CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1999 Cadillac STS Code P0101 and or fuel pump

ialicea

I need some help I have a problem where the cold the 0101 keeps coming up (1999 Cadillac STS)

I know it is a map sensor code I have changed the map sensor,

and I keep getting service engine light keeps coming on.

I'm starting to think it's the fuel Palm....

just want someone to be able to confirm this for me.

I have been driving and the acceleration is very sluggish when you speed up too fast

but if I accelerate slowly not pushing the pedal down to fast, I can drive all the way home from work Without the cold coming up.

once in a while when I go to start the car I notice it will not start until I pushed the accelerator down to give it gas

so looking for some help on what I can look for. I don't see any vacuum holes that our loose

I have checked the wires and changed my sparkplugs and I put a new fuel filter on the car.

I also have got a cold in the past of a misfire happening

not sure where the misfires happening but it's always in history.

So with this information that I hope someone can tell me what they think it might be I would appreciate

any and all help just need to know if I should start looking at replacing the fuel pump or weight into it completely goes out.

Tanks

Makle sure all the intake ducting is connected tightly. Don't change the fuel pump without first checking the fuel pressure. Check the FPR for a leak and check to be sure you do not have a clogged CAT.

Definately check the fuel pressure regulator. if it is that bad it should be pretty obvious when you pull the vacumn line.

regulator is located on the driver side near the egr valve.It is at the edge of the fuel rail

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Okay today I changed the idle air control valve,

looks to have done the job also cleaned out the intake with carburetor cleaner the car is running a lot better.

I also pulled and regap all the plugs finding one to be over gapped a whole lot

and made sure all the cables were on their nice and tight.

I'll see how the car runs tomorrow when I go to work but driving around the neighborhood

it was no longer sluggish when I accelerated.

Found a neighbor who says he is a GM mechanic

and mentioned to me that I needed to reset the timing

he said he'll look at the car tomorrow to see if we can get rid of the little shaking that it is doing.

Not sure if I should let Helm mess with the car any ideas from everyone out there.

Thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions.

and mentioned to me that I needed to reset the timing....he said he'll look at the car tomorrow to see if we can get rid of the little shaking that it is doing.

Not sure if I should let Helm mess with the car any ideas from everyone out there.

One idea. Do not allow that neighbor to touch your car.

It is NOT possible to "reset the timing" on a 1999 Seville Northstar as a Saturday morning project.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

and mentioned to me that I needed to reset the timing....he said he'll look at the car tomorrow to see if we can get rid of the little shaking that it is doing.

One idea. Do not allow that neighbor to touch your car.

It is NOT possible to "reset the timing" on a 1999 Seville Northstar as a Saturday morning project.

I second that. If timing were off aat all you would have codes.

Timing is not easy on almost every vehicle made today.

GM FAN FOREVER

I also pulled and regap all the plugs finding one to be over gapped a whole lot

and made sure all the cables were on their nice and tight.

I'll see how the car runs tomorrow when I go to work but driving around the neighborhood

it was no longer sluggish when I accelerated.

and mentioned to me that I needed to reset the timing

he said he'll look at the car tomorrow to see if we can get rid of the little shaking that it is doing.

Thanks a lot for all the help and suggestions.

Was the platinum pad present on the ground electrode of the plug that had the excessive gap? That could cause a misfire/rough running condition.

Ask your neighbor how he plans to "reset the timing".....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A P0101 is a mass air flow sensor not a map sensor error. For the MAF sensor you can try cleaning it with contact cleaner (brake cleaner will also work).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Just to get back to eveyone It runs better but on the way to work the code P0101 came back right as i accelerated from a stop light.

I started to go then it paused and off I go.

As far as I know brake cleaner is not to be used on MAF due to sensitivity. There is MAF cleaner to specifically clean it. MAFs are very sensitive to foreign particles so it wouldnt take much

GM FAN FOREVER

I don't know what the difference between brake cleaner and MAF cleaner, but brakkleen evaporates quickly and leaves no residue behind, much like MAF cleaner. I doubt there is much difference. Personally, I agree with C&C and think either would work just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

hello boy was that dirty and sprayed it into the intake valve I got a carburetor cleanerHi I have an update on what I've done so far, I did go out and clean the intake valve with carburetor and fuel injection cleaner.

I found it to look like it had in their tar in it.

but I got it cleaned up but it did not help

the car still running sluggish and slow on takeoff at and running smooth once a get up to speed

still shaking did find that one of the motor mounts need to be replaced

any ideas on what I can look at to help the car run better would be appreciated.

Sorry took so long went out of town for a while

tested the fuel pressure today and found that it wasnot good,I find it to be jumping between 42 and 48 psi

will someone tell me if this is the right PSI, I would greatly appreciate it but Ithink I found that it should be between 48 and 55 PSI

also I found that I had to put in a new thermostat the car was overheating after putting the new one in I put any freeze mix with water

and I keep getting it to overflow not sure why I've let it run to get the air pockets out but keeps bubbling up

also I'm seen White little bubbles almost like foam not sure what's going on I can feel the water moving through the holes is

but as he gets hotter it gets to about three quarters of the dial and then the fans kick on and the gets a little cooler but still overflowing out of the cap.

on a side note like to know if anybody has an answer on why my right hand lights for turning are not coming on but you can hear the clicking inside the car

I put new bugs in but it's not working?

Your fuel pressure is just fine. Mine idles at 38-39 psi.

Your temperatures however, are not. Get a block test kit and check for exhaust gases in the surge tank. You can borrow one from AutoZone and just pay for the test fluid.

There should be instructions with the test kit. Do the test after an overheat episode, but let the engine cool enough to safely open the cap and DO NOT top off the coolant before testing.

Update put new sparkplugs in gapped at 50 and got a new cold P1599, it also stalled at a stop after driving around.

also it is still running sluggish when you give it gas it almost acts like he wants to turn off but then starts to go but goes very slowly.

And to top it off I heard a hissing sound from the radiator on the passenger side of the car looks to me like I have a radiator leak on top of all of this .

still got the cold P0121 on the net was somthing about a crank shaft sensor not sure about this any help would be appreciated .

thanks for all the ideas and any suggestions thatand come out what .

If you could get a good engine analzyer on it, like the ones that have a USB connection for a laptop, you can get codes that don't show on the in-car OBD check. In particular, this will tell you which cylinder is missing, even before a P0300 is displayed. I diagnosed a plug wire problem that way once. Your problem is soudning more and more like a plug wire.

The P0121 code is for the throttle position sensor, not a crank sensor.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What is the fuel pressure when driving the car and the symptom occurs? You may need to add a length of hose to the tester and tape the gage to the windshield. Any hydraulic shop can make a hose for you. I took my fuel pressure tester to a local shop several years ago and had them replace the 12" hose with a 4-foot hose so I could tape the gage to the windshield.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived