CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Backyard Northstar Repair

Craig's list: http://dallas.craigs...2993247363.html

Gotta admire someone who is addressing a market.

100_2873.jpg

Up for sale is a rebuilt Northstar engine. It has repaired head gaskets with new threads and bolts. It comes with a 6 month warranty unlimited mileage. For the 1800 you will get a rebuilt engine, install included. You can work out a payment plan with me but you will have to call me to make a plan. This engine will fit Cadillac DeVille, SeVille, and ElDorados from years 93-03. For a total of 1800 you will have a running car with everything filled up to specs(oil, antifreeze, etc...). I also replace intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, water pump, water pump housing gaskets, water pump gaskets, thermostat, exhaust header gaskets, and anything extra you supply before the install. I use to do only 93-99 engines but now I include the 00-03 engines for the same price. So if you have called me before and asked about 2000-2003 engines I have a better price for you. If you have any other questions feel free to call me or text me at (469) 774-2198.

-Bert

I AM NOT SPAM!!! MESSAGE ME OR CALL ME IF YOU THINK I AM SPAM!!!! I HAVE PLENTY OF REFERENCES!!!! I HAVE A VIN Y ENGINE AND A VIN 9 ENGINGE READY TO GO!!!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

as would I. wish you were in new york. would have saved alot of junked caddys. and money

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

A shop in mpls will timesert ur motor for 700. No r&r included. Think it includes case half sealing as well. Shops out there are doing all types of work. Just need to look around.

around here nobody really wants to touch them except the dealers. Cha ching. Sorry, being honest.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I like options, and I am glad to encourage repairs at all price points so people can choose one that meets their needs and keep their Cadillac on the road.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hi Gentlemen, I have a 2001 Northstar engine that is still in the factory crate, this was Cadillac warranty replacement 02/16/2001 for a 2001 Cadillac DTS. The engine has a total of 2, 781 miles on it, and is a "9", not a "Y". I am asking $1,100.00 FOB Denver for it. I purchased it just last week for this price to have installed in my 1999 Cadillac Seville STS. My mechanic tells me today that its exact except it wont line up by the oil pan? Anyway, if anyone has an engine that I can trade, swap (depending on your mileage and shape) or purchase, Lets talk. My email is barry.wilson@live.com. Thanks guys!!!

Hi Gentlemen, I have a 2001 Northstar engine that is still in the factory crate, this was Cadillac warranty replacement 02/16/2001 for a 2001 Cadillac DTS. The engine has a total of 2, 781 miles on it, and is a "9", not a "Y". I am asking $1,100.00 FOB Denver for it. I purchased it just last week for this price to have installed in my 1999 Cadillac Seville STS. My mechanic tells me today that its exact except it wont line up by the oil pan? Anyway, if anyone has an engine that I can trade, swap (depending on your mileage and shape) or purchase, Lets talk. My email is barry.wilson@live.com. Thanks guys!!!

The 2000+ Northstar will not work in a pre-2000 car as the crank sensors and the method that the PCM reads the sensors is totally dirfferent.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A shop in mpls will timesert ur motor for 700. No r&r included. Think it includes case half sealing as well. Shops out there are doing all types of work. Just need to look around.

I am selling an engine including shipping, not just the thread repair. It comes with every new gasket the engine has. I also include a new water pump and the rest of the gaskets for the engine swap. Whats r&r?

The 2000+ Northstar will not work in a pre-2000 car as the crank sensors and the method that the PCM reads the sensors is totally dirfferent.

Correct 2000+ engines will not work on 93-99

Thanks for the information 99bluehawk, khe and airmike. I wasnt aware of that when I purchased the DTS engine. Now in addition to finding the correct STS engine <99, I will also need to sell this one. Thanks so much anyway. Anyone know of someone who needs a 2001 DTS engine with 2173 miles on it? Cheap? Thanks again!!

R&r is remove and replace. Like getting motor out of car. So 700 is for an exchange or they will fix ur motor. I do not know what they charge with no core exchange. There are cases of cracked blocks or heads but that is rare. Seems almost all north star motors are good candidates for timeserting or studs. Yes there are some bad blocks with bad material around headbolt threads but it seems to be fairly uncommon. And worn cams/followers is also a potential problem. So fix ur motor if u can. U can buy a replacement motor but what if it is not exactly what u need? Now u have 2 motors.

• 1 month later...

Don't recall exact shop location. East burbs. Woodbury maybe. 700 is for work on motor. Not getting motor in/out of car. There is a guy in big lake that does it all for 1500 or so.

• 2 years later...

Than you very much. That is my post on craigslist. I never thought about posting it on here. If someone is interested they can send me a PM.

-Bert

Bert, are you still in the Northstar repair business? Have the prices changed much? Is there a year model "Y" motor that is less likely to develop an oil leak that will interchange with a 2002?

Are you able to do any performance upgrades?

I have just started looking into the possibility of using a 2006+ motor with the same year Computer since the aftermarket supports PC tuneability. I have not yet looked into wiring harness changeover or Transmission compatibility.

Maybe you already have some of those answers.

Thanks

-Cody

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=96

The 4T80E changed the TCC for a ECCC in 2004, which means that the PCM control changed, at least the part that controls the PWM for the torque converter lockup. There are probably lots of other small changes too. If you take the motor and PCM from a 2006+, take the transmission with it and you are guaranteed that the PCM and transmission are compatible.

Note that the car's main computer, the IPC or IPM, has all the car's options, serial numbers, VIN, and passwords for the other modules programmed into it. If you change the PCM, you may need to reprogram things with a Tech II, or just forget about emissions testing and street legal registration.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Than you very much. That is my post on craigslist. I never thought about posting it on here. If someone is interested they can send me a PM.

-Bert

Bert, are you still in the Northstar repair business? Have the prices changed much? Is there a year model "Y" motor that is less likely to develop an oil leak that will interchange with a 2002?

Are you able to do any performance upgrades?

I have just started looking into the possibility of using a 2006+ motor with the same year Computer since the aftermarket supports PC tuneability. I have not yet looked into wiring harness changeover or Transmission compatibility.

Maybe you already have some of those answers.

Thanks

-Cody

If you get the engine and transmission from a 2006 or newer... the transmission has it's own computer now.

It is located on the firewall, under the hood, right in front of the driver.

You must have that controller for the transmission to operate correctly.

Posted Image

The PCM that expects the transmission control to be in another module and talks to it over the network is going to be needed with the 2006 and later arrangement, too.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Putting a 2006 engine and transmission in a 2002 ar sounds like a disaster in the making. A TON of work to get it installed and then no guarantee that it will work. Even if the computers are changed, it is unlikely the wiring harness is plug and play... Nothing about that project will be plug and play...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Putting a 2006 engine and transmission in a 2002 ar sounds like a disaster in the making. A TON of work to get it installed and then no guarantee that it will work. Even if the computers are changed, it is unlikely the wiring harness is plug and play... Nothing about that project will be plug and play...

Thanks for the warning... However, a TON of wiring and bolting and drilling is doable for me; I installed a 1972 model 472 onto the stock transmission in my 82 Eldorado, adapted the TV cable for shifting, installed all of the HT4100's sensors, made an adaptor plate for the TBI injection, swapped in a bigger throttle body after mounting the stock idle control motor, swapped in the stock guts of the distributor into one from a 368, and ran the stock computer with no check engine light. I also converted it to a cable console floor shifter that sat between Mercury bucket seats that were mounted on the stock 6 way power tracks. It rolled on 16X8 F-body wheels. I installed the touring coupe suspension and 70 Chevelle station wagon rear springs, lowered it and adjusted the air leveler for a slight forward rake.... And I did it under a shade tree with no air tools.... What I can't do, is weld or solve complex electronic incompatibility issues. But if the entire power train (engine, tranny, computers, controllers, etc.) Could be transplanted from, say, a 2006+ DTS in full -without welding anything - and bolted into the 02 car in such a way that the computers thought it was still in the DTS, then the only issue would be the body control computer if there's any requirement for digital communication between them.

What I do NOT want to do, is sink $3,000 into the stock engine rebuilding it and slapping on a turbo, only to get another oil leaker in six or seven months. I hate the smell of it on the crossover pipe and having to add a quart every 500 miles.

If I am going to have to sink money into the engine bay, I want to get a motor that won't bleed on hot exhaust pipes.

Three different repair shops told me that as long as I have a Northstar built prior to 2004, it would only be a temporary fix to pay the $2,000 repair bill to split the block and fix the leak.

Is there now a permanent fix for the leak prone seals? If so, then rebuilding my engine with head studs and installing a 100 horsepower turbo would be my cheapest and easiest option to get the car to the next level. I want this engine to work out and head studs could make that happen IF and only IF I get rid of the oil leak permanently.

Click here to visit the main directory for my subforum about my 2002 Eldorado build for autocross racing:

How are you going to fit a turbo in that engine compartment and or near it. Inserts, norms or stud will all work fine, its just how the inserts are installed. Without spending thousands of dollars and not having air tools and a welder there is no way for you to install a 06' powertrain in your car and or why try when your powertrain works fine! Chrfab.com has upgrades to the northstar and but don't quote me I think they reflash PCM's. I installed a set of valvesprings from chrfab for a customer years ago from them and they were beefy!

So, install studs, Norms, or inserts, reseal the bottom end, check into Chrfab for upgrades and a pcm upgrade. It's a breeze I have done a thousand repairs, I am sure we can help you here.

How are you going to fit a turbo in that engine compartment and or near it. Inserts, norms or stud will all work fine, its just how the inserts are installed. Without spending thousands of dollars and not having air tools and a welder there is no way for you to install a 06' powertrain in your car and or why try when your powertrain works fine! Chrfab.com has upgrades to the northstar and but don't quote me I think they reflash PCM's. I installed a set of valvesprings from chrfab for a customer years ago from them and they were beefy!

So, install studs, Norms, or inserts, reseal the bottom end, check into Chrfab for upgrades and a pcm upgrade. It's a breeze I have done a thousand repairs, I am sure we can help you here.

I have not yet mapped out the installation of the turbo yet, but here's one option ;

Cadillac STS Turbo - 650 HP - QuickRev.com:

I would prefer going over the core support under a cowl scoop.

Anyway, I will look into those inserts.

Thanks.

Archived