CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'04 Base Deville New Front Struts... What to buy?

Well I have haven't finished the previous wheel bearing project on the Seville, so I thought while I am at work, I better get my ducks in a row for new struts on the front of the '04 Deville. It is a base car, so nothing fancy in the suspension. It doesn't look too easy, but i think it is do able in the garage. I have tightened the transmission pan and stopped the leaking for now, so I thought I should do the struts while I am doing the transmission fluid change next week. Has anyone replaced the struts on a similar Deville recently? I replaced the rears with Gabriel Hijackers last fall, and the fronts have a lot of float on the highway. Today I bottomed the front out pretty hard in an intersection at 20 mph. I would be curious to hear your thoughts on brand, etc.

Thanks

Ohio Jim

Monroe sells OEM quality struts and shocks at a decent price. I don't know if the base Deville has RSS but I wouldn't be surprised if it does. You can find out by running the codes and see if there is an RSS module after the ABS module. Or, you can find the option sheet and see what suspension options that you have. RSS is option F45 in 1997. The suspension options are FE1 for "soft ride" and FE3 for "sport." Either can have F45, which uses the electronic shocks.

If you want to keep the OEM ride and handling, you will want to keep the electronic shocks if you have them. Monroe is your best bet in my opinion. The non-electronic struts are about $60 each and the electronic struts are about $325 each.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Jim,

Thnaks for your response. I do not have RSS, so I am looking for a good aftermoarket shock. I bought the car with 22,k and it always seemed too soft. I will look into the Monroe's.

Ohio Jim

Archived