CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hot Rear Brakes/Wheels? New Rotors and Pads. Help!

Quenton6

I recently redid all my brakes. I replaced all 4 rotors, all the pads. It wasn't too difficult and I want to say that I did everything correctly.

But! I took the care for a test drive and everytime I let off the accelerator the car would decelerate significantly. I did a few hard stops. Might have helped a little, not sure. I put the parking brake on and off a few times. I think that made it a bit better as the car would coast a ways without slowing down as much.

I drove it around a bit longer and then parked it at home, and my neighbor in the driveway getting her mail could smell/ feel the heat coming from my car as i drove in. So I got out and sure enough both back wheels were super hot. The fronts were practically ice cold.

Please help! What could be my problem? Calipers? Parking Brake? I would like to have some experienced input before I proceed.

Thanks

It certainly sounds like your parking brake is mal adjusted. You need to get the rear wheels up and turn the tires and see if its dragging any dragging at all, you need to loosen the parking brake adjuster to free them up, or find out why the parking brake is not releasing.

I trust the parking brake pedal is coming up?

Did you clean and properly lube the caliper sliders?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That makes sense. Actually after closer inspection. My parking brake is not clicking anymore when i push it down. It just kind of slides down and you can pull it right back up.

Do you think that something slapped or broke? As soon as I get a second to jack the car back up I'll have a look under there. Oh and yes, I cleaned and lubes the hardware, didn't buy new. Cleaned the gunk and stuff off all the hardware and there was no rust on the sliders.

On a side note, on the rear caliper pistons I heard that they should be lined up to match some mark on the brake pads? I didn't notice anything?

Thanks for your help

U need to retract rear piston into caliper to fit new pads over rotor. U obviously figured out the piston screws in. The rotor must turn freely with very little drag. It's hard to do it wrong. Does wheel turn ok when car is jacked up?

there is 2 grooves in the piston in each rear caliper. there is 1 pin on the back side of the inner pads and you must line up the pin on the pad with 1 of the grooves in the caliper piston. If it is not lined up usually you cannot get caliper back on.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Well, I figured it out. The parking brake definitely was holding. When I took it for the first test drive and it was decelerating, that was the brake holding. So the wheel heated up at this point. Then when I started playing with the pedal for the parking brake it snapped or broke or something. But when I got it home I thought it was still holding because it was still hot. But turns out it was just the residual heat, they hold that heat for quite some time.

So I took it for another spin and all 4 wheel are ice cold. So It kind of worked it self out.

Thanks for all the replies and help.

does the parking brake work? I wonder if the piston wasnt lined up and snapped into place.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived