CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 STS "Service Charging System" "Battery not charging"

Snake57

One day I went to start my car and it just wouldn't turn on, and the battery light was on and it sounded like a dead battery so i got a new one since it was almost time anyways. Shortly after doing so the same thing kept happening so i thought it was fuel injector or some type of problem with the fuses so I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. This problem however doesn't happen every time i start the car, in cold weather it happened a lot so i assumed the engine just needed to get warmed up so i would start it in neutral with the e brake on so i could rev the engine and get it going. things seemed to be getting better as the weather got warmer but it still happens every once in a while but usually starts after a few tries. The engine only has about 70,000 miles on it, and today when I went to start it the same thing had happened however unlike before as the "service engine system" would pop on and off randomly, the message "service charging system" popped up and followed by "battery not charging". This is the first time this message has popped up and I'm hoping it will help me solve the problem. does anyone have any idea of what it might be?

Thanks in advance!

Pull the codes and post them here...

That will give a good starting point...

If it is saying "service charging system"and "battery not charging"... the first thing to do is check the wiring going to the alternator.

Make sure there are no loose wires.

If the wires are OK... it could be a bad alternator.

A bad alternator will turn on the "service charging system"and "battery not charging" lights.

Posted Image

We only got our 2001 STS 3-4 weeks ago, on way home we had high volt message, when I scrolled through to volts it was at 16.3V!!!! and no matter what I switched on it made no change, it went back to normal after 3-4 mins.

All was well for a few days, then same thing again, had battery tested and its 100% as new, to be honest it looks pretty new and AC Delco.

Then I started getting the battery light and low volts, down to 10.3V!!!! and slow starts

Anyway I'll get to the point of posting, So I checked battery connections under back seat to find wires loose to the battery clamps, my battery is top terminal? is that original? I ask as my Corvette was side terminals and pretty sure my Viper was too? seems someone has replaced or converted the battery terminal connections and did a bad job.

I wiggled and played with it all and since then had no issues and charge rate is always 14.1-14.9V, must sort it properly soon...

So along with other advise check that and the simple things, (grounds, loose connections) its the simple basic things that get forgotten and end up costing hours of labour or hair loss!!!

Archived