CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Fluid Remove

growe3

I am going cross country again (California - the UP in Michigan) and I wanted to refresh the transmission fluid before I go.

This car is a 2004 DTS, with just over 100k miles. I know that I don't have to do this, but I would like to.

I was planning to:

• Detach the transmission line at the cooler.
  • Attach a piece of fuel line to the metal cooler line.
  • Put the end of the fuel line into a container to catch the fluid
  • Start the engine to pump out the fluid; stopping the engine when the fluid does not readily come out.
  • Then replace the fluid with whatever amount necessary.

My questions:

• Approximately how much fluid will be discharged using this method?
  • Do I need to increase the engine RPM above an idle?
  • Any particular warnings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

All that fancy formatting makes the original post difficult to quote cleanly.

It "sounds like" you intend to open the bottom cooler line and I suggest there is a cleaner neater method.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

It "sounds like" you intend to open the bottom cooler line and I suggest there is a cleaner neater method.

I am not sure what you mean by "fancy formatting". I listed what I intend to do in a clear listed manner.

You mentioned that you may have a "cleaner neater method". What is this method?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by "fancy formatting". I listed what I intend to do in a clear listed manner.

Try to quote sections of your original post and respond to yourself. You will see what I mean.

I understood your intentions; the bullet points (formatting) make it difficult to quote cleanly.

You mentioned that you may have a "cleaner neater method". What is this method?

Give me several hours to compose a text file that I can copy and paste into a response. I should have done that years ago because I have described my method many times and each time from scratch.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

4T80-E transaxle fluid pump-out.

The transaxle fluid is connected to the LH radiator end tank for cooling purposes. Transaxle fluid pressure is routed to the bottom end tank fitting and the fluid is returned to the transaxle via the upper end tank fitting. Pumping the system dry becomes a matter of removing the return line from the upper end tank fitting and adapting the configuration of the end tank plumbing so the fluid can be directed to a large bucket instead of being returned to the transaxle. Fluid IN at the bottom and fluid OUT at the top.

My '98 Seville (and many other year models) used a quick-disconnect arrangement at the top fitting. There is a plastic/nylon collar covering a hair pin spring that secures the steel line to the fitting in the radiator end tank.Slide the collar out of the way, remove the hair pin spring, and separate the steel line from the radiator fitting. DO NOT lose the spring or the O ring on the end of the steel line.

Use your plumbing skills to adapt the radiator fitting to something that allows a hose to be attached so the fluid can be directed to your large bucket. Pictured is the fitting I used with a '98 Seville.

Use enough hose so you can place the bucket beside the open driver's door. Run the engine @ idle in PARK and be prepared to stop the engine the instant fluid flow stops. This method will pump out approximately 11 to 12 quarts of transaxle fluid.

Button all the plumbing back to original and pour 11 quarts of DEXRON VI in the transaxle. Drive the car at least five miles to warm the new fluid and adjust the level on the dipstick as needed. Always check fluid level warm with engine @ idle in PARK.

post-16-0-43783300-1339281849_thumb.jpg

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Growe3,

You will get some 90 - 95% of old ATF out. I, personally turned the engine off as soon as some foam started getting out, added a pint of fresh ATF, turned the engine on for a few seconds again to finish flushing.

As for RPM, the lower RPM the better control you have. I remember even disabling ISC motor on my 4.9 liter engine to have the RPM at the minimum.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks Jim.

This sounds like the information that I was looking for. Mostly I was not sure of just how much fluid I could pump out, and I want to be sure to have a large enough container to catch it all without a mess.

I appreciate you taking the time for a good explanation of the process.

-George

PS

I tried as you suggested to reply to my initial note, and it was clear and easy to reply. It my be just the browser, or reading mode your are in when replying. Any way all's well.

-G

DTS_Signature.jpg

Once you have the old fluid out, I would drop the pan and clean the crud from the bottom of the pan and magnet. Use a GM pan gasket as the aftermarket cork gaskets are junk and will leak.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

my 96 seville has a steel trans fluid line on the upper corner next to the airbox. easy to reach. i could easily get this line from a donor car at junkyard and use it too route into a catch can to make fluid transfer easier. i assume the fluid in/out on the radiator is the same for 96 and 04 years? or did GM change the hose routing? 3 gals of fluid? what does tranny fluid cost compared to oil? most stores have 1 or 2 brands of fluid compared to 34 for oil.

Not positive, but I don't think the supply and return lines have changed.

Best price I found for Dexron VI was Walmarts SuperTech brand. I don't remember the price, but it was about 50% cheaper than anything else I found.

Archived