CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

It's been awhile, but I could use some help

It's been a few years since I have posted of this forum.

Today, my wife accidently ran over a large stone, actually a small boulder, with our 2004 DeVille DHS.

The stone punched a 2" x 3" hole in the oil pan.

The car was only driven another 200 feet before she turned off the engine.

I tried using the search feature on the forum, but it didn't get me pointed in the right direction.

What I'm hoping for is a posting that someone may have given describing the steps required to replace the oil pan.

I was also hoping to do this without having to pull the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

....I was also hoping to do this without having to pull the engine....

Not possible.

Labor intensive job. Maybe your insurance coverage will help??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

That insurance is a brillient thought. Never thought of it when I first read the post but thinking back about 20 years ago I had a oil pan punctured from a rock that fell off a dump truck. Just like a broken winshield. Yes State Farm covered it 100% of course it was not a $3000 job on my old Riviera.

This is something I would definately check out. Think they will send a adjuster out to look at it.

If it was my car I would think about paying the extra costs to the dealer to seal the Half case using the newest procedure at my expense if their is any question about the seal.

I agree with JimD, but I wonder if it would be possible to have an experienced welder heliarc an aluminum patch? Probably much cheaper and should do the job quite well I would think (if insurance does not cover it).

TIG welding upside down would require a very good welder. I'd be concerned about a patch leaking.

The pan can be replaced with the engine in the car but the catch is the transaxle needs to be removed. According to the service manuals, transaxle removal is easier than engine removal.

Replace the oil manifold plate while it is apart since the sealing surfaces will be disturbed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived