

Archived