CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Great experience with a scratch remover

Like a dummy I had used a coin car wash brush on my newly painted (April) Caddy's hood to get some sticky crabtree junk off and put a ton of fine scratches in the paint. I used Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0 fine scratch remover on the whole hood before I waxed the car yesterday, and it worked great! Highly recommend. Here is a before and after pic, left side is treated, right side not yet:

IMG_2343.jpg

This was all my fault. Never use those brushes at the coin car wash! I don't mind using the auto car wash...as long as it's soft cloth, and I tell the kids not to pre-brush it at the start. But I only use auto washes in the winter as they cost more. Unfortunately in my climate, it's very difficult if not impossible during a typical winter to wash the car in the driveway or at a coin car wash, as the water would freeze before you could dry the car (if it's not already frozen inside the hose), not to mention frozen doors and locks. I only hope this winter is like last year, but I doubt it...we don't get that lucky two times in a row.

Automatic car washes = paint damage. I never use them.

KHE, how do you keep your Caddy clean during the winter? I noticed you also live in Michigan, and probably get more snow due to the lake. Tell me your secret! :)

This was all my fault. Never use those brushes at the coin car wash! I don't mind using the auto car wash...as long as it's soft cloth, and I tell the kids not to pre-brush it at the start. But I only use auto washes in the winter as they cost more. Unfortunately in my climate, it's very difficult if not impossible during a typical winter to wash the car in the driveway or at a coin car wash, as the water would freeze before you could dry the car (if it's not already frozen inside the hose), not to mention frozen doors and locks. I only hope this winter is like last year, but I doubt it...we don't get that lucky two times in a row.

You may want to get some GRAPHITE in a SPRAY CAN.

It will have a little tube, like on a can of WD-40.

Stick the little tube in each lock cylinder and give it a short spray.

It wil help keep the locks in the doors and trunk working in bad weather.

Posted Image

KHE, how do you keep your Caddy clean during the winter? I noticed you also live in Michigan, and probably get more snow due to the lake. Tell me your secret! :)

My garage is heated, insulated and drywalled. I have hot and cold spigots in the garage so I can use hot water to flush out all the crud. At least once per week, I wash both cars - I move the car to the center of the garage, flip the switch and in about 10 minutes, it is 65 degrees in the garage. The floor drain is connected to a dry-well below the frost line so it drains continuously.

After both cars are clean, I hose the garage floor to the drain and use a large squeege to remove the water from the floor. After the cars have been washed, I turn off the heat and the floor usually dries within a couple of hours.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My garage is heated, insulated and drywalled. I have hot and cold spigots in the garage so I can use hot water to flush out all the crud. At least once per week, I wash both cars - I move the car to the center of the garage, flip the switch and in about 10 minutes, it is 65 degrees in the garage. The floor drain is connected to a dry-well below the frost line so it drains continuously.

After both cars are clean, I hose the garage floor to the drain and use a large squeege to remove the water from the floor. After the cars have been washed, I turn off the heat and the floor usually dries within a couple of hours.

Wow that is so cool. My husband will be so jealous when I show him this...lol. So wish we had plumbing in our garage. It's drywalled and heated, but no plumbing or drains....

Wow that is so cool. My husband will be so jealous when I show him this...lol. So wish we had plumbing in our garage. It's drywalled and heated, but no plumbing or drains....

The plumbing is easy enough to add but you don't have a floor drain in your garage? Where does any water go that drains off the cars?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The plumbing is easy enough to add but you don't have a floor drain in your garage? Where does any water go that drains off the cars?

We only use the garage for storage, band practice (a real garage band lol) and for our Camaro which never gets driven in the rain or in the winter. So it's usually dry in there. However, my Caddy just had a rare night in the garage due to the massive winds and rain overnight (and still as I write this) due to Hurricane Sandy.

I own a black 2006 Cadillac CTS with no real damage but plenty of light scratches and a paint chip I'd like to repair. I tried to fix them with a cheap clear coat paint pen but that only left light scratches over the light scratches. I'd really like to keep up the neat appearance of my car so could anybody recommend a product or service for removing scratches that actually works?

I own a black 2006 Cadillac CTS with no real damage but plenty of light scratches and a paint chip I'd like to repair. I tried to fix them with a cheap clear coat paint pen but that only left light scratches over the light scratches. I'd really like to keep up the neat appearance of my car so could anybody recommend a product or service for removing scratches that actually works?

I recommend the same product my first post was about - Meguiar's Scratch X 2.0. Give it a try....it's very inexpensive!

• 3 months later...

WOW, what a great garage - just think, hot and cold running water, a drain... I could live out there! Love it!!

Hi REDROCKET, it's nice to see another Michigander on here! :) KHE is so hooked up, even I have garage envy and I'm not even a dude. Hey hubby and I keep our boat out on Lake St Clair....we want to retire on that lake someday. Oh yeah, about my Caddy, she's running perfect....and with her new tires she's GREAT in the snow! Just hate the salt. :(

Hi 93, my wife and I are also summer folk (if it weren't for Michigan summers I wouldn't stay...). What an awesome garage KHE has, I would like to see the rest of the property. If you are out for the Woodward Dream Cruise look us up, we like to find a place at the Red Coat Tavern on the east side of Woodward, just north of 13 Mile. I kind of blend in with the crowd but the REDROCKET stands out (crystal red V Coup with polished rims), can't miss us! Springs right around the corner... See ya, Dave.

Hi Dave...Haven't gone to the WDC in a few years, but if we do we'll be in our '10 Camaro "bumblebee", and we'll look for ya! Would love to see your Caddy! As for boating we hang out at Mac & Ray's in Anchor Bay mostly, sometimes Gull Island, sometimes Bouvieau Bay. Look for a restored '77 Scarab, white with yellow/purple effects and some checkerboard, and pretty darn fast. Only one like it on the lake! :) Now if summer would just get here.....

Hi Dave...Haven't gone to the WDC in a few years, but if we do we'll be in our '10 Camaro "bumblebee", and we'll look for ya! Would love to see your Caddy! As for boating we hang out at Mac & Ray's in Anchor Bay mostly, sometimes Gull Island, sometimes Bouvieau Bay. Look for a restored '77 Scarab, white with yellow/purple effects and some checkerboard, and pretty darn fast. Only one like it on the lake! :) Now if summer would just get here.....

Re. the WDC, we go on Fri. and Sat., Sunday gets too crazy. Come on up, easy in, easy out at the Red Coat. Can't wait to get back out on the water, I know where all those places are, can you post a pic of your boat (sorry CaddyHeads, I know this is a car forum!) so I can spot you easier? Last but not least, how did you get a pic in your profile, when I try to add one the file is always too large. Thanx for any advice, Dave.

Re. the WDC, we go on Fri. and Sat., Sunday gets too crazy. Come on up, easy in, easy out at the Red Coat. Can't wait to get back out on the water, I know where all those places are, can you post a pic of your boat (sorry CaddyHeads, I know this is a car forum!) so I can spot you easier? Last but not least, how did you get a pic in your profile, when I try to add one the file is always too large. Thanx for any advice, Dave.

Yes we are off-topic, so last post here! I think I just ended up taking a screenshot (I have a Mac, not sure how to do that in Windows) which made the file size small enough. Just took a screenshot of my Photobucket pic.

Here's a link to a pic of our boat...hard to look at when it's 15˚ outside!!! Hope to see you this summer!

http://i1261.photobu...945b40b2218.jpg

Really good looking water rod, like your graphics. I will continue to try to put a photo tag up, I just have to figure out the small file thing. I did manage to get some shots of RedRocket (with help from Texas Jim) at the Gran Prix and when She was fitted with wider shoes in past posts if you are interested, just hit my post history. Stay in touch 93, would like to meet you when weather warms, Dave.

Archived