CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New (to me) Caddy!

davedog

Well guys, after owning my 2005 SRX for 7 years, I finally got 'the itch' and sold it in January and bought a 2010 SRX Premium. REALLY love this vehicle! Got some small kinks worked out under warranty through the local dealership (transmission software update to improve shift points - man this makes a HUGE difference in how these things drive, and a new radio due to it forgetting the settings every time you left the vehicle for more than 10 minutes). Also had the joy of realizing while hand-washing the car for the 2nd time that the wheels that were on the car were originally the Chrome Tech wheels and that CarMax (where I purchased the SRX), had PAINTED THEM! I realized this when the paint started flaking off on my sponge! I guess they had some curbing or something and someone thought it would be OK to paint over chrome. But to make a long story short they eventually made it right and I ended up with the new 2013 version polished aluminum wheels for free (which I like better since they are a solid wheel instead of the plastic cap chrome techs). Getting the 2013 wheels made me look into the 2013 grill which I found on eBay new for $100 shipped! Put that on a few days ago, and wow - it looks awesome. Anyway, just had to share - been with you guys from the days of the old forums (when it looked like notebook paper), when I was in college with the 87 Deville, then the 92 eldorado, then the 2005 SRX, then the 2008 CTS for the wife....lol......

DSC05072-XL.jpg

DSC05117-XL.jpg

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Nice!! Congrats on the new Cadillac. I really liked the SRX when I tested one. Looking forward to your reports.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks Bruce! If anyone has any questions, so far I'm an 'expert' in the (well documented) radio issues, and also on replacing the grill. :D

Sweet car, fine photograph. Congratulations on the evolution of your Cadillacs and pride of ownership. I love that deep red color.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The "pod" car! I imagine Texas Jim's car getting caught between 2 semi's in a low speed crash. Caddy took a DTS and cut 1 ft off the front and 2 feet off the rear. I guess deep down, it's still a caddy.

The "pod" car! I imagine Texas Jim's car getting caught between 2 semi's in a low speed crash. Caddy took a DTS and cut 1 ft off the front and 2 feet off the rear.

I guess deep down, it's still a caddy.

Yes it is and a nice one at that.

I have driven a few of them when my car was in for service.

One of them I had for a couple of days.

Took a 300 mile trip in it.

It is a VERY nice car...

Posted Image

I've always liked the look of the SRX. It uses the chassis of a small sedan but with a sort of fastback station wagon use of rear space instead of a trunk. I've never driven one myself but it looks to be well balanced. With the 3.6 liter DI V6 and over 300 hp, this car is a performer, too.

The Deville and the new XTS are designed to a different concept.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Posts from my SRX test drive:

2010 Cadillac SRX 3L:

The Pickup | Sex in the City 2 | Luxurious Space |

100_1356x-1024x682.jpg

Other articles on the SRX: http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/category/cadillac-models/srx-cadillac-models/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Where did carmax dig up NEW $700 ea oem wheels? So they put new wheels on ur srx and reused the tires it came with? Or swapped both wheels/tires from another srx?

Where did carmax dig up NEW $700 ea oem wheels? So they put new wheels on ur srx and reused the tires it came with? Or swapped both wheels/tires from another srx?

What difference does it make ???

He got new wheels and he is happy with them...

Personally, I am happy for him... That is a nice car and it has nice looking wheels on it.

Posted Image

They reused the original tires, but also installed new TPMS (not sure why). The claimed they were repeatedly brand new wheels/sensors - I don't have any reason to think otherwise as they looked perfect. When I went in to have them finally replaced, they had one of the wheels (still in the box/plastic) out for me to inspect. When they were not looking I snapped a pic of the UPS label. They came from an outfit in FL called 'Coast to Coast International' (http://www.coast2coastinternational.com/) - so obviously not directly from GM or the dealership. I'm guess they are pulls from where buyers upgraded at the dealership to something else? I don't really care, I bought a used car - so as long as the wheels are not paint over chrome & peeling I'm a happy camper.

The process in correcting the issue with CarMax was a logistical nightmare (not that they didn't want to make it right, but no one ever seemed to know what was going on, what the status was, etc) - but after about 3 weeks the end result was them going above and beyond what they were obligated to do on a used car, so I applaud them for that. I just feel bad for all the other buyers who might not notice the wheels had been painted until after the 30 day bumper to bumper CarMax warranty expires, as I last time I checked their website I could count 5 other SRX's with painted Chrome Tech wheels (now that I know what to look for).

Congrats Davedog!, she's a beauty

Refresh my memory, what kind of Caddy did you have an Eldorado?, didnt you have a tranny problem?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Good memory, it was actually a Dark Green 1992 ETC. Most people thought it was black though. Was a solid car, never had a tranny issue. Just minor stuff here and there. Miss that car sometimes....

P4030041-XL.jpg

P4030044-XL.jpg

Love the wheels were they gotten from Cardio-Doc?

How did you wax that car, its beautiful, what did you use?

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

BBF,

The wheels were a Christmas gift one year, I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe they are Cardio-Doc wheels.

And I'm a horrible Cadillac owner, instead of waxing the car I use the Meguiar's car wash solution with the 'wax' in it ( www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g17748-ultimate-wash-wax/ ). Not sure if it really has any of the same benefits of truly waxing the car, but it sure makes them shine!

I am a big Meguiar's fan, never used that ultimate wash wax because I like waxing it by hand, but I can see me using it, your finish looks incredible in those photos. That car looks like it came out of the showroom with 6 miles on it!

An outfit like CarMAX is going to have relationships and facilities in-place to get warranty work on the cars it deals with. How it ships the parts is another matter.

I took a quick look at Coast to Coast International's web site from your link and it looks like they specialize in OEM replacement wheels, grilles, wear-and-tear and minor collision commonly needed parts for current model cars. That strikes me as exactly the type of capability that CarMAX is likely to have. They may have a relationship with CCI or even common ownership with CCI.

That makes sense. When I looked at the tracking info it actually went from CCI to a local Keystone Automotive (www.keystoneautomotive.com) distributor, then to CarMax.

Since I still have about a year of factory warranty, while I was under the 30 day CarMax warranty I still took it to my local caddy dealership for all issues, except the wheels - since I knew GM wouldn't do anything due to the fact that they had been modified (painted).

In the end, the more I researched the Chrome Tech wheels, the more I am very thankful that things turned out like they did.

They reused the original tires, but also installed new TPMS (not sure why). The claimed they were repeatedly brand new wheels/sensors - I don't have any reason to think otherwise as they looked perfect. When I went in to have them finally replaced, they had one of the wheels (still in the box/plastic) out for me to inspect. When they were not looking I snapped a pic of the UPS label. They came from an outfit in FL called 'Coast to Coast International' (http://www.coast2coa...ernational.com/) - so obviously not directly from GM or the dealership. I'm guess they are pulls from where buyers upgraded at the dealership to something else? I don't really care, I bought a used car - so as long as the wheels are not paint over chrome & peeling I'm a happy camper.

The process in correcting the issue with CarMax was a logistical nightmare (not that they didn't want to make it right, but no one ever seemed to know what was going on, what the status was, etc) - but after about 3 weeks the end result was them going above and beyond what they were obligated to do on a used car, so I applaud them for that. I just feel bad for all the other buyers who might not notice the wheels had been painted until after the 30 day bumper to bumper CarMax warranty expires, as I last time I checked their website I could count 5 other SRX's with painted Chrome Tech wheels (now that I know what to look for).

Congrats on your recent purchase! Let us know if you any product questions or other concerns regarding your '10 SRX. I would also suggest registering your vehicle with the Cadillac Owner Center. This is a GM designed tool for owners to see their warranty and other such information. I hope you enjoy for a long time to come!

Matt,

Cadillac Customer Assistance

http://www.cadillac.com/owners/owners.html

Congrats on your recent purchase! Let us know if you any product questions or other concerns regarding your '10 SRX. I would also suggest registering your vehicle with the Cadillac Owner Center. This is a GM designed tool for owners to see their warranty and other such information. I hope you enjoy for a long time to come!

Now this is a well kept secret. Can this registration be done online? Is it for certain model year cars? Does it also track extended warranty coverage?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Good memory, it was actually a Dark Green 1992 ETC. Most people thought it was black though. Was a solid car, never had a tranny issue. Just minor stuff here and there. Miss that car sometimes....

P4030041-XL.jpg

P4030044-XL.jpg

Right, it was dark green. I think the last straw was the leveling system that made Davedog give up. !992-2000 Eldos are beauties, indeed.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Wow, your memory is scary-good. :blink: Yeah, it was a bunch of little things but yes, the leveling system combined with the fact that I already had the itch for a new caddy, and then came across an excellent deal on that 2005 SRX...well...the rest is history. If I had a three car garage and ever had the chance to buy back that car I think I would, it would be a fun to have around 'just because'. Either that or an XLR. B)

Archived