CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1997 cadillac deville d'elegance gauges

Hey guys long time no type. I have been working a lot but that's the life of a chef I guess. I am having trouble out of my sisters 1997 cadillac deville d'elegance. the insterment panel is glitching out on her and I was wondering if I can just replace the electic on with a normal (analog I guess) one?

Please let us know more information about what his happening with your instrument panel. Are there any OBD codes or other information that might help find a simple fix?

I would hope that we can find a bad connector or cracked fuse or whatever. Changing the instrument panel is quite a job. If the IPM comes with it, you need to take the old and new ones to the dealer to get the data transferred over. Changing from a digital to an analog cluster might be more difficult than just plug-and-play, even with dealer reprogramming. For example, one thing that the IPM carries in memory is all the car's options - including digital vs. analog instrument panel; you can see the logical issue that can arise.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Also the fact that the information center and the climate control are in with the digital cluster

And the analog cluster has the info center and climate control in the center console above and below the radio unit.

I would also like to hope there is some codes to help. What exactly is it doing? What cluster is in there now?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Should be plug and play. The vehicle mileage stays with the IPC. Also some of the options may not be correct.

Fortunately....the dealers cannot change the mileage in the cluster. If they could...we would all be driving low mileage Cadillacs.

You may/can walk the IPC to a Delco radio/speedometer repair shop. They have the expensive Delco terminal to set the options and mileage.

We just posted on top of each other...

"And the analog cluster has the info center and climate control in the center console above and below the radio unit." Dont know about that..is it not like the cluster pictured? Also...on the Deville....I think the digital is the 'normal' cluster.

post-2-0-86611200-1365869859_thumb.jpg

it is glitch as in has dark spots over the gas reading. the data ticker thingy at the bottom seems to be jumbled.. she will be here when I get home today so ill take a picture of it and post it. I was going to check her fuses today and all that jazz.

And....not too bad to swap out. The top of the dash has to come off to gain access.

post-2-0-14112300-1365870396_thumb.jpg

I just had something like this on my '97 Deville. I pulled the entire center cluster from a junk yard dog. I put that cluster in and everything worked until I went to start the car. I got the starting disabled error message, then went to the internet for further help. The cluster neds to be programmed to the car, not bad I thought so I caled a few dealers here in Denver, CO and they wanted more than $300.00 to program it. Upon further research I found a post on another forum that this one guy swapped the middle board ODO, Fuel level, Mileage and the much needed information center. Plugged the unit in thinking here goes nothing and everything worked perfectly all the light lit up and the car started right away. Hope this helps and if you need any other info please let me know.

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

That is correct. I think the odometer portion is stored in that board also.

The Deville floor shift model, Concours and or d elegance got the analog cluster like the seville and eldorado.

Any column shift Deville got the digital cluster though

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

she was sitting in traffic and it just went dead, but it has gas and the lights come on. I was thinking maybe the battery didn't have enough life in it to keep it running but enough to turn on the lights.

The battery cable, on the positive terminal, has three big red wires. One goes to the alternator armature, one goes to the Maxifuse blocks, and one goes to the starter. It could be one of those cables lost its connection inside the red terminal where it bolts onto the battery. You might take it off and clean it out, paying particular attention to getting all three spades out and cleaning between them.

Also it could be that one or both of your ignition fuses or fuel injector fuses, or the PCM fuse is out.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived