CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Project: 1939 Jaguar SS100 Replica Classic Roadsters, LTD. "Duke"

The winch was a lifesaver.

We were surprised to find the Duke has no brakes, but likely a consequence of sitting in storage.

The last push up hill into garage was touchy, but we got a running start from up the street and made it almost all the way; close enough to muscle it in.

I likely need to drain the gas, refill the brake fluid, fix the leak, rechg or replace 6v battery, then sort out fuel pump, and chk if tires holding air. Good news is very simple, basic car to work on. Bad news is uncertain specification and condition.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The no-brakes condition is probably due to low brake fluid. Brake fluid is a heavy alcohol and can evaporate. If that's happened the seal on the master cylinder is not sealing. In any case I would start with an inspection of the wheel cylinders and brake lines. As you know, the wheel cylinders can be rebuilt but you will need to identify them to get the kits (cups, springs, etc) or you may be able to identify a kit with the diameter of the wheel cylinder bores. If the master cylinder has been dry for long, it will likely need a rebuild too but you can decide that after getting the brakes going.

I wouldn't bother recharging a battery that has been left sitting dead for long. I've never heard of one coming back from that one.

If you have trouble dealing with the mechanical fuel pump, an aftermarket electric fuel pump can bypass it.

JC Whitney is your friend.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I agree; I plan to pickup 6V battery, brake fluid, and a siphon setup to drain the fuel tank. My charger is also uncertain, and a battery tender or similar seems warranted for a weekend car.

Bruce

I was thinking of a battery tender with a quick disconnect for my wife's car in case she forgets and backs out of the garage. I use one on my motorcycle, and I no longer buy a new battery every spring.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I threw a new battery in the duke, and it came to life. It has a 6 cell battery but a 12 volt system (not a 6V system as I wrongly thought).

bruceinduke.JPG

The brakes started working with some vacuum? and pumping.

It has a solex carburetor on it, and won't idle. So although it is an automatic, driving with 2 feet to keep the engine going and the brakes on works. My impression is the fuel pump is needed to idle only on this type setup?

I have now been around the block in the Duke under its own power several times. It needs some sorting out of this and that -- but having fun already

Bruce

dist.jpg

Bottom of the Distributor: 3T-C
That makes this a 1770 cc (1.8L) Toyota I4, not a 1.7L as reported by a previous owner. This makes good sense as a US market easily available engine for the Duke, and is a 79-87 Toyota Corolla (E70) engine.

Bruce

I adjusted the idle screw on the Solex carb, and now the Duke idles around 1K rpm, and stays running (mostly).

When we got it home, the Duke read around 3/4 tank of fuel. After riding around in it, it started to read near full of fuel. I thought perhaps the fuel float had gotten trapped when it was on the ramps, and it was reading wrong.

It was still cutting out some at stop signs, etc. Still reading near full of fuel. Suddenly, it stopped altogether on a hill around the corner from my house. It wanted to start, but seemed like it was not getting gas.

Luckily some neighbors along that street were hugely helpful and pushed it to the curb, gave me some chemtool gas treatment, and took me for more gas.

We added 4 gallons of gas, and the car read 1/2 tank or so. With the new gas after some hesitation it started again.

By now my son had arrived to help push it home, and we drove it over to the gas station and added 7 more gallons. Now with 11 gallons (4 from the neighbor can, 7 from the pump) it reads 1/4 tank.

My Wife quickly solved the mystery -- can you see the pattern?

Bruce

Amazing! This car sound like it will be a daily driver by the end of next week.

Video of the Duke running

Got under the back and could see where the exhaust was apparently supposed to hang from and added a bolt to re-associate the exhaust pipe and hanger.

IMG_0833.JPG

Bruce

I adjusted the idle screw on the Solex carb, and now the Duke idles around 1K rpm, and stays running (mostly).

When we got it home, the Duke read around 3/4 tank of fuel. After riding around in it, it started to read near full of fuel. I thought perhaps the fuel float had gotten trapped when it was on the ramps, and it was reading wrong.

It was still cutting out some at stop signs, etc. Still reading near full of fuel. Suddenly, it stopped altogether on a hill around the corner from my house. It wanted to start, but seemed like it was not getting gas.

Luckily some neighbors along that street were hugely helpful and pushed it to the curb, gave me some chemtool gas treatment, and took me for more gas.

We added 4 gallons of gas, and the car read 1/2 tank or so. With the new gas after some hesitation it started again.

By now my son had arrived to help push it home, and we drove it over to the gas station and added 7 more gallons. Now with 11 gallons (4 from the neighbor can, 7 from the pump) it reads 1/4 tank.

My Wife quickly solved the mystery -- can you see the pattern?

Wires to fuel float hooked up backwards ?????

Posted Image

Can´t help thinking what The Duke would be like with a Jaguar drivetrain, 6 - 8 or even 12 cylinders, autotrans and a fourlink rearaxel from E-type? ;-)

Yes, always tempting to add more power. For now I would like to have the current equipment operating smoothly.

Because of the low and open nature of the Duke, 35 mph seems fast.

Bruce

Can´t help thinking what The Duke would be like with a Jaguar drivetrain, 6 - 8 or even 12 cylinders, autotrans and a fourlink rearaxel from E-type? ;-)

Yes, always tempting to add more power. For now I would like to have the current equipment operating smoothly.

Because of the low and open nature of the Duke, 35 mph seems fast.

:lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

I'll have you know this 1.8L Toyota makes more power than the ORIGINAL 1937ish SS100 2.4L six made.  Oddly, there is a hotrod subcommunity around these 3TC engines, and they sup them up to 500+ hp. 

But yes, on a good day the source Corolla made 85 hp, and no telling what it is making right now.  Bound to the 3 speed automatic it is subdued in its performance (to put it politely).

There is some inaudible audio at first but just a intro -- let's take the Duke around the block.

Changed the oil, which seemed to improve the engine's attitude about running.

Have plugs, wires, rotor, distributor enroute for pickup later today. Got a fuel pressure regulator but don't have it on yet.

Update: Changed wires, rotor, dist cap.

Bruce

The exhaust note sounds really healthy, and the transmission seems quite healthy too. But the power, handling, and brakes all seem to be quite good. Amazing for a car that only a week ago looked like a long restoration job, just needing the cobwebs cleared away.

I was very worried the Duke would not be running for a while, so I am thrilled. It is much easier to make a fix or update, then go for a drive than to work on a list of things and not have the car running.

Still popping a bit at idle, but doubtless the carb needs tuning (and cleaning). I am thinking of just whistling up a new carb since they are $200 or so and this one was advertised as rebuilt 7 years ago.

The Duke has significant chassis flex even under the mild torque by the 3TC engine, so I am wondering if a rear anti-roll bar will stiffen things up nicely. If you accelerate up to 40-50 and then let

off the gas one can feel the car sort of unwind.

USAA sent me to another company who quoted $1,200 for insurance for a year. Hagerty's collector car insurance quote was $182/year, so we'll see if they validate the quote.

State of Texas gave me a stack of forms and a check list to get the title sorted out. It has to go have non-emissions safety inspection.

The brake master cylinder looks like one out of a Chevy C30 truck, like a little bathtub with 2 sections, not like a Toyota brake booster. Because the Duke specified front disc rear drum the

brake master cylinder may have come with the kit?

3280043D-800B-4307-9CFE-40919FE1E89D.JPG

bottom right just to the left of the fuse panel

Bruce

This apparently is a view of the Duke chassis in kit form. Surprising to me that the kit had a bespoke chassis; my impression is often for kit cars the chassis comes from the donor vehicle.

%2524T2eC16FHJIYE9qUcNUGWBRYLs6cs%252C%2

I think I see why the chassis has a flex issue.

13-69920.jpg

Flyin' Miata has a 30 lb butterfly brace they use to strengthen Miatas that looks applicable by intention if not the right dimension.

Bruce

Here is a view from the back looking forward

photo.JPG

We made a shim from a bracket to use with the bolt and now the exhaust is back to not rattling again. I was warming up to trying a run over

to the muffler place, but not needed if this keeps up.

I adjusted the idle mix on the carb back to exactly 1 turn out from tight -- it was 1.5 turns previously.

My son and I took a challenge and went all the way to Starbucks -- which requires some 40+ mph travel to stay with traffic, and returned safely.

The Duke continues to smoothen out into a good running car. Still doesn't start right away, but it is a good running car when not out of gas.

I continue to think the VDO gas gauge is showing backwards, but that's another item on my list.

Hagerty came through and issued an insurance policy for the vehicle for LESS than their online quote. Nice. They were easy to deal with

and now we are set for the year. I mailed off paperwork to Arkansas the title office wants, so that is still in work. Turns out you can bring

your insurance on another car just to show them you usually have insurance and get the title/registration done, but now I have insurance

on this car so good.

Friday hopefully I can either pass safely inspection or get a list of things to address. Should do well -- blinkers, horn, brakes, lights all working.

Used the extra ebay dollars from buying the supercharger for the V to pay for most of a new air filter and shiny new housing for the carb

air filter.

What do you think about custom plates? Would you go with "39 SS100", "1939", "SS100", "Duke", "CR Duke" or random letters/numbers?

Bruce

Should I just leave it at "39 Jag"?

Took an 11 mile drive up to drop in on Robert and show him the Roadster

bobduke2.jpg

bobduke1.jpg

The title Lady said get the inspection station to do a VI-30, which is an inspection for lights/signals/etc.

Texas has legislated a "street rod" category which is a replica of a car from before 1948. That needs a form vtr872 ASE mechanic certification (of the same check steps as the other form?)

Our local mechanic shop is also an inspection station so I hope to go ask them Friday, then perhaps pay for both forms to be filled in (just in case).

P7030211.JPG

I love this T because it is so soft, but clearly I need to dress up more to drive an open car.

Bruce

Since it's not actually a Jaguar or an S100, I'm thinking innovation is a good basis for a custom tag that will look good after the first year. Therein lies the obvious hazard that innovation is difficult to judge in terms of future perspective. Who would have thought in 1957 that the Chevrolet would be an all-time classic? Or, in 1958, that the Edsel would... you get the idea.

The Duke seems to have been designed to be a reliable, serviceable daily driver and a dramatic visual statement, with little thought to performance. Excellent driveline, brakes, wheels and tires, excellent quality body and interior, but a minimal frame. So, since you're likely to be seen in it a lot, I would play to the visual statement. The performance will come with time, patience, thought and planning but it doesn't belong on the custom license tag IMHO.

With that out of the way, here are some offhand ideas:

ULKNATME

NICERIDE

SUNYDAY

OPENSKY

FALLNLUV

GATSBY

HITHERE

1939SUN

This car begs for a hat to keep the sun at bay. For example:

22166large.jpg

Archived