CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 eldorado touring crank shaft stuck and bad motor

chefmatrod

it all started with engine cutting off while driving changed spark plus,changed cables,changed coil packs all 4 of them... .codes showed s050 so local advaced auto said cam shaft poistion sensor, changed that ... still same problem will cut off while driving.......so took it to garage they say its bad motor and crank shaft is stuck and wont move... asking $1300 in labour to change another motor,, which i dont have one yet..... is it realy worth spending that money or should i just let it go ????? i do love this car a lot !!!!1

Either they are really trying to pull a fast one or the engine is shot lol.

If the crank was seized it would not run at all. Definately need some more info on this one

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

S050 Road Sensing Suspension Module Fault

This has nothing to do with the motor at all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

it all started with engine cutting off while driving changed spark plus,changed cables,changed coil packs all 4 of them... .codes showed s050 so local advaced auto said cam shaft poistion sensor, changed that ... still same problem will cut off while driving.......so took it to garage they say its bad motor and crank shaft is stuck and wont move... asking $1300 in labour to change another motor,, which i dont have one yet..... is it realy worth spending that money or should i just let it go ????? i do love this car a lot !!!!1

:bsmeter:

You have onboard diagnostics on the car - no need to have the parts selling monkies at Advance pull a code to sell you parts you don't need...

If the engine starts, the crankshaft is not siezed... Please provide some additional information so we can help you with your car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Either they are really trying to pull a fast one or the engine is shot lol.

If the crank was seized it would not run at all. Definately need some more info on t

but it all started when i changed oil 2 weeks back very next day it started cutting off...so i changed spark plugs,cable and coil pack and sensor... but this was somthing i found surprising i just changed oil and drove not even 6 miles it said check oil level so i added 1 quart. i dint see nothing on the floor dropped... drove back for few miles again and it said check oil level. so i checked the stick it was very dry ... thats when i took it to garage ... and i know for sure i dint heat up the motor cause i live 3 miles from work,,,

Does it have oil in it now? Could this be a double-gasket on the oil filter kind of problem where the oil blew out of the system?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sorry fo asking but......

Does the motor crank when You turn the key?

How much oil did You fill at the exchange?

Any greasy spots on the floor or under the motor?

Did You stop immediatly when the message came on?

Is the oilplug in place and tightened?

Did you change the filter?

Did You oil the filtergasket?

Did You check the correct dipstick?

How many quarts of oil did you put in when you changed the oil? On a oil and filter change both of my northstars take 7 quarts to fill to the center of the hatched section. if you put the 8 quarts that alot of places say it takes it will fill it to the full mark and will be over when the engine warms. If I remember right the Guru stated that the engine can be run with as little as 5 quarts of oil under certain conditions.

Bear in mind that the low oil light comes on at 2 quarts low

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Does it have oil in it now? Could this be a double-gasket on the oil filter kind of problem where the oil blew out of the system?

yes it does have oil in fact the garage said it had more oil then it supposed to !!!!!!

How many quarts of oil did you put in when you changed the oil? On a oil and filter change both of my northstars take 7 quarts to fill to the center of the hatched section. if you put the 8 quarts that alot of places say it takes it will fill it to the full mark and will be over when the engine warms. If I remember right the Guru stated that the engine can be run with as little as 5 quarts of oil under certain conditions.

Bear in mind that the low oil light comes on at

Bear in mind that the low oil light comes on at 2 quarts low

5 and then 1+1 !!!!

Sorry fo asking but......

Does the motor crank when You turn the key?

How much oil did You fill at the exchange?

Any greasy spots on the floor or under the motor?

Did You stop immediatly when the message came on?

Is the oilplug in place and tightened?

Did you change the filter?

Did You oil the filtergasket?

Did You check the correct dipstick?

no it wont crank !!! 5 quarts and the 2 !!! !no spots !!!! yes in fact not more the 3 miles !!! i dont know abt oil plugs cause i dint change the oil myself i let the garage did it this time!!!! yes filter been changed !!!! i dont know abt filter gasket and i dint check the dipstick i only checked when it showed check oil levell

When you say it didn't crank, did it turn over at all? If not, did the starter engage and just stall trying to turn over the motor? Or, did nothing happen, or just a click?

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

With the key OFF, take the RF tire off and the car well supported, remove the inspection covers in the wheel well to expose the crank pulley, and use an 18 or 19mm socket with extension to turn the crank. Does it turn? Does the starter engage? Do the lights dim when you turn the key to start? Is there any noise when you turn the key to start?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Did you drive it to the shop ??

no i did not !!!!! i wont crank but did run good the previous day !!! so i just pulled it to garage !!!!

Ulness the timing chain (which is metal) broke or the engine overheated and caused the engine to seize, it's odd that it won't crank uless there is an electrical problem. I take it that when you turn the key nothing happens?

Is the battery still good?

• battery is good !!! i will try to contact the previous owner and see if he can give me more info on that car....garage said may be coolant has got into motor ....nothing written !!! how much is a fair price to put in another motor just the labour ??? i think i can find another motor easy but i just dont trust the garage and mechancis in here !!!!

If coolant actually mixed with oil eventually you would notice there is something wrong, such as the engine running hot or is overheating since water in oil indicates blown headgasket(s). I notice the mechanic said that maybe coolant got into the motor, which would make me suspicious since I would think he wouldn't need to speculate about it. In other words, he would do a coolant pressure test and/or pull plugs--something! So I would be suspicious that maybe he is trying to convince me that the engine needs to be replaced or is need of major repair when it's not so bad. Also, I've never heard of an engine not being able to crank because of coolant in oil. If a headgasket is blown and multiple combustion chambers have water inside then it would be an easy diagnosis by pulling plugs.

Get the car away from the hack "mechanic". It is obvious he does not know his rear end from a hole in the ground when it comes to a Northstar and you will pay dearly for his learning if you let him continue to mess with it...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

chefmatrod, If you came to this forum for advice you should start using some. I am not sure if you are mechanically inclined but you really should try turning the crankshaft by hand to eliminate possible seized engine as the problem. If it is actually seized, then you would price engine replacement, but the members here are not inclined toward helping you waste money. Also joeb suggested removing the belt to see if the A/C is keeping it from turning over. You need to do some investigating before spending a large amount of money.

There are lots of reasons a car won't turn over when the battery is good. The most common with 90's Northstars is a bad battery cable to the starter. Those have three positive cables that have separate terminals sandwiched inside the big plastic cover at the battery connection, and corrosion can get between them. One goes to the alternator, one powers the car, and one goes to the starter, so the car can seem to be fine and the battery good but the starter still gets no power.

90's Cadillacs have a theft prevention system that will prevent the car from cranking if the pellet in the key doesn't make good contact with the terminals inside the ignition switch. I've fixed that on mine a couple of times by getting a new key. That's second on the list.

The first thing I would do is get the car out of those guys' shop even if I have to tow it home. The second thing I would do is run the OBD codes and post them back here on Caddyinfo. To do that, turn on the key and press the A/C <Off> and <Pass Warmer> buttons at the same time and hold them down until all the dash lights come on like you just turned on the key. Then release the buttons and watch the driver messages for a list of the codes. It will show a "PCM?" prompt when it is done. If you need to see them again because you missed one, press <Off> and they will start over. When you are done, turn off the key.

• battery is good !!! i will try to contact the previous owner and see if he can give me more info on that car....garage said may be coolant has got into motor ....nothing written !!! how much is a fair price to put in another motor just the labour ??? i think i can find another motor easy but i just dont trust the garage and mechancis in here !!!!

You didnt answer the questions I asked. It does not matter if the battery is good !!! Please answer the questions I asked or please stop posting because we can NOT help you unless you provide details and answers to questions, its a waste of time for us to guess

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

i do appreciate all you guys helping me !!! i did got the car home already and i still believe the car is still good and will run again ...i cooked most of my life for leaving so cars are way out of my line but i do understand something abt, this car,, 2 yaers ago when i bought this car was smoking almost 5 of the garages here said head gasket but i waited till i met the right guy and it was just a simple fix .... so i might ahve to do the same this time be patient and wait till i find the right person !!! by no mean iam trying to waste anybody time...i just love this car so much and i will not let ii go so easy !!!! i jst ran the codes it showed p032 and p050 both as current...

Archived