CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

This is my second rebuilt alternator to go bad. Could something else cause these to go bad or were they going bad from the start ?

In other words just bad rebuilds ?

This is my second rebuilt alternator to go bad. Could something else cause these to go bad or were they going bad from the start ?

In other words just bad rebuilds ?

Buying a rebuilt alternator from a national auto parts chain is a crap shoot. There is a reason some (most?) of those rebuilt alternators come with a lifetime (parts) warranty.

They are rebuilt in Asia with Asian labor and knockoff (inferior) Asian internal electronic components..

If you plan to drive that car for many more years, your best hope is to locate a local Starter/Generator specialty shop and have them try to restore your "rebuilt" alternator with OEM quality parts.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The rebuilt units are iffy at best, Especially with the high output alternators. They use cheap asian bearings and electronic parts like Jim D says.

I went on a search and found an alternator/starter shop that rebuilds the units, I stopped in had a good long chat with the owner. about what suppies he used to make sure they were quality OEM parts made in the US if possible.

Found this out the hard way on my wifes old Lesabre, put on 3 "rebuilt" out of the box alternators from the parts chain store before I got fed up with it and found my alternator guy. He rebuilt the unit never had any other problems with the alternator.

And with what you have to do to drop the alternator on an STS I would hate to do it more than once. .

John

Ok I ordered a new alternator from NAPA. I would assume Delco. I hope thats built with quality parts..Its not a rebuilt.. Oh I had a hunch I would get answers like these. I agree with both of you..This is the first car I ever owned that I couldnt put an alternator on without going through a lot of b.s. to get it off.. I wouldnt even attempt to do this myself. so will have to pay the local repair shop to do it for me. Its a mystery to me how they even get it out of that enclosed space.

Thanks

Don

On my old 94 STS you had to remove the rt front tire to get to some of the bolts then you had to drop the alternator out the bottom through an opening,,belive me it was a hassle and a half, so when my alternator went out I had it rebulit by my local shop.

When I went through replacing the alternator 3 times with my wifes Lesabre, the alternator sits up on top of the engine less than 10 minutes to get off, but boy did it tick me off to keep having to replace it. thats when I decided I would find a local shop to rebuild my alternators.

John

I have a terrific starter and alternator rebuilding shop near me. I always have my unit rebuilt. The only problem I have with them is that they use chinese bearings that end up with flat spots and whine, so I buy US made SKF bearings and supply them when I have the job done. I have never had a problem with a quality rebuilt unit and agree with the comments regarding the 'lifetime warranty" units above

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I got the new alternator from NAPA I dont think its made in the U.S. I will have it installed but if it goes again I will find a repair shop and have the parts replaced with parts made in the U.S. Got the message guys and thanks for the info. Now Im a little worried about taking it on a 2000 mi trip to Ca. and back. Hope it holds. Also I understand its common for alternators to go out in these NS engines because of excessive heat down there especially while waiting at red lights. Heard you could fry an egg on the alternator. Thats why cheap chinese bearings and electronics dont work too well. And yes it has a lifetime warranty. But there still is the fact that labor has to be paid all over again

Don

I never had an alternator go bad in 70,000 miles on my 96, I rebuilt it twice when I did major work that involved pulling it out and pulled it for a whine the first time that I could hear in the cabin.

Have your battery load tested to make sure its good. If a battery goes 100% dead, it never quite gets back to 100% when it is recharged, let that happen a few times and it gets worse everytime. I believe a battery that does not get to 100% will put a strain on the alternator. Also, look at your battery cables, look to see if the copper is visible at the connections and check to see if the copper looks oxidized or discolored, your battery cables could be adding resistance to the charging circuit again putting a strain on your alternator. And....never jump another car with your car, never

I am pretty sure your problem was the lifetime warranty alts. You are correct by the way, heat really decreases the alts output, I have a thread with a chart that shows how bad it can get, Ill try to find it.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I never had an alternator go bad in 70,000 miles on my 96, I rebuilt it twice when I did major work that involved pulling it out and pulled it for a whine the first time that I could hear in the cabin.

Have your battery load tested to make sure its good. If a battery goes 100% dead, it never quite gets back to 100% when it is recharged, let that happen a few times and it gets worse everytime. I believe a battery that does not get to 100% will put a strain on the alternator. Also, look at your battery cables, look to see if the copper is visible at the connections and check to see if the copper looks oxidized or discolored, your battery cables could be adding resistance to the charging circuit again putting a strain on your alternator. And....never jump another car with your car, never

I am pretty sure your problem was the lifetime warranty alts. You are correct by the way, heat really decreases the alts output, I have a thread with a chart that shows how bad it can get, Ill try to find it.

This battery was 100% dead before I bought the car. On your advise Iam going to replace it along with the new alternator. Im keeping my "old" alternator and going to have it rebuilt with American parts then I'll use it if this new one blows..

Thanks for this idea I think your right..

Archived