CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air Ducting to CAI DIY Mod #Motorama

Air Ducting to CAI DIY Mod #Motorama

Posted on May 17, 2013by bwnunnally

What benefit is there to routing air from the lower bumper to the cold air intake?

41JSATY7EVL.jpg

Spectre Performance 8746 Blue Air Duct Hose

I have a Spectre Cold Air intake on my 2008 Cadillac STS-V. Today’s question is, what if we ducted cold air from the bumper to the CAI instead of to brake cooling as designed?

Read More: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/air-ducting-to-cai-diy-mod-motorama/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

First, when air is cooler at the height of the intake than wherever your factor cold air intake is (behind the left headlight?), you will begin with cooler air. Unfortunately whether the air will be cooler at bumper height than at grille height depends on conditions. On a hot road on a summer day, the road will have a layer of hot air on it that can be a couple of feet thick or more, and the grille will give you cooler air. On a still evening, the road will be cooler and bumper air will be cooler. For all-around driving and mostly daytime driving, I would leave it at the grille level.

One thing that you may (or may not) get at bumper level is higher pressure, unless the grille is specifically designed to build up a little pressure at speed. The brake air cooling isn't very sensitive to incoming air temperature be cause by the time the brakes need cooling they are a lot hotter than any ambient air that they can get. What they need is volume of air, not necessarily the coolest air possible.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Spectre air filter is so dirty I am suspending testing until a replacement and cleaning kit arrive Wed or Thurs.

I need to consider some air flow test just to see how air flows in the air box area -- maybe small stringers or strings and a video camera to try to tell air flow at speed.

Also I see some CTS-V guys just get the car into 2nd for launches, and I would like to try that strategy as an alternate.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived