CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Twin Turbo 3.6L V6 for CTS to make 420 HP with 8 Speed Transmission!!

Cadillac 3.6L Twin-Turbo V6 Official Info Released!

Posted on March 18, 2013 by bwnunnally

Very good news — was concerned this might arrive at 380 hp and not 420 hp. This is quite exciting! Best of all — this is the non-V CTS Engine!! 0-60 mph in 4.6 sec!

8 Speed Transmission and 420 hp in a lighter CTS? Excellent!

• 420 horsepower (313 kW) / 430 lb-ft of torque (583 Nm) – SAE certified
  • Most power-dense six-cylinder in segment at 118 hp/liter
  • Cadillac’s first twin-turbo engine and eight-speed automatic transmission

2014-GM-V6LF3-009-medium.jpg

Read more: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-3-6l-twin-turbo-v6-official-info-released/</p>

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

the CTS gets 2L turbo 4, 3.6L V6, and TT V6.

CTS-V not announced yet but likely s/c V8

big Question is what will ATS-V get?

Bruce

The 13 ATS lineup uses a 202hp 2.5L Four, the 272hp 2L Turbo 4, and the 321hp 3.6L V6, then an engine to be announced for ATS-V.

The 14 CTS lineup uses the 272hp 2L Turbo 4, 321hp 3.6L V6, and 420hp 3.6L TT V6, then an engine to be announced for CTS-V.

The current standard 202 hp "LCV" engine in the ATS although a 2.5L Four is quite an improvement over the 'iron duke' 85-110 hp four. It is a 3rd generation development of the Ecotec family; article: http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/11466/

Bruce

Cadillac announced today their engine lineup for the next-generation CTS that will be shown at the New York show next week. The lineup includes the 2.0T four-cylinder, 3.6L V6, and a new 3.6L V6 with twin turbos. This engine produces an immense 420 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.

So how does it compare to the competition? For curiosity sake, I have created a comparison chart with the new TT V6 and the competition. My thoughts are underneath the table.

Read more by MudMonster: http://www.cheersandgears.com/blog/3/entry-13-by-the-numbers-cadillacs-tt-v6-vs-v8s/

Bruce

Ah. One confusing factor may be that today's announcement is about engines for next year's re-designed CTS, not the current model.

Bruce

The govt fuel standards are driving a lot of turbo 4 & 6 development. I bet the SC V8 goes away. The 4 cyl info is interesting though. Dual balance shafts and 1 of the shafts turns the dual output oil pump which activates the dual lobe cams for hi/lo valve lift. Bet oil flow is critical for all these bits?

I agree on any of the VVT engines oil flow is important. I think we'll still see the S/C variant of the new 5th gen LT1 engine in the next CTS-V, but you may be right. Another rumor is if the 7L variant of the LT1 hits 600+ hp we might see the CTS-V get that.

Keep in mind CTS-V is a limited production vehicle, so Cadillac can sell a few hundred more 2.5L CTS's to offset the CTS-V mpg.

Bruce

My "new" CTS-V seems to get about the same gas mileage as my 1997 ETC around town, perhaps a little better, with it's 1st - 4th shift in normal driving, like the shift gate in the manual six-speed. On the road it gets about 20 mpg; the ETC got 22 mpg or so in the same driving. I can get better by optimizing the speed that I set my cruise control on for gas mileage. A lead foot with a turbo/SC or even normally aspirated V6 will get less. But, I beat EPA, and EPA is what they will go by.

Curiously, I get EPA with the 1997 ETC but beat it easily with the CTS-V.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I've only been home with it a day and just washed the road dirt off late yesterday. I haven't taken the photos yet.

Besides, the circular fisheye and 17 mm f/4 ultra wide angle are film camera lenses, and I haven't used my film camera in over a year now. I need to think about it for a couple of yours.

Soon. Very soon. Expect imagination. Right now I gotta go for a ride with my wife.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

You said cts-v in post but your info says Sts-v. It also says 6.2l sc motor which the cts-v has while the Sts-v has the sc 4.4 NS. But we all know that.

And, my display name is Jims_97_ETC and my signature and avatar photos are of one of those!

Fixed. Sorry. I'm about to go out and take some pictures. If I like what I get, my profile pics will change shortly, too. I'm still thinking about my display name. I've never changed it before and when I change it I want to get it right the first time.

For a good time, check out my CaddyInfo blogs on the 1997 ETC and the 2011 CTS-V:

The 1997 ETC: Click Here

The 2011 CTS-V: Click Here

A salvage outfit in Iowa likes cts-v's it seems. He has 4 for sale in various states of damage. It's a bit disconcerting to see pics of an 2011 V with a crushed front end and 2200 miles. A bit off topic but it's still V stuff.

The urge to let the gorilla out can be overwhelming to some people. A lot of new high-performance cars are wrecked or put up for sale at low mileage because their new owner/driver just couldn't help himself and got too many tickets or had a wreck and couldn't keep the car. We've seen that here with the STS.

Archived