CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tape to CD/Tape - Bad Idea

I found out the hard way that you can’t just swap out a cassette player with a CD/cassette player. Even if it’s from the same year. Apparently the CD/Cassette and Bose systems have a different way of controlling the head unit. They hook into a RIM or something of sorts that actually does all the controlling for the RDS and other things.

I had purchased a CD Changer and a CD/Cassette player to put in my 99 Deville because I had the cassette only scenario. I was told a number of years back that you had to have an aux button in order to get the CD changer to work. So I bought the CD/Cassette, had it reprogrammed to my VIN (stearlership charged $85) and then I got it back to test it. No sound. Everything else worked, but just no sound. Did some research, found out that it’s not possible to swap those types of radios and that I would have to rewire the whole car’s speaker system in order for it to work. You think the dealer would have known this.

Frustrated, I put the cassette player back in, hooked up the CD changer and it worked. I could have saved the $85 and the cost of the CD/Cassette.

Lesson learned I guess.

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

boy does this sound familiar. wish you posted it here first. I did the same on my 96 Deville. Dealer charger me 40 dollars to tell me it wont work.

And bose wont work either because the sound is powered by the external amps.

But listen. your Deville should be prewired foir the 12 disc changer in the trunk. And you use the source buttons on the radio.

Look in your trunk at the right side near the antenna. you pull up the carpet and you will see the mounting holes and bracket. then in the support for the antenna the plug should be there. It is a 7 pin plug but only uses about 4 wires.

It is cake. buy a 12 disc chamger. bolt it in and hook up the wire and voila 12 disc changer.

now my 96 was not prewired and I Wired it up myself for the factory setup. Works like a charm. I had to change my headunit to a 97 with the source buttons. Without bose.

But your 99 has the theftloc but you shouldnt even need to change the headunit at all.

I have done a whole writeup on this because it has beem addressed many times. I hope this helps

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

That was definitely my fault. I should have done a little research first. Oh well.

I did have a CD changer to put in and it works great! I can definitely tell a sound difference from my last 99 Deville which had the CD/Tape (non-Bose). There must be an amp with that one as well.

-Dusty-

You think the dealer would have known this.

Frustrated, I put the cassette player back in, hooked up the CD changer and it worked. I could have saved the $85 and the cost of the CD/Cassette.

Lesson learned I guess.

The dealer probably did know that it wouldn't work and took your money anyway. I would be jhaving a conversation with that dealer if I were you. $85 is robbery even if it did work. That is very close to an hour's worth of labor charge and I will bet it took them less than 10 minutes to fleece you of $85. The charge should have been less than $15.00.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

That part irritated me too. Like you said, it was too much if it worked anyway. Every other dealer that I've read online is about $40. I don't like confrontation and I'm very shy in person so I'll probably end up just whining about it and never doing anything. <_<

-Dusty-

That part irritated me too. Like you said, it was too much if it worked anyway. Every other dealer that I've read online is about $40. I don't like confrontation and I'm very shy in person so I'll probably end up just whining about it and never doing anything. <_<

Do you have an iPad? You can buy a cassette-adapter for a few bucks which will let you connect your iPad. I did not even think to replace original cassette player. Kind of cool ancient stuff! :) I usually listen to preset radio stations when driving locally and hook up my iPad for long out of state drives. Works pretty good.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

That part irritated me too. Like you said, it was too much if it worked anyway. Every other dealer that I've read online is about $40. I don't like confrontation and I'm very shy in person so I'll probably end up just whining about it and never doing anything.

Do you have an iPad? You can buy a cassette-adapter for a few bucks which will let you connect your iPad. I did not even think to replace original cassette player. Kind of cool ancient stuff! I usually listen to preset radio stations when driving locally and hook up my iPad for long out of state drives. Works pretty good.

I have a Microsoft Surface, but not an iPad ;)

That’s exactly what I was going to use it for to. I listen to my favorite station within 70 miles of our town here, but then when I head out a little further I would like to listen to either CD or something else. The CD changer should work fine for me though. Twelve CDs is about 240 songs. That’s plenty for me :)

I did find this though:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?tp=121

-Dusty-

Do you have an iPad? You can buy a cassette-adapter for a few bucks which will let you connect your iPad. I did not even think to replace original cassette player. Kind of cool ancient stuff! :) I usually listen to preset radio stations when driving locally and hook up my iPad for long out of state drives. Works pretty good.

That's what I did in my 1995 STS with a tape player. I bought a $5 tape adaptor off Ebay or Amazon, and I hooked it up to my ipod mp3 player.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

A lot of car radios will not work with the cassette adapters. There was a service bulletin on my Fleetwood that stated the adapters were not compatable.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A lot of car radios will not work with the cassette adapters. There was a service bulletin on my Fleetwood that stated the adapters were not compatable.

Interesting. Have you tried?

That part irritated me too. Like you said, it was too much if it worked anyway. Every other dealer that I've read online is about $40. I don't like confrontation and I'm very shy in person so I'll probably end up just whining about it and never doing anything. clip_image001.png

Do you have an iPad? You can buy a cassette-adapter for a few bucks which will let you connect your iPad. I did not even think to replace original cassette player. Kind of cool ancient stuff! clip_image002.pngI usually listen to preset radio stations when driving locally and hook up my iPad for long out of state drives. Works pretty good.

I have a Microsoft Surface, but not an iPad ;)

That’s exactly what I was going to use it for to. I listen to my favorite station within 70 miles of our town here, but then when I head out a little further I would like to listen to either CD or something else. The CD changer should work fine for me though. Twelve CDs is about 240 songs. That’s plenty for me :)

I did find this though:

http://www.crutchfie...D02.html?tp=121

For those $50 you can buy an iPod and record all of your 240 songs and a lot more without any work on the car.

Interesting. Have you tried?

When the car was about 6 months old, I attempted to use a tape head cleaner and it just kept ejecting it - it would not run the cleaning tape through the unit. I wound up buying some long "Q-tips" made for cleaning tape heads and cleaned it that way.

I never tried the CD adapter since the wire came out in the wrong position and I was afraid it would get stuck in the tape deck. It was about that time I discovered the TSB on the CD-Tape adapters.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If u have NON Bose to begin with, u can only swap in other non Bose stuff. If u start with a Bose hu, u can put in other Bose stuff. I have Bose hu with no in dash cd. Just cassette. I can swap in an in dash Bose cd hu and still use the trunk changer. I tried to decipher ur first post and I think I read that u were going from non Bose to Bose? In 99 or so u could get non Bose in dash cd units and Bose in dash cd units. I think the base devilles had some of these non Bose hu's?

u need the vin number of the donor cars hu to allow the tech to reprogram the hu using a tech 2 type tool. i was going to use a 99 bose hu in my 96 bose car and the tech must program the unit using the 99 vin. simple. tell tech you have hu from another car. give him vin #. make sure he understands what you are trying to do.

I was going from non-Bose cassette to non-Bose CD/cassette, which is not possible because the CD/cassette (non-Bose) in these cars has a RIM that does the audio processing and the cassette has a built in amp and the radio is hooked directly to the speakers. See this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/211854-installed-oem-hu-now-no-sound.html

I had no problem getting it unlocked (except for being overcharged), I just had no sound due to there not being the RIM module in my car. The dealer didn't require the VIN either. I asked them if they needed it and they said no. They were able to unlock it without.

-Dusty-

Archived