CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cool Framed Seville Print

linda80100

Hubby just picked up this print and one of an Eldorado (same model year) at a garage sale down the street today. Thought it was kinda cool, so I'm sharing it. It's my Caddy exactly, not an STS but a base. I think it's probably a '92 though. It's about 3' x 4' in size. Wonder if they are worth anything....hubby only paid $20 for both. :rolleyes:

IMG_2237.jpg

I would like to see the Eldorado.

Anyone know how to get a 3' X 4' photo scanned?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yes I was going to get this pic posted today...camera died so had to charge overnight! This Eldo has the same 4.9 as my Seville, not a Northstar. That's why I'm guessing it's a '92-'93. As far as scanning, does your home printer have that capability? The new WIFI printers make scanning photo's so much easier....

IMG_2238.jpg

Yes I was going to get this pic posted today...camera died so had to charge overnight! This Eldo has the same 4.9 as my Seville, not a Northstar. That's why I'm guessing it's a '92-'93. As far as scanning, does your home printer have that capability? The new WIFI printers make scanning photo's so much easier....

IMG_2238.jpg

Just Googled David Kimble, whose signature you see on the Eldo picture, and found out a lot about him on this website. We are thinking of putting the Eldo pic up for sale, but keeping the Seville. Seems it might make us some money! :)

http://www.automotiveillustrations.com/illustrators/automotive-illustrator-kimble.html

Very cool photos, good find!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Most home scanners and all-in-one scanners take originals up to 8.5" X 11" or 8.5" X14" Your originals of 36" X 48" are far too large. Some graphics houses can scan stuff that large but I don't have any idea what the cost would be. In any case you couldn't legally distribute the digitized image if it was copyrighted. Simple un-enhanced camera photos like your posts is the best we can do unless the copyright is open or expired. But a scanned image can be restored, with the effects of fading and minor nicks and scratches removed. Of course, then you have the problem of printing out a 36" 48" image if you want a restored one...

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Oh, duh, I read it as 3 inches x 4 inches.....lol. Actually I wasn't thinking about scanning these. And they are actually not photo's but airbrushed original art by Mr. Kimble. Of course these are just lithographic prints of his original art.....there are a few other prints of his on ebay and they aren't going for a whole lot, well at least as much as we hoped for. Still they are cool. He gets the "cut away" effect by painting on layers of film. Hard to believe these are done by hand...they DO look like photographs!

Hubby is going to hang the Seville in the garage....maybe the Eldo too if it doesn't sell. Anybody interested in buying the Eldo print, let me know!

Since these are with the 4.9 l engine, they are likely 1992 models, the year that the new E/K platform was such a sensation - R&T Car of the Year, etc.

I think that the originally distributed pictures for dealers and such were actually transparent layers that were flipped down over the picture of the exterior. There might even by WWW versions that do the same thing in a slide show. Bruce might know as he was very active with his STS shortly after these came out.

It does start with a photo that Kimble traces for the outline, but it's 100% illustration according to this snippet from the website I posted above....it's fascinating, I wish I had gone into this as a career! :)

"To start an illustration, David Kimble takes a master photograph and enlarges it to the scale of the final illustration. After tracing the exterior photograph onto matte drafting film, he starts the chassis assembly drawings by plotting the components into the tracing one layer at a time. When the preliminary drawing is completed and approved by the client, an assistant inks the line art onto matte drafting film and it is transferred to a transparent sheet of mylar litho film-positive. The image is painted on both sides of the film; chassis on the rear side and body exterior on the front side. By painting on both sides of the transparent film, David Kimble is able to achieve the effect of ghosting the exterior body of the car "over" the chassis without actually spraying the body color onto the chassis side of the film. This process allows for modifications to be made to the amount of ghosting without disturbing the underlying chassis "layer.""

Archived