CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 DeVille Coolant leak

jndnaps

It's not huge job, however it does take some careful finessing...Remove dash top, vents, being VERY careful with the cluster, it's like an electronic sandwich

look1-1-1.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The instrument panel bulbs rarely go out, particularly if you run with the instrument lights dimmed at all. I couldn't find anything in the 1997 FSM on changing these bulbs.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The instrument panel bulbs rarely go out, particularly if you run with the instrument lights dimmed at all. I couldn't find anything in the 1997 FSM on changing these bulbs.

I'm sure the reason the bulbs are not mentioned in the shop manual is because GM expects to have the consumer purchase the entire climate control panel. Radio Shack would probably have a bulb that could be soldered into place.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Then, the procedure is to remove the climate control panel, replace the bulbs with bulbs and a micro-soldering iron, all from Radio Shack, and re-install the climate control panel.

If all the bulbs stopped lighting at once there may be a fuse or connector causing the problem.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Oh well, I'll live with it.. They used to come back on every once in a while, but not for a while now.. I forgot about them when I had the cluster out to get fixed..

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

If they all come on and go off at the same time, it's the wiring, not the bulbs.

If they all come on and go off at the same time, it's the wiring, not the bulbs.

All the other bulbs work except the off and auto button.. And they would go on and off at the same time. Either the two are linked, or there's one bulb that lights up the two.. I'm not taking the dash back apart for that, I'll live with it. Don't go out much at night anyways..

Well, the Off and Auto buttons are right next to each other on the lower right. If you are ever looking at the printed circuit board again, find the circuits to the bulbs and make sure that they are OK. A little extra solder on a bad spot or where a wire is soldered to the board might do the trick. In the meantime, it does seem like a nit. I just like to keep my car perfect, and I'm sure you do too.

Update on the critter. The Critter Ridder spray didn't work.. The critter is back under the hood.. So don't waste any money on it, it doesn't work at all.. Well it worked on me, just not the critter.. Next step is a few boxes of Irish Spring soap.. Other than that, all is good.. :yupi3ti:

I know what you mean about not wanting to give up on your old car. I had a 94 Concours with sunroof. I loved that car, oil leak and all. It was my first taste of a northstar. The oil leak was a love hate thing but when it started overheating I tried everything I could to find a solution other than pulled headbolts. It served me well, I put over 100,000 miles on it and I retired it at 167,000 miles. It is now a yard ornament and donar car for my 97 Deville. I would like to restore it but I am afraid that may not come to pass. My wife is driving her mothers 2004 Deville but I really don't like it as well as the post 99 models.

I know what you mean about not wanting to give up on your old car. I had a 94 Concours with sunroof. I loved that car, oil leak and all. It was my first taste of a northstar. The oil leak was a love hate thing but when it started overheating I tried everything I could to find a solution other than pulled headbolts. It served me well, I put over 100,000 miles on it and I retired it at 167,000 miles. It is now a yard ornament and donar car for my 97 Deville. I would like to restore it but I am afraid that may not come to pass. My wife is driving her mothers 2004 Deville but I really don't like it as well as the post 99 models.

Yeah, I love this old DeVille.. And it has that oil leak too.. It still turns a lot of heads out there.. :)

Archived