CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Timing Chain Replaced - Special Warranty

On January 15, I posted that I had a check engine light with P0008. I have 77k miles on my 2007 CTS, and have owned it for over 5 years. Based on posts here and my research, I expected the issue was to change the timing chain. I also found that there was a timing chain recall/Special Coverage Adjustment for Timing Chain Wear on 2007 CTS and others that extended the warranty to 10 years, 120k miles (I believe).

Just received a call from the Dealership and indeed they are replacing the timing chain, and yes it does fall under a special warranty exception. I didn't get much detail from them as I was driving on the highway, and too excited to find out that it was covered. I'll ask them more about it when I pick up the car tomorrow. Thank you for your feedback on my Jan. 15 post.

On January 15, I posted that I had a check engine light with P0008. I have 77k miles on my 2007 CTS, and have owned it for over 5 years. Based on posts here and my research, I expected the issue was to change the timing chain. I also found that there was a timing chain recall/Special Coverage Adjustment for Timing Chain Wear on 2007 CTS and others that extended the warranty to 10 years, 120k miles (I believe).

Just received a call from the Dealership and indeed they are replacing the timing chain, and yes it does fall under a special warranty exception. I didn't get much detail from them as I was driving on the highway, and too excited to find out that it was covered. I'll ask them more about it when I pick up the car tomorrow. Thank you for your feedback on my Jan. 15 post.

it's good to hear you're vehicle is being taken care of. Keep us posted on the post-pick up events and if anything else occurs. I hope all is well! Thank you for the update.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

Edited by Cadillac Customer Service

Kevin, the check engine light came on and the code was P0008. Please see my post on Jan. 15, some here posted on the code, which was related to the timing chain. Hopefully, picking up my car today and will get more informaiton/clarification. Thanks.

Picked up my car: the timing chain was replaced under the special "timing chain only" extended warranty. I had 77k miles, have owned the car for 5.5 years. Thanks to everyone who posted to my inquiry. This is a great forum.

• 2 years later...

I know this topic is pretty old but thank you because it saved me from a costly repair. I was getting a P0017 and P0021, both camshaft and crankshaft position errors. The check engine light was coming on intermittently and when it finally decided to stay on I took it to my mechanic. He heard the rattling on startup and said it was the timing chain, about a $3k repair, he suggested a new motor if I was willing to spend that much on the repair... I went straight to the internet and found this post. I told him about it and he said to take it to the dealer. I did and told them about the special recall (they hadn't heard of it) and diagnosed it and said it they would have it covered. I was so relieved... I have 116,400 miles on it....just under the 120k mile extended warranty...

Downside is it would take 1-2 weeks to get it fixed...I got a call this morning, 3 days in to week 2, and was asked if I wanted the guides replaced, they were worn....they aren't covered under the extended warranty. This seems weird to me, that they wouldn't be covered but I told them to go ahead and change them, cost: $317.

I'm trying not to be cheap here...I'm very grateful that the replacement is being covered, but I wanted to see if anyone else did not have the guides covered in the replacement? I don't want to have to pay for something if I don't have to...

Thank you also for the OLM reprogramming...I've asked them about that as well...

I've heard the rattle, off and on, for a while...but I'm diligent in changing and checking the oil...always changed it at 40% and always checked the oil levels every 1k miles and it was usually low...I would hear the rattle at around 40%, that's why i would change it so often. Once I did the rattle went away.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to squeze some extra profit out of the job. A warranty timing chain replacement is a warranty timing chain replacement. Tensioners, guides and all... they should also be changing the oil as part of the job..

There is actually a timing chain replacement kit that is used for the bulletin with all the parts needed.

Some info here...there is mention of what years are covered. Our 2009 Traverse was covered no problem (in 2014).

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=10632.0

A couple of days is all they should need for the job. Ours was done in 2 days. Same engine.

The OLM reprogramming is a different bulletin.

Thank you Logan. I'm very grateful for your response and the link. I'll post again with the outcome after I call the dealer.

I do have a PDF about the chains....but it is too big to post here.

It does mention that in some cases....the guides may be ok and do not need to be replaced. The PDF does have pictures of good vs worn guides.

It does not suggest going to the customer and charging for new guides.

Edit....I did add a snip from the timing chain PDF....

Top picture....guide OK....Bottom picture....guide worn and should be replaced.

post-2-0-56855300-1447865889_thumb.jpg

Logan unrelated to this thread but I pulled a guide today and was surprised to see grooves in it, what do you think of this NS guide? I was surprised to see such wide tracks.

20151121_174012_zpssijgikzv.jpg

Here is the same bank, looking at the timing chain left side, the tensioner guide

20151119_180242_zpsa8b9ygge.jpg

And

20151119_162123_zpsftcwkt7x.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the recall info, it was very helpful! My check engine light came on and threw a P0008 code, which is the timing chain. I found this thread then contacted Covert Cadillac to see if the repair would be covered. I took my car in and a few days later; I got my car back with new timing chains (2) and tensioners. They also resealed the engine front cover, torqued all bolts to spec, replaced all necessary gaskets, and drained and filled the coolant and engine oil; all under warranty! I walked out of the dealership paying absolutely nothing!

• 5 months later...

Does anybody have any info or documentation on what is actually covered under this warranty.  I was very excited that the issue was covered by a special warranty until I brought my car in yesterday.  They called me to explain that while the timing chain would be covered, actuators and any other necessary parts would not be, and of course they cant tell me anything else will need to be replaced until they take it all apart.  I was told the actuators, guides and other parts could be as much as $1,500 out of pocket.  This is a gamble that I cannot afford to take, but I am surprised that no other parts are covered.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is this a 3.6 V6?

What year and model?  

Is this the base warranty or are you in the extended warranty?

My friend had the timing chain replaced on the primary warranty 19k on a cts 3.6.  She paid nothing,  and was paid fir a rental. 

I would call GMs regional manager and ask questions.   My feeling is that if the timing chain damaged anything else it should be covered because the timing chain was the cause.  Anything related to the timing change recall should be covered.  The problem I have with that thought however is that they might turn the other way and not replace borderline items.  

I would get a definitive statement from the regional manager.

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

• 9 months later...

This post very likely saved me $2,100 for the replacement of a timing chain. I took my 2007 CTS into the shop this morning to check out the engine light that had been on for a few weeks. When the shop called me back and told me I needed a timing chain I took to the internet and came across this site. I called GM and within 15 minutes have an appointment at the local Cadillac dealer next Monday morning for them to again diagnose and replace the timing belt under the special warranty. I am within 5 months of the time frame of the 10 year, 120,000 miles since the car was put into service.

A big shout out to Logan for posting the link to the Bulletin 11340A which gave me the phone number to Cadillac. Small world, I too am in Franklin TN!

That is so cool. :wipetears

I'm sure @Logan will appreciate the shout.

Edited by OldCadTech

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

• 1 year later...

My wife's '09 DTS has 119000 miles on it. 2 days ago the vehicle started running very badly without any warning. She got to a parking area and turned it off. I came there and the car wouldn't start again. Towed to our GM dealer and they told me they would need 10 hrs. labor @ 115.00 per hour just to tell us whether it could be repaired or have to replace the motor. Like who lets a dealer replace a North Star motor in a '09 DTS? Anyway this timing chain extended warranty or "special" warranty if you will has peaked my interest. The dealer didn't mention anything about a warranty on the timing chain only that they thought it had "skipped" timing. It would be great to get a break like that right on the time/mileage limitation. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Edited by Indian man

2 hours ago, Indian man said:

My wife's '09 DTS has 119000 miles on it. 2 days ago the vehicle started running very badly without any warning. She got to a parking area and turned it off. I came there and the car wouldn't start again. Towed to our GM dealer and they told me they would need 10 hrs. labor @ 115.00 per hour just to tell us whether it could be repaired or have to replace the motor. Like who lets a dealer replace a North Star motor in a '09 DTS? Anyway this timing chain extended warranty or "special" warranty if you will has peaked my interest. The dealer didn't mention anything about a warranty on the timing chain only that they thought it had "skipped" timing. It would be great to get a break like that right on the time/mileage limitation. Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

I believe that the special policy covered the 3.6L engine, not the Northstar.   It is rare for the timing chain to go bad on the Northstar, not unheard of but rare.  No noise prior to it going bad? 

Can you get to the car and pull the DTC codes?   The codes would give us an indication of what is going on.

• 7 months later...

morning ,i have my 2008 sts 3.6 at the local gm dealer,after purchasing the car from the original owner ,i noticed the car would not start, found timing chain codes,the dealer said they would replace the timing componets and also the cyl head ,then they called and said gm would not ok because of metal in the engine. they wanted to charge me 11 hours to tear the engine down to inspect ,i told them not to do this repair,they stated lack of maintaince was the issue the vehicle has 79,307 on it and it has 3 months before the SPECIAL WARRANTY IS GONE

any help out there  thank you

Don't know how or what is going on with the oil. 

This is the latest version of the bulletin I see when doing a quick search on Google....11340C.

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/112470/3020368

Mmmm.....I would check that out closer before getting into a 2017 engine. 

You may be able to figure something out on what would work here.. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_High_Feature_engine

Lots of variants of that engine.

• 1 year later...
On 3/24/2019 at 4:05 AM, keith miles said:

morning ,i have my 2008 sts 3.6 at the local gm dealer,after purchasing the car from the original owner ,i noticed the car would not start, found timing chain codes,the dealer said they would replace the timing componets and also the cyl head ,then they called and said gm would not ok because of metal in the engine. they wanted to charge me 11 hours to tear the engine down to inspect ,i told them not to do this repair,they stated lack of maintaince was the issue the vehicle has 79,307 on it and it has 3 months before the SPECIAL WARRANTY IS GONE

On 3/24/2019 at 4:05 AM, keith miles said:

morning ,i have my 2008 sts 3.6 at the local gm dealer,after purchasing the car from the original owner ,i noticed the car would not start, found timing chain codes,the dealer said they would replace the timing componets and also the cyl head ,then they called and said gm would not ok because of metal in the engine. they wanted to charge me 11 hours to tear the engine down to inspect ,i told them not to do this repair,they stated lack of maintainece was the issue the vehicle has 79,307 on it and it has 3 months before the SPECIAL WARRANTY IS GONE