CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Slight hesitation when starting

(4.9 liter) Normally she fires right up but lately, usually after doing some running around town (so stopping and starting several times) the problem appears. At first she's fine. After the third or fourth starting in a short time the hesitation starts. At first I thought the battery was dead, but she always starts, eventually. So now I'm wondering if its a fuel thing? Moneys been tight so I have been putting mid-grade in the tank the last few weeks (there's been no knocking so didn't think it was hurting). I plan on premium only next few fillings to see if it helps...any other possible causes?

Are you referring to a delay in the starter engagement when the ignition key is turned to "Start"? Please provide additional detail.

If so, there could be corrosion at the cable that leads to the starter at the battery end or the starter solenoid may be going out. A starter rebuild shop can test the starter and repair what is wrong for much less than a POS starter from the chain stores.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hi KHE - no it engages as soon as I turn the key, but the engine will not turn over right away, like instead of (turn the key)VROOM, it's (turn the key)rrr...rr..VROOM. It reminds me of the sound it makes when the battery is low...who knows maybe that's it, but we just got that battery, it's brand new. I'll see if I can catch the sound with my iphone and post the video. It doesn't seem to do it until I've been driving around for a bit though.

I would have the charging system tested. This will test the battery, alternator, and starter. I have had new batteries be bad.

No more replies without pics. lol. I like your Sig picture

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Replying without a pic/vid...sorry! Just wanted to say I'm still trying to catch the problem on my ipod or iphone (the sound that is). It's so random, it's not easy to do. I'll post it as soon as I am successful! Took it to the shop this morning for AC charging, and now I'm hearing a new noise in the engine....ugh. May post later on that....I'm having the shop look into it meanwhile. Hope it's not serious!! :(

"....I like your Sig picture"

Thanks! :)

Oh when I said pics. I meant pics of the car lol

Well, I might be wandering off-topic a little bit here, but since you asked..... ^_^

IMG_1801_2_zpsf66c264c.jpg

All pics:

http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/lindamarie8/library/My%2093%20Cadillac%20Seville

Video of the starting issue still to come..........once I capture it! :unsure:

Thanks Texas Jim! :)

OK I finally got her doing her weird thing. Here's the video. You will have to turn up your volume to hear the engine, but all the dash lights flicker too. Hubby thinks we should check the battery. Premium gas has not made any difference (except in my wallet lol).

http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/lindamarie8/media/My%2093%20Cadillac%20Seville/IMG_0066.mp4.html

I watched the video. Does this car have a aftermarket alarm system installed?

Note: If you watch the video....You really need to listen super hard to hear the starter in the back ground...rrr...rrr...rrr...while the chime module is dinging.

I watched the video. Does this car have a aftermarket alarm system installed?

Note: If you watch the video....You really need to listen super hard to hear the starter in the back ground...rrr...rrr...rrr...while the chime module is dinging.

Yes that is why I said you will have to turn up your volume....in reality the engine is much louder and the chimes not so much.

I'm not sure about the alarm. We actually had to disconnect the horn because the wiring's so screwed up in that car that the horn would go off and the "security" light flashes on the dash (as well as the lights on the car) whenever I would park the car and then open the door to get out. The only way to stop the horn (which would eventually just blare continually...SO loud) was to disconnect the thing - so we just left it disconnected because we just cannot figure out how to get it to NOT go off. I hate it....I feel like some day I will really need that horn and end up getting hit or something cause I can't warn someone that I'm there. :( And the radio is screwy too....if I go to a car wash, I have to turn off the engine and then open and close my door to get the antenna to go down. They know me well there now....the lady that has to open her door so don't spray yet! lol Yup it was messed with big time before we ever got it.

I was trying to let others know...if they watch the video...what to exactly listen for. I had to watch it 4-5 times before I caught the rrr...rrr...rrr of the starter in the distant back ground of the chime module.

Ok.....does the car have a aftermarket remote start system or aftermarket stereo? Any aftermarket mystery electronics installed....alarms..remote start...dvd player..cd changer etc?

It might not even be a factory power antenna.

I don't think it's the battery...

Yes to both remote starter & aftermarket radio, but strange after 1 1/2 years that they now be possibly causing trouble? Not sure about the antenna, whether original or not.

Btw I totally forgot - the car came to us with factory radio, so I correct myself on the radio wiring. Hubby had such a hard time putting that radio in (the wiring is in the trunk not in the dash like he is used to) that the need to open the door to make the ant. go down is I believe a result of his inexperience with Caddies. This car has really tested his skills each time he's worked on something.....even tho she's old, she's still a cut above. :) However, the alarm/horn issue has always been there. The horn was disabled when we got her, now we understand why.

There is your problem....the aftermarket remote starter and radio.

Right about a year after those types of systems are installed the electrical gremlins will come to visit.

The real only fix is to go back and yank it all out. I personally would not drive the car until it gets sorted out...you are on the edge of a $1000 no start repair bill....or worse...a engine stall at the most inopportune time..

Well that sucks. What am I to put in place of the radio, another old cassette factory thing? Not even sure hubby could retofit one if we could even find one. And the thought of going outside to start the car on 3˚ winter mornings doesn't exactly thrill me....what a bummer. We will check the battery just to be sure....as what you are saying is pretty serious, so hopefully we would luck out and that would fix it...fingers and toes are crossed!! Thanks so much for your help Logan, I would never have thought it was the radio and remote starter.

I listened to the video and it's clearly the starter laboring until it fires that first time and spins the engine. I would have the battery checked, and check the battery cables, including where the ground cable goes to the engine and to the starter solenoid. If those are OK, this gets us to the starter and solenoid.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

OK thanks Cadillac Jim, we are definitely going to try ruling out the battery or starter before taking out the radio and remote starter.....try to pick the low hanging fruit. I do appreciate all the advice guys. Will let you know when we figure out what the culprit is.

• 2 months later...

:hatsoff:

I love the photograph of the car earlier in the Topic. It's a beautiful car. Congratulations on finding and fixing the problem.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

:hatsoff:

I love the photograph of the car earlier in the Topic. It's a beautiful car. Congratulations on finding and fixing the problem.

Thanks CJ! Yes she is holding up well for an old gal. Still LOVE driving her, she's so so comfortable. Overall she's been a very strong running, reliable car too! ^_^

Archived