CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

sharing my experience. weird

rockfangd

Hi all. this is a weird one so I thought I would share. On my 96 Deville. 199000 miles.

A few years ago my transmission fluid was over for no appearant reason. looked completely normal but over. So I pulled out fluid back to normal level. probably around 1.5 quarts. all was good.

now about a month ago I started having tcc issues. The service trans light would come on only if I was cruising and accelerated. basically TCC was not unlocking fast enough therefore throwing the light. P0741.

I have been tapping the brake before I accelerate and the problem doesnt occur so the light has been out.

Well tonight I decided to check my trans fluid just for the heck of it, and again the fluid was over. When it was cold the fluid was up to the hot max line. I pulled about 1.5 quarts again and back to normal level. Well I drove it home tonight and all seems back to normal. I tried many times to get the tcc problem to occur but all the way home it just worked perfect, as soon as I hit the accelerator it sped right up with no problem. Light never came on once.

I understand that coolant can leak into the trans by the cooler in the radiator but honestly I have checked the fluid and both times it was over the fluid looked perfectly normal. as does the coolant. I change the coolant every 2 years.

If there was fluid contamination wouldnt I have noticed by now? Should be obvious somewhere.

If there is coolant in the trans would the trans fluid be on top of the coolant? and that is why when I pull fluid it looks normal.

Now keep in mind I drive this car every day and I do not baby it. I drive highway and city with no problems other than the recent TCC problem. shifting is perfect. not harsh at all. If it did have coolant in it how would it have lasted this long?

this is a weird one so I thought I would share. maybe I wont be the only one scratching my head

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Three quarts is a lot of fluid. You most certainly do have a problem. The most innocent one would be incorrect filling and checking procedures involving a level car, hot vs. cold transmission and fluid, etc. but with you that seems quite unlikely. There are lots of fluids in the car but the only one that is in contact with the transmission fluid physically is the coolant through the cooler tank in the radiator.

The 4T80E has a dry sump system, with two scavenger pumps keeping the bottom oil pan pumped out and the fluid in a reservoir. It's remotely possible that this is keeping the coolant pretty much out of the transmission oil passages, so far.

First, I would put the transmission fluid that I pulled out in a clear glass container and smell it, then let it sit for awhile. Then, I would extract some coolant and do the same. That should tell the tale pretty quickly without driving the car again, although the best time to pull both fluids is right after driving the car.

The next thing I would do is give the cooling system a pressure test. If it leaks, look for another increase in transmission fluid level.

Then, the acid test: drain the transmission oil pan. Don't forget to have a clean, clear quart Mason jar handy to put some of it in for examination, letting it settle, smelling it, etc. If you have three quarts of coolant in the transmission, it can't all hide when you do that.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

how are you getting fluid out of trans? the fill port does not allow you to really use a suction line. removing 3 quarts of excess fluid is not good. i am surprised your coolant level has also not dropped by 3 quarts. and next time, can you use a thread title that actually describes the issue?

sire. I tabbed the key words to relate though. I have used a suction line as there is a fill cab on top of the trans. If there is coolant in there I dont know how it even lasted this long. I have had an external coolant leak for some time now so it is hard to monitor coolant loss as I have to top it off once in awhile

GM FAN FOREVER

Diagnose this problem quickly coolant in the tranny is very damaging to the clutches, so much so that I really doubt the increase is due to coolant as you would not have gotten so much time out of your tranny if you did have coolant in it.

See this

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91800/coolant-in-gm-transmission-oil

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ok I know this may not help but the fluid that I took out yesterday I kept in a clear container when I took it out. today when I checked it it looked like perfectly good transmission fluid. And I have no idea how the coolant would not have messed up the transmission fluid. It is not frosty, discolored, lighter in viscosity. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. weird. maybe someone is messing with me.

I have at least 12000 miles on it since the last time I removed some fluid. And to top it all off today I went 46 miles and again could not get the TCC problem to occur. and I know exactly how to make the problem occur. but it would not. no light no problem. :wacko: . I dont know if I should be happy, worried, in the nut house, I dont know maybe all apply.

Also thanks for posting the useful link. I read it and have no symptoms shown. I would think the dipstick would be rusty by now. but I guess I may have to get the tester to be sure

GM FAN FOREVER

In the link that BodybyFisher provided, the artcle recommended a test kit for transmission fluid that will detect even traces of coolant in the transmission fluid. Their web site is (link in article is old and goes to place-holder page) http://www.gly-tek.com/.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Does anyone else drive this car on a regular basis or do you let people add fluids, quick lube? I have seen and heard of strange things that workers in quick lubes have done to customer cars accidently and on purpose. A auto repair shop I service does all the repair for a local quick lube and some of the things he told me about would make you laugh if they were not so damaging to customers cars. For instance, engine oil in the trans, trans oil in the engine, no oil in engine, overfilling the engine or transmission, adding fluid when its not needed, never changing filters although charging customers for them, draining the front axle and or transfer case on a SUV by mistake and forgetting to fill it up, using wrong coolant, using wrong oil or air filter. The best was this GMC Acadia they had in one day, front axle was run empty for about 50 miles and everything siezed up. They found the drain plug was removed and missing. Come to find out the day this SUV was in it (prior day) was the 2nd vehicle a new guy (17 yo) was allowed to do on his own and no one checked on him.

:fighting0025:

Does anyone else drive this car on a regular basis or do you let people add fluids, quick lube? I have seen and heard of strange things that workers in quick lubes have done to customer cars accidently and on purpose. A auto repair shop I service does all the repair for a local quick lube and some of the things he told me about would make you laugh if they were not so damaging to customers cars. For instance, engine oil in the trans, trans oil in the engine, no oil in engine, overfilling the engine or transmission, adding fluid when its not needed, never changing filters although charging customers for them, draining the front axle and or transfer case on a SUV by mistake and forgetting to fill it up, using wrong coolant, using wrong oil or air filter. The best was this GMC Acadia they had in one day, front axle was run empty for about 50 miles and everything siezed up. They found the drain plug was removed and missing. Come to find out the day this SUV was in it (prior day) was the 2nd vehicle a new guy (17 yo) was allowed to do on his own and no one checked on him.

Thank you very much for the post. Now to answer the question. nobody but nobody touches my vehicles. especially not my Deville. Only thing I have ever had to get done was the alignment and that clearly wasnt even done right. and reasons like what you speak of is why I no longer work for shops. I am a full time diesel mechanic for a bus company. nothing but honesty and proper repair..

to note on the fluid thing. I have gone over 600 miles since removing the excess fluid and have had no problems at all. Weird.

GM FAN FOREVER

• 2 weeks later...

Update 1/9/13.

Very good news.

Tonight I pulled the transmission pan and replaced the screens, drained the side pan, and did overall inspection.

I was extremely pleased as the fluid was perfect, I found nothing at all out of ordinary from both sections of the transmission.

There was no debris on the screens and very minimal normal shavings on the pan magnet.

The job could not have gone better. I bought 8 quarts but only put in 6.5. The fluid was up to the proper level but I always recheck at least 2 times afterward.

On drive home I had no problems at all. I drove it hard and normal like I always do and verifies tcc works properly. It worked every time.

I even took the opportunity to replace all of my exhaust hangers while I was under it and now It is good as new. Before it would rattle on the cross brace on acceleration.

I love this car. It amazes me with 200000 miles that cost has been bare minimal and the car rides and runs wonderful. I have had no major engine or transmission problems. It leaks a little oil and a couple drops of coolant but that is it. I can never complain on this car at all.

I am still stumped on the elevated fluid level though.

Have a good night

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived