CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

oil vicosity in Florida

skyman

Moved from upstate NY to Fla. Just had my oil changed. I always bring my own oil and filter. I use Moble 1 5w/30 the weight GM calls for. The mechanic sugested that I switch to 10w/30 given the hot temps down here. Any opinions on this?

Sky

2005 Deville 4.6 northstar

Stick with the viscosity the GM powertrain engineers recommended. They really do know what they are doing.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I would not change the viscosity that you have been using.

The engine in your Cadillac is designed for that weight oil. Remember, once your engine is running and up to temperature, it dosen't know if it is in Florida or in the Finger Lakes!

The 5 weight aspect of your oil helps insure lubrication during the critical time following a cold start in any climate.

If you were North of the Artic Circle, I would think about a 0-20 weight.

I hope that you enjoy Florida.

Britt

Britt

GM spec'd it for 5W30. That said, I still use 10W30. In fact if you read your owners manual I believe it still says 10W30 is OK.

Either would be fine; I believe I would stick with the recommended (just because). In the heat of Florida (or anywhere, once the engine is 'up to temp'), the top number is more important.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Ditto. The first number is the cold viscosity and the second number is the hot viscosity. I've lived in Florida for 40 years and I use 5w-30.

OldFart

Archived