CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Holy Toledo -- Barn Find 1939 Packard stored in a tank

1940-Packard-Super-8-Formal-Sedan-Limo-i

TOLEDO—Jerry Brummett saw beauty and utility in a ratty 1940 Packard Super 8 Formal Sedan parked in a farmer's field in the early 1960s.

He bought it for $350 and used it to haul his motorcycles to local races. But the young man had no money to restore the luxurious sedan that he later learned was once owned by a co-founder of Champion Spark Plug Co.

So in 1966, Brummett stashed the car, welding it into a giant steel tank that had been removed from a nearby gas station, and kept it sealed up in his backyard outside Toledo for 44 years.

Brummett pulled the Packard out of its steel sarcophagus in 2010 and began a two-year, $80,000 restoration.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the resotriation photos, the car was a total disaster by the early 1960, which makes the restoration job that much more remarkable.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW.............

Spent $80k to restore it ands its estimated worth is $60k !

Poor investment..................

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

If he restored it for $80K to sell it for $60K, it's a poor investment. If he has other plans, like keeping and showing the car, and another car like his restored car is not available at any prices, he may feel good about what he has.

Myself, I think a restored classic car is like a sailboat or a beach home. If it's not a big part of your lifestyle, you need to figure out if it's worth what it takes to keep it in good shape. But if it *is* a big part of your lifestyle, then there you are and there you are.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived