CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2001 STS oil filter wrong fit in UK

Hi guys.

Glad I found this forum, as another cadillacforums I joined via iphone app will not let me do anything at all but read???

This is our first post, we are in the UK and have a right hand drive version sold via Vauxhall for a limited time bewtween 98-2002

So bit of a problem here, two days ago I thought I'd change the oil as our recently purchased 64k 2001 STS had full dealer history but last owner had not bothered for two years it seems!!

So I ordered an oil filter online and brought 5w30 Castrol Magnatec fully synth oil, dropped the old oil, removed the AC Delco oil filter, then checked it against the new filter, sizes seemed correct.

However upon trying to screw new filter on (after filling with new oil) it was not going, so pulled it down to compare again, Doh!! although actual filter housing size seems about right its the thread thats totally wrong, the new filter the thread/bore is way to small by a good 4-5mm it seems.

Took it back to store 20 miles away, in my other USA vehicle a fuel sucking 7.3 Powerstroke F350 (OVER $12.00 A GALLON HERE!) they checked and double checked and filter comes back as correct!! but I had taken old filter to show them..

They have been REALLY good, even given me for FREE 5L of 5 year red coolant and a 1L bottle of Castrol Magnatec to replace what I put in filter, BUT here is a big problem...

I have a 2001 Cadillac STS on my drive with no oil and no oil filter in place!!! soon to be required for school runs and son's birthday party!!

Can anybody advise, is there two varients of filter?? it's a 4.6 Northstar but I notice I have no spark plug wires, but coil cassettes? is this why...

I'm pretty clued up on American vehicles, I've owned over 30, from a RT/10 Viper to a Chevy Berretta 2.8 GTU, even a genuine 2006 Dodge Charger police cruiser, Caddy wise I've only had a 2000 Escalade and a Japanese imported 93 Seville Northstar.. however I'm not that technical.

Most grateful for any advise

Whats the brand and # of your old filter? (the one which fits).

You can get filters pretty fast from local dealers (even in Austria) or you order some from www.rockauto.com

Just order the same # that was on your car, maybe it's the ac delco pf61 or pf61e (same size).

The 5w30 is a good oil for you Cadillac, I usw 10w40 but I have the older engine with the spark plug wires :) This change was made between 2000 and 2001 I think.

Mount the new filter before you fill in the fresh oil. (and fill it with some oil before installing)

Thanks Chris, wish it was that easy though, I know it was an AC Delco, it was blue and DID have a code, but oil did spill as I removed it, so wiped it and removed ALL trace of part number.. ahhhhh!!!!

Thing is its a car that was sold in the UK from new and I really didn't expect an issue on such a common USA vehicle, a Chevy Berretta I'd understand, but??

Thing is the English look after nothing lol!! I had to view over 10 STS's before finding a faultless one with no codes or issues, this had full history until someone that couldn't really afford it brought it 2 years ago, lucky I think I've rescued it in time, this was the first time in 5 years buying in the UK as I always imported my USA vehicle from Japan due to conditions.

Rockautos are great, but really only if ordering a few bits, an oil filter would be very expensive, besides The ones on there site cross ref to what I have here that simply does not and will not fit. plus I've only until the 8th to sort out.

Funny thing is I've done everything on my 99 F350 7.3 Powerstroke and it was plain sailing for parts even though its ultra rare in the UK... and I modded it up too

At the moment it seems us brits don't change the oil filter, surely our STS is not an exclusive one off oil filter adapted model lol!!

Just incase anybody can see an issue with chassis No: 1G6KY5495YU

What filter do you have now that won't fit?

Do you have a owners manual? I have one from 2001 and it says oil filter: AC Type PF-58

Also I found out that the PF-58 is now PF61 and the PF61e is only a better version of the PF61e with an antidrainback valve, which will be usefull if you don't drive very often and the oil otherwise would drain-back into the oil pan (less protection for the bearings at cold starts) I use the PF61e and it fits perfect just like the PF61 that I had before.

If you now have one of the listed numbers and it won't fit, maybe you have a damaged thread? If it's one of them it MUST fit ;)

If you order express you can still get one from rockauto until June 8th.. sure it's not cheap, maybe you can order some other parts that you need as well.

I copy some parts from the 2001 owners manual, maybe you want to service the whole car:

Air Filter Element . . . . . . . . . . . . . AC Type A1208C

Fuel Filter Element . . . . . . . . . . . . AC Type GF-627

Engine Oil Filter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AC Type PF-58

PCV Valve . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AC Type CV-774C

Spark Plugs . . . PT16EPR-C13 (GM part 12561466)

Gap: 0.050 inches (1.3 mm)

I do this all the time I buy a "new" used car... make a whole service as I don't believe in what the pre-owner tells me and all parts like fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil, cooling fluid, brake fluid and transmission oil won't cost more than 200 Euro and after that I know for the whole future of my car, what has been done! (not much in contrast to the car's price... and you are one the "safe-side")

Hey Chris thanks so much for your help, VERY quite here at the moment?

Sadly one thing I DIDN'T get was the service books and manual's (lost by previous) Lucky it was dealer serviced by first owner for first 9 years and Bauer Millet have confirmed they have records to forward to me for costs of £60.00, however a euro 2001 owners book is uber rare and totally unavailable, so I have to use a downloaded USA 2001 book.

Basically I've spent hours online and figure BOSCH HQ have screwed up, they list a 501590010 for my 2001 4.6 North* BUT that is a thread 3/4-16 UNF, Removed was what I've worked out to be a AC Delco PF-58 (Which as you state is now a PF-61) both being a thread 13/16-16.

All I know is the removed filter thread hole is bigger than the new BOSCH one.

I've since found a new K&N HP2010 left over from my 2007 Police Dodge Charger Hemi, that looks like the right thread but filter housing is a short one, nightmare to remove later I'd think and what if it restricts oil flow!!!!.

So it seems I am normal after all and just need an AC Delco PF-61 or PF-61E Which at present is not proving easy, I have located a Baldwin B7010 which cross refs as correct.

Air filter I sorted as its the same as a UK Vauxhall/Opel model

Plugs I can get Denso PT16EPR-L13 (But not C13 although Denso swear these are better)

Although a while off, I'll be trying to find out what wheel stud patterns we share with normal UK cars, first I need to figure why we only get 13.4mpg average and the total best being only 26mpg at a sloooooow highway 55mph.

The average 13.4mpg is rural school runs, light throttle, 40-45mph speeds over 6 miles period daily, with only 4 stop-starts and 2 minutes per trip crawling

Guy on E-bay is advertising 40mpg!!!! lol!! which is crazy!!!.. but see this all the time, my F350 does 8-14mpg but I see sellers stating upto 25mpg lol!!

Guess this is a done to death thread so will not start another lol!!

Anyway, thanks again, here is a couple of pics of our STS

100_3102.jpg

100_3099.jpg

....Lucky it was dealer serviced by first owner for first 9 years and Bauer Millet have confirmed they have records to forward to me for costs of £60.00,...

Charging you for service records is a colossal rip-off. Send me your VIN in a private message and I will ask my dealer's service department if they can access the record file for your car. And if they can access the file, they will print the records gratis. And I would be happy to mail them to you OR convert them to image files and attach to an email.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

that is a beautiful Seville. I really like the color. Thanks for posting the pics

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I would not use a oil filter from another car, even if it fits.

Go to a local GM dealer (opel, vauxhaull.. whatever) and ask him for the AC Delco PF61 or 61E. These filters fit many cars and the chance is not bad that they have one in stock or can order one very fast. At least in Austria this is not a problem.

I'm not sure, maybe your Seville has the same color as mine.. I really like it, nice car!

If you search for better brakes, better sound or matching aftermarket rims I can give you some advise, because that's what I've done with my car :)

Hi people..

Well thanks for the info and assistance, we are all sorted now... I have a Corvette oil filter on now which as PF61 as a reference.

Car seems to rev more freely now and although its very quite it seems more so.. maybe its just me? don't know what oil was in but it now has 5W-30 Castrol Magnatec fully synth (Halfords were selling for £17.99 FOR 4 LITRES!!!)

Done brake fluid with DOT 4.. Used 2 litres as I really pumped it through... I do wonder why the UK version at least? has two brake fluid top up bottles.

Next job is the pink (5 year) anti-freeze 50/50 mix and I've got a bottle of Barrs Leak, after much time on the net I'm fed up of the "use it" "DON'T use it" and going to go with it, LAST THING I need to head or gasket issues.

Spark plugs next week then hope MPG will improve after all this..

JimD, Thanks for the History offer, I will send it over via PM but doubt it will show up over there, but hey worth a go... I was kinda taken back by the costs for duplicate history records, although they are going to supply a service history book and stamp it up

I also used DOT4 and don't have any problems with it. (cap says DOT3 I think)

Can you post a picture of the engine? I'd like to see the 2 brake fluid "bottles". I needed only 1 liter but I didn't pump it through.. I used a vacuum aspirator (don't know if that's the correct english word for this tool).

Use only the Dexcool fluid (red). You can also get it at a local vauxhall/opel dealer that sells GM parts.. Probably it's a white bottle with the red-pink fluid. No need to add anything else. You could clean the cooling system before adding the new fluid, no need to do more. If you want to prevent an overheating issue check the purge line if it isn't plugged (small hose on the left side of the expansion tank) and check the waterpump belt as it will not transfer the heat if it is beat up a little.

5w30 is a good oil, it's the one the manual tells you to use. If you drive it under very hard conditions you probably also can use something like 5w40, as it should provide a better lubrication on very high temperatures. At least I am sure that my engine likes the 10w40 I use now since 30.000 miles or more.

Glad you found the proper oil filter for your car.. that's another thing I like about american cars.. my 66 GTO uses the same filter as my 99 Seville does.. So i always have 3-4 filters in my storage that will fit any of my cars :)

....Done brake fluid with DOT 4.. Used 2 litres as I really pumped it through... I do wonder why the UK version at least? has two brake fluid top up bottles.

RH drive versions use a hydraulic system for power assisted brakes. There is not enough room at the RH side of the engine compartment for the conventional vacuum power brake booster.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks JimD good info to know, makes life harder no doubt if I need new parts though.

-Chris- I went with 4 as I had a sealed bottle already, but did check online, its seems the usual mixed bag, some do some don't etc etc.. the two do mix OK but as I said I did a full flush.. as brakes are not that great are they, my Heavy 99 F350 with swamp tyres stops better.. although no improvement and it has new pads all round, don't know what make but the back plates are bright red!!

as for anti-freeze already got it now, its 5 year stuff, but don't know what is in car now, so was gunna drop bottom hose, then reconnect, find thermostat, remove then take top hose off then run hose through until clear, then 50/50.. IS THIS OK TO DO??

Funny, rung GM/Vauxhall they had never heard of the supplement tablets (Barrs leak) right or wrong I'm going to add the Barrs Leak for self piece of mind (its the exact same as the tablets from US GM) I see no harm

Anyway as requested her is a UK spec 2001 engine bay, pretty clean I thought?

100_3367.jpg

100_3366.jpg

....as for anti-freeze already got it now, its 5 year stuff, but don't know what is in car now, so was gunna drop bottom hose, then reconnect, find thermostat, remove then take top hose off then run hose through until clear, then 50/50.. IS THIS OK TO DO??

No No. There is a drain spigot at the bottom of the LH radiator end tank. You will have to remove the bottom air close out panel to access the drain. Remove the pressure cap on the reservoir and catch as much of the used coolant as possible. And mop up as much of the spllage as possible; that coolant is potentially toxic to small creatures including curious young children.

I advise against flushing with clear water for the simple reason that there will be some unknown volume of water that will not drain from the system. You will lose control of the desired 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol/water.

And your VIN dropped off GM's radar the day it was loaded on the ship bound for wherever. My local dealer could not locate service records.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD thank you kind sir, yeah had a feeling regarding the history, but hell it was worth a try and I'm grateful for you taking the time out.

Also thanks for the advise on coolant job, still not done job as our weather sucks here in grey, depressing, wet UK, I've a friend who just moved back from Florida after 20 years, I've asked her if she has mental issues, I'd sell my Kidney to get out of here to over there lol!!

I was only flushing as I'm sure the 50/50 is likely out and I can not tell what coolant is in there, there is coolant but its 100% not red, but maybe I'll just do a drop and fill with red long life every 2 years

Archived