CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has anyone ever taken their car to the Cadillac Doctor?

Kae86

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:welcomesmiley:

I just did a web search on the Cadillac Doctor, which is a name that Davis Auto Repair of 807 Market Street in Youngstown OH. I only see one rating, on RepairPal, and that has just one review, and the reviewer's car wasn't overheating - he just couldn't find anyone to work on his Northstar.

The only red flag that I see in their blurbs is a couple of mentions of oil in the water, which can't happen with a Northstar head gasket problem because the bores are floating and the oil passages are not near the bores, but is known, very rarely, to be caused by a leak in the oil cooler in the radiator. A Northstar that has compression leaking into the water jacket because of a pulled head bolt or two will be too bad for the car to run at all before the oil can get into the water. Also, they talk about using studs, not replacement head bolts, and they don't mention inserts, which are always part of the job, and they don't say whose studs they are using.

They advertise $2K for a Timesert job. They have one mention at the end of their blurb about oil leaks, so they may work on the case half gasket/oil manifold too, but that's a separate job from a head gasket repair.

Fixing a head gasket on a Northstar is actually two jobs. One of those is removing and replacing the engine, which is a big job in itself, and that probably isn't part of the $2K mentioned, so far as I can tell. Usually when a Northstar need a head gasket, it has something like 120,000 miles on it and probably could use the case half seal/oil manifold too. This makes the whole job sort of a mini-rebuild, with everything overhauled or replaced except the rod bearings, pistons, and rings.

I think $2K is a little high for a Timesert job priced as a machine shop job, with your engine delivered there and put back on the palette when done. If that includes R&R the engine, it's a good price. But I would want the whole engine gone over while it was out, not just the head bolts/studs and gaskets, because taking it back out to do another repair within a year or two is not thoughtful.

The web site blurb reads like something the web designer wrote from notes by the shop, and I think it's about two versions short of what I would approve before it went live. And, the e-mail address domain is not the same as the web URL, so they are leasing web space and using another webmail service, which means that they are a very small business.

In summary, I don't think that this outfit is a scam, but the web site is intended to get you to give them a call and work out a repair of your engine if you have a head gasket repair. Every car is its own entity, so what you discuss from there would be what you want done and they could do for you. If you think you could use a Timesert job, either as a car owner or as a mechanic or shop that would rather outsource Timsert jobs to a specialized shop that does a lot of them, these guys might be worth a call. But there isn't enough data on a web search to verify how good they are.

You did the right thing by asking for responses from people who have done business there. Let's see who speaks up.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Kae86, you sent me a PM about your 2000 Cadillac overheating and you were looking for help from me.

While I am flattered that you sought me out for direct help, I am only one member here. Its not that I did not want to help you, but when you work with ONE member you will not get as much input as when you post to this forum and ALL members with relevent experience attack your problem. That is why I asked you to post the details of your overheating problem here you will get quicker help as we as a group are stronger than one individual.

Please post details about your overheating problem, we may be able to save you thousands and give you info that will help you get it repaired. If nothing else you will get direct info on your specific problem here that you can bring to your mechanic.

Welcome aboard, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

:welcomesmiley:

The only red flag that I see in their blurbs is a couple of mentions of oil in the water, which can't happen with a Northstar head gasket problem because the bores are floating and the oil passages are not near the bores,

The coolant can get into the oil when the headgasket(s) are bad. The STS I purchased with bad headgaskets had just that - the oil looked like chocolate milk and coolant (just water) was pouring out the rear head and on the ground when I loaded it onto the tow dolly.

Floating cylinders? If you're referring to wet cylinder liners - that is the construction of the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 engines. The steel bores of the Northstar engine are cast in the block.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The coolant can get into the oil but I have not seen oil go into the coolant.That is what my 97 did. The oil looked like chocolate milk. had 4 pulled headbolts.

Here is my completely honest opinion. If I did not feel comfortable doing it myself (extremely rare) I would only take it to a dealer that specializes in cadillacs and the northstar engine.

I had my local GM dealer do my 97 after several visits and getting to know the actual technician that did the work. He knew exactly what to do when he pulled the engine and it got done right.

Only down side was the cost. It cost me just under 4k. But the car was worth every penny. People told me I was crazy but they dont appreciate vehicles like I do.

Best of luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

KHE - I was repeating what I recently saw a post by the guru on the other forum from just before he bowed out where he said that there is "no reasonable path" from oil to coolant in the Northstar, and to look to the radiator. Sorry, I should have looked here for later information from those like yourself. And, yes, I was referring to the fact that the cylinder liners on the Northstar are surrounded by coolant with no path from the cylinder to an oil passage.

In any case, we need to hear from someone who has had work done by Cadillac Doctor.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

KHE - I was repeating what I recently saw a post by the guru on the other forum from just before he bowed out where he said that there is "no reasonable path" from oil to coolant in the Northstar, and to look to the radiator. Sorry, I should have looked here for later information from those like yourself. And, yes, I was referring to the fact that the cylinder liners on the Northstar are surrounded by coolant with no path from the cylinder to an oil passage.

In any case, we need to hear from someone who has had work done by Cadillac Doctor.

Jim,

No problem - I just wanted to point out that the coolant can get into the oil.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was thinking of the other way around, oil in the coolant. By the time you have coolant in the oil, you are done. I would think that once you are in full tear-down territory by the time you get oil in the coolant of a Northstar unless it's the radiator.

I've been reading about cross-hatching in later model engines such as the Northstar, and it's essential to keep the rings lubricated and sealing. If the bore is worn smooth by coolant or gas in the cylinders, you need to hone them, and the honing pattern is quite critical. If that happens, you are best going with another block or using a mechanized automatic honing process that is known to work with your particular engine. If you have an engine that is in really bad shape, asking the Cadillac Doctor about this might be a good idea. If they don't have a clue, go with a rebuild or exchange engine elsewhere.

I think anyone who has an ad on EBAY for doing Northstar head gasket repair is pretty skilled and has a ton of Northstar jobs under his belt.

• 6 months later...

Hello every one. My Name is Dale Davis, AKA< Cadillac Doctor. A customer of mine was telling me he had read on this forum that some people were wondering if I was legit. Well, I do own a small business here in NE Ohio where all I do is repair the Cadillac Northstar engines. I have repaired over 3000 to date with out one return. I read on here where some one was saying that a bad head gasket could not allow water to get into the oil, this is false. Also, while talking about me someone was talking about the cost of my repair and what you get for the money. We do not make a lot of money on these repairs, we just do a lot of them. The company consist of myself and my two adult sons. We will remove your engine, remove the heads, we then drill and tap every head bolt hole and install studs and put it all back together again with all new gaskets. We also install a new water pump, Thermostat and spark plugs, We change the plugs just as a courtesy to the customers because some of these cars the plugs are hard to get to. We do warrant the repair for one year, unlimited miles.

The name Cadillac Doctor is not self imposed but this is what several of my customers called me and it just stuck. I know these engines inside and out. We also seal up the lower crank case as well as performing a complete rebuild, 100% if requested at $3500.00. I have a licensed business by the name of Davis Auto Repair. We are located at 807 Market st, Youngstown Ohio, 44502. My number is 330-507-9248 and my website is www.cadillacdoctor.com My email is info@cadillacdoctor.com I am not here to advertise because believe me, we get tons of business, I am simply showing that I am not a scammer as a couple was wondering about. I am just a man trying to make a honest living at very fair prices. I will be posting this else where on this site in other forums where people were wondering about me. If you ever have a question about a problem you may have, and think I may be able to help, please give me a call. Thanks Dale

Thanks for stepping in and answering a lot of questions. I'm sure others will have questions for you.

I have one myself: whose studs do you use?

How about a couple of photos of your storefront and your shop, and maybe a Northstar under repair? A small digital camera with a built-in flash is ideal for great photos to put on the WWW.

Hey Cadillac Jim and other members hope all is well. I have been working on these cars since 1992 and have repaired many hundreds of cars with timeserts and other inserts on the market with great success! I have been in business on my own since March 2010 and have done roughly 160ish head gasket repairs and half a dozen engine overhauls with no head gasket failures under my watch. Also, with the hundreds of cars I fixed under warranty at the dealer with no issues either. The main reason why I don't use STUDS is they are expensive and see no reason to use them being my repair works with references from 4-5 years back and I still contact these people for a reference. I and the customer like to save the money from NOT using studs and fix other issues the car might be having such as leaks, and suspension repair, etc. Finally, STUDS are not the end all fix for these engines, there are other options. https://plus.google.com/108424195462962345591/about?hl=en&rfmt=s

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

I sent my 2004 deville to dale davis a few months back for a full engine rebuild. $3,500 plus $1,200 for transport - the car came back with the exact problems I sent it with. I sent the car back to Dale - another $600 in transport fees. He sent the car back - same problem a second time. I am out $5,300 - with a car that cannot be driven - dale has been blaming me for everything you can imagine....driving too much, letting the engine overheat...it NEVER did, putting gunk into the system - NEVER did. This guy STOLE my money and is now playing games. I WARN EVERYONE THAT DALE DAVIS IS A CROOK. He will talk about his heart attacks and GOD but screw you out of your car and money. I am going to Youngstown fro NY to collect my money - I will not stop until I get my money back.

Jake 1970, sorry about your experience with DD The Cadillac so called Doctor. Where are you located?

Jake 1970, sorry about your experience with DD The Cadillac so called Doctor. Where are you located?

Long Island NY.....that was my family car - 2 kids and a wife - no more money to take care of the situation. It has caused problems between my wife an I - the money is approaching $8,000 with car rental and all other expenses - its terrible.

I sent my 2004 deville to dale davis a few months back for a full engine rebuild. $3,500 plus $1,200 for transport - the car came back with the exact problems I sent it with. I sent the car back to Dale - another $600 in transport fees. He sent the car back - same problem a second time. I am out $5,300 - with a car that cannot be driven - dale has been blaming me for everything you can imagine....driving too much, letting the engine overheat...it NEVER did, putting gunk into the system - NEVER did. This guy STOLE my money and is now playing games. I WARN EVERYONE THAT DALE DAVIS IS A CROOK. He will talk about his heart attacks and GOD but screw you out of your car and money. I am going to Youngstown fro NY to collect my money - I will not stop until I get my money back.

What was the reason the engine needed a full rebuild?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hello every one. My Name is Dale Davis, AKA< Cadillac Doctor. A customer of mine was telling me he had read on this forum that some people were wondering if I was legit. Well, I do own a small business here in NE Ohio where all I do is repair the Cadillac Northstar engines. I have repaired over 3000 to date with out one return. I read on here where some one was saying that a bad head gasket could not allow water to get into the oil, this is false. Also, while talking about me someone was talking about the cost of my repair and what you get for the money. We do not make a lot of money on these repairs, we just do a lot of them. The company consist of myself and my two adult sons. We will remove your engine, remove the heads, we then drill and tap every head bolt hole and install studs and put it all back together again with all new gaskets. We also install a new water pump, Thermostat and spark plugs, We change the plugs just as a courtesy to the customers because some of these cars the plugs are hard to get to. We do warrant the repair for one year, unlimited miles.

The name Cadillac Doctor is not self imposed but this is what several of my customers called me and it just stuck. I know these engines inside and out. We also seal up the lower crank case as well as performing a complete rebuild, 100% if requested at $3500.00. I have a licensed business by the name of Davis Auto Repair. We are located at 807 Market st, Youngstown Ohio, 44502. My number is 330-507-9248 and my website is www.cadillacdoctor.com My email is info@cadillacdoctor.com I am not here to advertise because believe me, we get tons of business, I am simply showing that I am not a scammer as a couple was wondering about. I am just a man trying to make a honest living at very fair prices. I will be posting this else where on this site in other forums where people were wondering about me. If you ever have a question about a problem you may have, and think I may be able to help, please give me a call. Thanks Dale

DALE DAVIS IS A CROOK!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY - HE WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND SCREW YOU. HE DID IT TO ME AND WILL DO IT TO YOU. THIEF.

DALE DAVIS IS A CROOK!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS GUY - HE WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND SCREW YOU. HE DID IT TO ME AND WILL DO IT TO YOU. THIEF. MY NAME IS CHRIS JACOBS....CALL ME BEFORE DOING BUSINESS WITH THIS CROOK - 631.320.6930

Hi Jake,

Can you answer KHE's question and help us focus on your Cadillac? That way perhaps we can help you get it back on the road.

You can continue to address your experience with that specific shop directly with them.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yeah... simply attacking someone without presenting a case is sorta out-of-place. What was the problem? What *is* the problem?

Please begin by stating the livability problem: overheating, hard starting, stalling, missing, etc. According to your profile block, your car is a 2004 Deville. The OBD codes can be run from the dashboard buttons on that model. Please run the OBD codes, write them down, and post them with your explanation of what you think is wrong with your car now.

I'm not a lawyer...and I dont know the business mentioned...but I will suggest that posting things like 'Bob's Plumbing Sucks' can get you sued....and not for just $500 or $5000. Maybe $50k or more. I would do a search for libel and slander laws before posting any more statements.

Now Dale Davis is telling me it's my fault because my engine had a cracked block prior to him rebuilding it.....yet, he rebuilt the engine anyway. Telling me he did the work he was paid to do and now I have a ruined engine - according to him it's my fault. Engine NEVER overheated - I don't drive fast - he is a total liar and crook.

What were the first symptoms your Cadillac was having?

What diagnosis was done to confirm the problem?

What repair was performed?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

And, what are the problems and symptoms now, and what are the OBD codes?

Jake1970, So, more or less the problem is the engine block is cracked and the motor won't retain water, leaves puddles? Do you know if this is the same engine in the car before you started this whole process? Working with us is only a benefit to yourself.

Archived