CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

northstarperformance head repair kit?

my dad's (ret. WWII vet) 2002 sedan deville(his first cadi ever) has a blown head gasket at 72k. dealers only offered him $1,000 for a trad-in or $4,600 to fix it. so after i found the solution for this problem on the internet and the repair kit offered from northstar performance in canada i decided to fix the car for him. he has since bought a Ford (his first ever at 86 years old) and is disgusted with GM products and his sole loyality over the years. Jake, responded to my email and phone calls and he took my credit card information over the phone on May 9th 2012 and the charge appeared on my statement bill. since then i have received a useless UPS tracking number for a product that has never been sent to UPS for delivery, an email promising a new ship date of May 25. since then i have received no response from emails or phone messages left. my help question is; has anybody had this bad experience with this company and is there another kit out there that someone has used and found to be a good quality investment for this repair? thanks.

First, sorry to hear the Cadillac is not doing well. I am glad you plan to repair it.

Generally I have had good exchanges with Jake, so I am surprised about your experience.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I emailed Northstar and got this reply:

Thank you for your inquiry.

We are 98% sure that our supply issues are now resolved. We will confirm this publically on our website tomorrow (June 14, 2012).

WHAT THIS MEANS:::: Stud kits will ship within 24 hours of the order being placed- and availability will no longer be an issue.

If you cannot reach someone in our office today, this means we are currently in the shop ensuring that June 14th, we are up and running as we should be.

Thank you sincerely for your patience and understanding, the steps we have taken were necessary to ensure all customers; present and future- are taken care of.

-Jake Wiebe

Northstar Performance

Bruce

A blown head gasket is not the end of the world... A 10 year old car will have some issues. If the coolant was not changed per the maintenance schedule since the car was new, that is most likely the cause of the blown headgaskets, not the engine itself. My 1993 Fleetwood needed intake manifold gaskets last fall - it's an old car and things don't last forever.

Remember that dealerships are independently owned franchises - the dealer you mentioned would have repaired the car and it would have been on the dealer's used car lot for $5000 - $6000 as they would only have a $2000 - $3000 into it.

The 2002 Deville will have two different length of head bolts if I recall correctly. Since the studs are not the factory authorized repair, I hope there are instructions in the kit that you bought.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Oh boy.... we are going to have to update our autoresponder.

Thank you Bruce for the heads up.

Turtlecop- there have been a number of factors lately affecting our ability to ship properly, and we had supply issues for a short time. Charity Guenther is in the office today (her first day back in around 2 years) taking calls and explaining what's going on. UPS had not entered some things into customs and we had stud kits coming back when they reached Pembina North Dakota. We have been nervous to ship but UPS gave us the "all clear, we're sorry"...... so we're good to go again.

We have stock and are running production currently. I sincerely apologize that you have not been looked after properly- please call us immediately at 1-888-800-9470 and Charity will be happy to clarify the status of the shipment.

When I first started producing and selling the kits (currently still patent pending) I had no idea that the word would spread so quickly and it's become difficult to keep up to the high demand. The good news? The kit works great! The better news....it's produced in house on our own CNC turning center now, quality that we are exceptionally proud of. Now it's just about staying on top of supply and shipping.

I will update everyone a bit later on, it's a busy day and we have a UPS deadline to meet....

We launched a new splash page on our site late last night, which shows current office status, who's here to take calls, and the number of stud kits in inventory. It's all new and it may need fine-tuning, but you can see it now at www.northstarperformance.com. We will do our best for our customers and keep improving things along the way.

Bruce I thank you again.

-Jake Wiebe (Northstar Performance)

I haven't been on these forums in a while....later tonight I will come on here and try to give people some updates and make sure everyone is in the loop with our advancements and developments. We are here to help, the Northstar is a great engine and we have the parts needed to make them indestructible. I want to show you all the new studs that we produce!

Thank you Turtlecop for the patience you've had with us, we want to assure everyone we are running a legitimate business and people will always get what they pay for or their money back, and as well, we know that in the auto repair business time is of the essence. We will soon be back to "stud kits shipped within 24 hours"....

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the rapid response and filling in some of the blanks.

Turtlecop -- hope you get your kit soon. Please keep us posted on how the repair goes.

Bruce

Bruce can you change the title of this thread or Northstar Performance will be forever tagged with SC*M.

I am not a big fan of tar and feathering suppliers before all of the facts are known, as this member has done with Northstar Performance and CADILLAC. As KHE noted improper maintenance will cause all sorts of problems in a 10 year old car regardless of the mileage. As I have said, the multi-million dollar space shuttle designed and built by the smartest people in the world at NASA is grounded for months due to leaks and sensor glitches so a 10 year old car having problems is not a surprise disappointing but not a surprise.

In the old days with a cast iron block a head gasket repair was a cake walk, I did a valve job on a 500 ci Eldorado and it was no big deal, these aluminum transverse engines are much harder to work on when it comes to removing the heads.

I ordered a shed from Home Depot in mid May, and no one knows why it has not been delivered even though the manufacturer shipped it to Home Depot, SHI* happens

Patience

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Gentlemen, thanks for the numerous responses. First to Bodybyfisher, my intention in joining this forum was to try and get some info on this company and their business practices / product. i probably should have used the word "legitimate", scam may have been the wrong word. My apologies for any hurt feelings. Bruce, please delete the word scam from my title question. I mean Jake and his business no harm. Had I known this was the way to reach him I could have saved myself over 49 days of wondering what was going since ordering the kit. KHE, thanks for the reminder about the different length head bolts i read about that and you are correct they are 35 and 51 mm respectively if i am reading the info correct. and thanks whoever gave me the lead on the Timesert product. I will call northstarperformance tomorrow. Thanks for all the info/help. Good night and God bless!

Thanks Turtlecop; edited as requested. I appreciate your response.

Please do keep us posted on how the repair goes.

Bruce

speaking of shippiing problems. I waited a year for sears to get a toolbox for me. Kept getting excuses, They could have just told me from the start that it was stuck at customs in mexico. I would have been alot more understanding.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Post the progress of your repair. Place fasteners for each part removed in a ziplock bag and label the bag so you will know where/how it goes back together. Make notes on the order of removal for the various shields & braces that are attached to the engine.

Are you going to remove the engie from the top or remove the powertrain from the bottom?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

10-4 on the labled zip lock baggies. i baggies and Sharpies by the case at Costco for my projects. as far as the engine removal decision, I read on Jakes web page that they take the engine out the top after removing the RF wheel? i bought the service manuals on the 2002 , and i understand they drop the pwr train from the bottom. my friends garage has a 4 point hydraulic lift. as this will be my most in-depth auto project ever i would appreciate any professional advice on best way to accomplish this project. My father was meticulous in his care/servicing this car (looks showroom new inside and out) and i can't wait to get it fixed and take another long road trip in luxury. My other vehicle is a 95 GMC 1500 which runs great but no comparison on the ride/comfort with the cadi. thanks in advance for the advice and help i am sure i will be seeking. i will post info and pics (if possible) on the progress.

Hi Turtlecop, now you have graduated to "Observer". Those are just titles for how many posts you have made. As you detail your project that will change.

Bruce

Please let us know how this repair goes!

Now to graduate from Observer to LOVER will take a little more effort! :lol:

For Fathers Day, my 14 yo daughter got me this 1953 mint condition model at a garage sale for about $5.00 wow... She told the man, my Dad doesnt just LOVE Cadillacs, he is obsessed with them! Ahh from the mouths of babes! I thought this 53 Cadillac was a very cool Fathers Day present since I was born in 1953.

PIC_0024.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Turtlecop, please email me info@northstarperformance.com with your contact # because at the current time I still cannot pinpoint which of my customers you are- I believe I know. I've been taking care of matters all day that ensure the success of the stud kit / Northstar Performance so I've been in and out of the office.

Bruce - please PM me your direct email address as well if at all possible, I'd like to talk to you about advertising a bit-

Thank you all!

Im lookin to change the head gasket on the same year car and was thinking about orderin the kit from this same company .. .. coukd you keep us posted if.you did receive the kit im planning in ordering one but im not liking the response im gettin when i placed an order and called later on and they didnt know what car model i was talkin about all they wanted to know was how i was gona pay ... it seemed strange please keep us po

here here gents, im lookin also. hay new knee installed last thursday so far so good!!!!!!

I have been in contact with northstarperformance via email with Jake. He has explained his predicament with his company issues and has explained his plans to overcome things. At this point i will not be going forward with my purchase with his company. i wish him the best of luck with his pending patent etc. i have been searching companies that handle these types of repairs and gathering information on them. i will advise my findings. everyone please do the same in your search 02devilleluv. This was a regrettable turn of events indeed...

Thanks Turtlecop; please keep us informed on how your repair progresses. Perhaps start a new thread with a title like "Turtlecop's Head gasket repair project" or similar once you are ready.

Bruce

Archived