CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I have a starting issue with my STS. At times (when it wants to rather) has starting fits that can last, at maximum to date, 9 minutes. I got the car where the previous owner took a couple of resistors and tied them in line with the wires for the anti theft system or chip in the key. I found a lick cylinder at the wrecking yard with its respective key in it. I installed it in my car, hooked up the wires for the anti theft system and hoped it would start, but to my dimay, it did not. I am worried that if I get one off of ebay that I will have this same problem. Do I have to take the cables off the battery to make the computer recognize the new key? Some one please help me out here.

thank you

No...you have to match the key to the system. There are 14 or 15 different GM key resister values.

New key cylinders can be had for about $25 at PepBoys/ parts stores. You can then run by a GM dealer and have a matching key made with the correct, original key resister value for maybe $10.

this is true. you cannot install just any cylinder unless the security has been bypassed before the ignition

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 4 weeks later...

You can also have the replacement lock cylinder re-keyed so your existing keys will work at a locksmith for $10.00.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived