CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The subject of using stop leak on this forum is very confusing. A lot of you find overheating problems due to using stop leak. While the other half say to use it. I really dont know if I should use it or not. The mechanic says no leaks so he didnt put any in. I sure dont want to use it if it is going to cause heating problems with the cooling system. I mean that would make no sense.. Just like this post probably makes no sense since I will get both pro and con answers.

Confused in Colorado......

Don

I've not heard of any problems using the GM pellets or the Bar's Leaks golden seal which is what the factory used to install in the cooling systems unless a TON of sealer is added.

If you do not have any leaks, you should be fine in not using it - the factory stopped using it in 1999 or so.

The 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines require the use of the sealer due to the engine design. I realize we're talking about a Northstar in this thread but wanted to mention that it is critical to use the sealer in the 4.x engines.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I've not heard of any problems using the GM pellets or the Bar's Leaks golden seal which is what the factory used to install in the cooling systems unless a TON of sealer is added.

If you do not have any leaks, you should be fine in not using it - the factory stopped using it in 1999 or so.

The 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines require the use of the sealer due to the engine design. I realize we're talking about a Northstar in this thread but wanted to mention that it is critical to use the sealer in the 4.x engines.

"Critical to use the sealer in the 4.x engines" The Northstar is a 4.6 engine. Therefore I should use it ??

"Critical to use the sealer in the 4.x engines" The Northstar is a 4.6 engine. Therefore I should use it ??

I "THINK" he meant the 4.x engines "BEFORE" the Northstar...

Meaning the 4.1...4.5 and 4.9 engines

Posted Image

Ok Jim think I'll just pass on the sealer...Thanks

Don

Don,

The sealer is only mandatory for the 4.1/4.5/4.9 engines that have a different construction than the Northstar engine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ok Jim think I'll just pass on the sealer...Thanks

Don

I know our car year models are not the same... but I have almost 122,000 miles on mine, have NEVER used the sealer and have no leaks or seeps... at least none that I know of... :)

Posted Image

Personally, I use it. The cooling supplement seals what has been described as "nuisense leaks". If you have ever done any major work on the Northstar you would know that there are LOTS of places where the Northstar can leak. Let me name a few that I think are applicable but there are more; coolant end tanks, crossover seals, water pump body seal, hose clamps, heater pipes, heater core, water pump cover, etc. Here is a photo of my crossover seals that were NOT leaking but seriously damaged, cracked and deformed, notice if you will, the cooling supplement tablet residue on these seals.

Here is the crossover, you can see evidence of supplement where the seal was damaged

UpperLeftCoolantConnection.jpg

Here are my seals

UpperCrossoverGasket.jpg

DamagedCrossoverGasket.jpg

This seal was physically damaged see piece broken off

LowerCrossoverGasket.jpg

GM stopped using the tablets because it changed the color of the coolant and owners went back to the dealers complaining and over time the radiator and heater core could be clogged. Me, I continue to use it as it will stop small leaks and in my mind it has proved itself and the guru said its good to stop nuisence leaks. I have never had a clogged radiator or heater core but if I do, Ill just flush it out. Its extra protection as far as I am concerned.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived