CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 STS ECU reset with losing all settings

I've searched the internet for instructions to resetting ECU, But all I've seen is disconnect battery and turn headlight into on position?? which is what I've done before with more electronically simply vehicles.

But I don't fancy losing all my settings, surely disconnecting battery will lose all radio settings, driver 1 and 2 seating positions, all them feature functions etc etc...

I just want to reset as I hear it has a driver learn feature and my MPG is shocking... in fact my 7.3 Powerstroke LWB F350 is better on fuel.

So is there another way to reset without losing settings.

P.S I've already done oil with 5w30 Magnatec fully synth, cleaned the dirty throttle body intake, replaced air filter (which was dirty) going to do plugs soon (no plug leads being 2001)

I've no codes no warning lights and no issues, well if I'm being fussy there is a very very slight miss, mainly when at a stop with foot on brake, its a split second faulter and bearly noticable to be honest.

One other thing? my F350 has quicker acceleration, not that we race the car, we have kids and safety is paramount, but have noticed when entering freeways at full throttle (e.g to get in front of a truck already on freeway, or too overtake on single lane roads)

I have disconnected the batteries in both of my cadillacs and lost no settings, including user settings. Hope this helps.

What octane fuel do you run?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I have disconnected the batteries in both of my cadillacs and lost no settings, including user settings. Hope this helps.

What octane fuel do you run?

Umm really!! see on my F350 if I disconnect I lose all TV channels, DVD settings and radio stations, same with the JDM vehicles I've owned.

How does it keep memory on settings? out of intetrest... I then wonder does it actually reset the ECU/PCM, is that also getting this power supply??

I may try tomorrow in that case, worse case I'll spend an hour setting things up again and dragging the wife out to get her seating position lol!! I'm only 5ft 7" where she is 5ft 10"

As for Octane I use 95 but I hear US and UK octane are different,

The american regular 87 octane would work out as 91-92 here..I can get 99 octane but your then looking at $13.00 a gallon!!!!

entry from Wiki:

"In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock IndexAKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the USCanada, would be 91-92 in Europe.

....I just want to reset as I hear it has a driver learn feature and my MPG is shocking...

The only driver specific "learning" that takes place is transmission shift patterns/pressure adjustments. As an example, if you were full throttle driving followed by hard braking followed by full throttle application again (as in competing on a closed course), the transmission shift points and shift pressure would be adjusted for maximum performance & minimum slippage (hard, firm shifts).

BUT. That adjustment would evaporate as soon as the key was turned OFF. The next drive cycle would be back to normal operation.

The system is/was known as Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Shane,

If I wanted to get as close to a reset as possible...I would take "BOTH" battery cables off of the battery.

Then I would touch them together for a few seconds... (making sure they made good contact with each other)... to drain all of the capacitors in the electrical system.

I do not know if that will cause you to lose any of your presets or not... and I have doubts that it will do anything to the PCM.

In my 2006 Owners Manual... it highly recommends Premium fuel... US 91 octane or higher.

Maybe that would be the same as 96 or 97 in the UK... I don't know.

It states that lower octane fuel may be used but at a cost of reduced performance.

As for the slow performance, I do not understand the lack of acceleration at all.

My car is a 2.5 ton 2006 DTS.

It will go 0 to 60 in just a hair over 6 seconds... it would be quicker, but it has a lot of wheelspin taking off from a dead stop at wide open throttle.

If it is already moving... like your example of starting up an entrance ramp to get ahead of oncoming traffic... I have never had that to be an issue.

In a very short distance it will quickly go from 40/45 mph to 80+ mph.

If you are at 35 mph or less and "STAND ON IT" so that it shifts all the way back to first gear, you have to be careful of tire spin and torque steer.

Posted Image

I believe the BCM holds memory. Ford and Cadillac are nowhere near comparable. Their systems are very different and sophistocated.

The F350 doesnt have half the computers that a Cadillac has.

I would pull your codes and post them here. Is the service engine light on?

GM FAN FOREVER

Thanks for the info so far guys

I believe the BCM holds memory. Ford and Cadillac are nowhere near comparable. Their systems are very different and sophistocated.

The F350 doesnt have half the computers that a Cadillac has.

I would pull your codes and post them here. Is the service engine light on?

Rockfangd, totally understand that, the F350 is very electronically basic compared to the STS Spaceship

As for codes.. I have one.. did have a few History but nothing that involved engine or emissions, the only present code (can't recall actual code) was regarding it having new pads fitted all round without the sensor replacement, so I get the Change brake pad message everytime I start her up... had all wheels off to bleed brake fluid and notice someone had already looped the wires, so don't understand why it still displays brake message.. its no biggy just gets on my nerves a bit lol!!

Shane,

If I wanted to get as close to a reset as possible...I would take "BOTH" battery cables off of the battery.

Then I would touch them together for a few seconds... (making sure they made good contact with each other)... to drain all of the capacitors in the electrical system.

I do not know if that will cause you to lose any of your presets or not... and I have doubts that it will do anything to the PCM.

In my 2006 Owners Manual... it highly recommends Premium fuel... US 91 octane or higher.

Maybe that would be the same as 96 or 97 in the UK... I don't know.

It states that lower octane fuel may be used but at a cost of reduced performance.

As for the slow performance, I do not understand the lack of acceleration at all.

My car is a 2.5 ton 2006 DTS.

It will go 0 to 60 in just a hair over 6 seconds... it would be quicker, but it has a lot of wheelspin taking off from a dead stop at wide open throttle.

If it is already moving... like your example of starting up an entrance ramp to get ahead of oncoming traffic... I have never had that to be an issue.

In a very short distance it will quickly go from 40/45 mph to 80+ mph.

If you are at 35 mph or less and "STAND ON IT" so that it shifts all the way back to first gear, you have to be careful of tire spin and torque steer.

Thanks Texas Jim all very interesting, so I wonder if this reset idea is a waste of time? I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was my 89 Trans-am GTA 5.7 that when I reset it, it was like a different car.

I'm going to try 99 octane at next fill.. I know the few Skyline GTR's I've owned run noticeably different on high octane, but then they were 2.6 straight 6 twin turbos running 400+ bhp, same with my 500hp Supercharged V10 Triton dually and F150 Supercharged Harley.. but these are forced induction so its understandable.

On my F350 7.3 Powerstroke I've only done 6637 intake (huge open filter) 5" Bully dog turbo back no cat filter, and Edge Evolution tuner/computer (running 60hp tune) so minor mods really but I'm getting 0-60mph in 5.7 seconds, I've not timed STS yet only did truck as the tuner has the feature, but I know its slower and I just don't get that push into seat feeling... I'm NOT a racer, truck is modded for torque as I pull a 34ft Newmar 5th wheel here in England.

Its just in the UK we have them terrible things called roundabouts and I don't feel I can zip out onto them in the STS as where the truck I just have to watch for rear wheel spin.

Our STS does down shift to first if under 35mph, but there is a delay of upto a second I'd say!! which is not good for overtaking, my gear changes are very seamless infact its hard to notice gear shifts with our driving style.

....I just want to reset as I hear it has a driver learn feature and my MPG is shocking...

The only driver specific "learning" that takes place is transmission shift patterns/pressure adjustments. As an example, if you were full throttle driving followed by hard braking followed by full throttle application again (as in competing on a closed course), the transmission shift points and shift pressure would be adjusted for maximum performance & minimum slippage (hard, firm shifts).

BUT. That adjustment would evaporate as soon as the key was turned OFF. The next drive cycle would be back to normal operation.

The system is/was known as Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS).

Thanks JimD good to learn

You seem to compare your Cadillac to every other car you've ever owned.. I wouldn't do that. This is a Cadillac and nothing else (especially it's no Ford!!!!)

I use 95 Octane fuel for now about 30.000 miles or more and never had any problems. (I think Austria and GB have the same standards)

I've tried 98 and 100 Octane as well, but there are no changes in fuel economy or engine sound.

My Seville... in town:

15mpg (us)

15,6 liters/100km

18mpg (uk)

and on the highway:

21mpg (us)

11,2 liters/100km

25,2mpg (uk)

You can compare these values with your car. If you need much more fuel then something is wrong :)

I wonder if tires could be a culprit in your lack of power and fuel economy.

Is the car completely factory? no addons? these cars run best completely original. As the guru states the northstar was designed to perform at is maximum completely stock.

I do notice that the 99+ does take a second or 2 more to shift compared to my earlier 90s but that is due t the difference in the internal components on the newer ones. but regardless the power should still be the same, if not more. These cars are not to spin the tires (you definately could but I dont recommend it) they are meant to take off strong and haul.

Now there is a little difference between the SLS and the STS. I believe it goes like this. the SLS is not as fast off the line but can pickup faster at higher speeds, and the STS is faster off the line but cant pickup as fasy at higher speeds.

Needless to say both my Cadillacs haul off the line and at higher speeds. People tell me heavy throttle is bad for your wallet but why waste a v8. I run about 18.4 average mix of city and highway

GM FAN FOREVER

both my 96 and 97 are nearly identical. I drive them both the same. the 96 has 197000 miles. the 97 has 111000 miles.

GM FAN FOREVER

You seem to compare your Cadillac to every other car you've ever owned.. I wouldn't do that. This is a Cadillac and nothing else (especially it's no Ford!!!!)

I use 95 Octane fuel for now about 30.000 miles or more and never had any problems. (I think Austria and GB have the same standards)

I've tried 98 and 100 Octane as well, but there are no changes in fuel economy or engine sound.

My Seville... in town:

15mpg (us)

15,6 liters/100km

18mpg (uk)

and on the highway:

21mpg (us)

11,2 liters/100km

25,2mpg (uk)

You can compare these values with your car. If you need much more fuel then something is wrong :)

Well thanks for the added input people.

Chris, I'm sure I'm reading it wrong, but you came across slightly irritated....?

I'm sorry but just trying to figure out on an informative forum whats wrong, as its clear to me I'm using way to much fuel even though we drive it like Miss Daisy.

As I've said we don't race around, but keeping under 60mph and with gentle speed increases (Example 0-60 in 20-25 seconds) its no fun what so ever.

I'm sorry to compare with previous owned vehicles, I figured it made sense? but I'm not one of these haters that looks down on everything but what I own.

I get sick of the Powerstroke vs Cummings fights lol!!.............THEY ARE BOTH GREAT!!... the "its not a ford!!!!" comment I guess you dislike Ford but with risk of bringing up another previously owned vehicle... I'll be honest My 2001 Lincoln Towcar, drove nicer, did better fuel, was more comfortable and recieved much more comments from by-standers, BUT was simply waaaaaay to big for UK parking lots.

But seriously a Cadillac STS is a car, a vehicle, although a nice one, nothing else nothing more

The forum thread was only after checking the obvious, fault codes, vac leaks, binding brakes, did oil and filters, tyre pressure, etc etc I thought there was an ECU reset like on many many vehicles, turns out there is not... so I'm stumped...

We love the 01 STS, JUST surprised our old 93 STS was faster and better on fuel..

I'm crippled with back issues and cronic M.E illness so on a limited reduced income, so was just trying to save a few quid!!!! we've already lost our house, the Viper, the twice a year holidays, the ability to buy what we want when we want.. all we wish to do is keep our STS, The F350 and 5th wheel.. so trying to ease the struggle...

So thanks for the input guys, but I think we will leave it at that.....

All the best............

Shane and Vanessa

Shane...

I don't think you actually said what exact mileage you are getting on your STS...

If you did... I missed it.

If you don't mind..please repost what mileage you are actually getting...

Posted Image

Shane...

I don't think you actually said what exact mileage you are getting on your STS...

Hi Jim.

This is in UK mpg I'm afraid, not sure how its worked out but I know it works out even less US figures...

24mpg on motorways (Freeways)

and harder to work out but

11-12 mpg village (Rural) driving, no traffic as such, but 20-45mph on level twisty roads

Our average over 3 weeks sits around 10.4 - 11.2 mpg.

Using quality fuel "Shell" no real load but one adult 2 under 5's and an alloy buggy/pram/stroller thing, never using A/C...

it just don't add up? like I say car is faultless other than a very minor idle stutter (a miss if you will, but unnoticable to most normal people)

No codes, no lights, GM dealer serviced 90% of its life and at 65,000 miles

Shane...

Hi Jim.

This is in UK mpg I'm afraid, not sure how its worked out but I know it works out even less US figures...

24mpg on motorways (Freeways)

and harder to work out but

11-12 mpg village (Rural) driving, no traffic as such, but 20-45mph on level twisty roads

Our average over 3 weeks sits around 10.4 - 11.2 mpg.

Using quality fuel "Shell" no real load but one adult 2 under 5's and an alloy buggy/pram/stroller thing, never using A/C...

it just don't add up? like I say car is faultless other than a very minor idle stutter (a miss if you will, but unnoticable to most normal people)

No codes, no lights, GM dealer serviced 90% of its life and at 65,000 miles

Remember... you have a car that weighs over two tons and has a 300 HP V8 with a 3.73 final drive ratio.

My car... with a similar engine... gets about 22 at a steady speed when I on the freeway when I am not around a town and traffic.

So.... your 24 MPG on freeways is not that much different from my 22.

I probably drive faster because I probably have less traffic than you do.

My speed on local freeways (traffic permitting of course)...is usually between 65 and 80 MPH.

I really don't know what it would get in urban traffic with a lot of stoplights and slow traffic.

My car has never done much of that.

I am lucky that my city.. Fort Worth Texas.. has a really nice freeway system so that you can go almost anywhere on a freeway and only have to drive a short distance on local surface streets to get somewhere.

Posted Image

....This is in UK mpg I'm afraid, not sure how its worked out but I know it works out even less US figures...

24mpg on motorways (Freeways)....

No matter how you slice it, 24 MPG using Imperial gallons is terrible highway fuel efficiency.

Ten Imperial gallons = 12 US gallons. Conversely, 10 US gallons = 8.327 Imperial gallons.

You might have other issues in play.

What tire pressure do you run?

Is the vehicle subject to frequent "short trips" where the engine never reaches operating temperature?

Is there 200 or 300 pounds of whatever equipment stored in the trunk?

Is the vehicle subject to extended periods of engine idle time when the vehicle is not moving?

So many variables....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

So many variables....as you say JimD but I figured I'd covered most hence why I ended up asking on the forum.

Scared to say another vehicle brand name, due to past comments lol!! BUT another vehicle I may own, had bad fuel returns and it was quicky discovered I had leaking intercooler up pipes and binding rear caliper, only after advise from forums and the fact I found out the up pipe is a common cause...

What tire pressure do you run?

32 ALL ROUND

Is the vehicle subject to frequent "short trips" where the engine never reaches operating temperature?

On school run yes, its 5 minutes each way and a total of 6 miles, but the freeway 24 UK mpg is always up to temp, NEVER over 55-60mph, even instant MPG on display while cruise is active is where the best of 24 is seen

Is there 200 or 300 pounds of whatever equipment stored in the trunk?

No, nothing more than a rubber trunk mat and alloy stroller, one small light adult, a 2 and a 5 yr old

Is the vehicle subject to extended periods of engine idle time when the vehicle is not moving?

No never ever

Other thing to remember is we are driving soooooo Gently, even semi trucks and old people pass us we are so slow, at $12.00 a gallon every mile counts.

its dumb I can't compare with anything, simply because its a Cadillac!!! don't wanna drop more names either, but seriously our 8.0 V10 did better fuel in 6th gear as does my heavy, 7.3 diesel turbo, swamp tire wearing pick up, if driven gentle like we are forced to do with the STS.

Like I said before I had just hoped it may have been a simple common issue, that maybe a ECU reset would have sorted, obviously not but past experiance on American forums had always proved friendly, helpful and a positive experiance, personally and sadly not so much the case here although I REALLY appriciate the constructive and positive replies I've had

Shane,

I personally don't have a problem with comparing it to other vehicles.

Our life is based on comparing things to figure out what we want.

Don't let one or two comments get you down on the forum.

This forum is a great place.

It is very puzzling to me why the fuel mileage and the performance is so bad... especially the performance.

I have never driven a NorthStar with bad performance.

I would like to know the answer to that.

A bad Catalytic Converter would cause both issues you are having... but that would throw a code...

I am kind of at a loss as to what could be causing your issues.

I drive mine fairly hard compared to you and I am getting about the same mileage as you... maybe a tad bit better.

And I have no issue with power or performance.

Posted Image

That's a big difference between 11mpg and 24mpg.. If I drive my Seville only over short distances in town the fuel consumption is pretty high as well, but I doubt that other 2 ton cars with such an engine will do much better.

I don't really dislike Ford (probably some models are pretty good, that's something I don't know) but these cars have absolutely nothing in common. If I compare my Seville to other cars I drive or have driven there will be things the Caddy can better and some things the Caddy is worse. My point is you should compare the fuel consumption with other owners of a Cadillac with the Northstar engine and not to all other possible cars if you want to find out if it's to high for this car or if it's just what it will need.

Best thing to do with any STS is just fill it,floor it and enjoy it.

Never driven mine in a gas saving manner and its paid off,the car drives great and best of all i know for sure its not getting gummed up.As for your shift delay when coming onto a slip road i have that same maybe 1 sec interval but then the front lifts and before i know it im hitting 95mph from 50mph almost instantly.

My first STS was a 2001 and i learnt that these cars cant be driven like a 57' coupe ha ha.

I dont know what mleage im getting,it cant be much but to be honest its not worth looking at the numbers on the dash as they mean nothing at all...just keep the fuel gauge full.

Best thing to do with any STS is just fill it,floor it and enjoy it.

Never driven mine in a gas saving manner and its paid off,the car drives great and best of all i know for sure its not getting gummed up.As for your shift delay when coming onto a slip road i have that same maybe 1 sec interval but then the front lifts and before i know it im hitting 95mph from 50mph almost instantly.

My first STS was a 2001 and i learnt that these cars cant be driven like a 57' coupe ha ha.

I dont know what mleage im getting,it cant be much but to be honest its not worth looking at the numbers on the dash as they mean nothing at all...just keep the fuel gauge full.

I completely agree with that. I do that with both of mine and never worry for a second

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived