CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 third brake light non LED set up

Us again, new owners and all that lol!! with a bank of questions although trying to learn myself with internet assistance as I've only owned this 2001 STS and a 93 STS I imported from Yokohama Japan a few years back.

I've done a search here and on the net and just end up at a LEDfix site and no info I'm after.

Now correct me if I'm wrong? but ALL STS and SLS run LED strip third brake lights in the tailgate??

Its just that on our STS its not LED but still looks OK as you can see in the photo... it kinda fades either side, although my 4yr old son would be more impressed if it was bright L.E.D

Let me know guy's as I'll in time pull mine out to see if I can get a brighter bulb in there and see how this has been done, as it would sure be a cheaper fix for the poor owners that have loss of LED operation.

By the way its not a UK thing, I've seen ALL other STS/SLS with LED, just noting that as there is some differences on the Euro examples, like the weird need for two brake reservoir's!!!! white marker lights (which I already converted back to amber)

100_3102.jpg

That appears to be an LED light to me. All the '98-'04 Sevilles seem to look that way The '92-'97 models had a different LED tail light that was more visible across the length.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Your third lamp is...in fact...a LED lamp.

It is built differently then the earlier '92-97 version.

On the '92-97 lamp you could easily see each and every LED. On your lamp, the LED's are behind a clear, defuser type lens. So it can sort of look like somethings wrong at different angles.

Your lamp appears to be working correctly.

Update....I had to go look it up. The clear lens used inside the 1998-2004 lamp is called a 'fresnel' lens. Sort of like what's used on a lighthouse.

Well once again thanks for the info... at least mine is working then.. its so dim I just thought it had been converted or something, what kinda threw me was every other Caddy I've seen on the road had the real bright L.E.D's.

I must say I only see maybe 1 or 2 a year, real caddies that is as!!! we have a lot of the BLS which to me is a re-badged SAAB and are already worthless due to various technical issues they suffer... saw a 2010 for sale last week for £2,450 and a good 2001 STS can still fetch £3,000+ that in itself says something

Archived