CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

O2 Sensor replacement

I have a 2001 DTS that was purchased new and has been a great car. Has always been well cared for. Cooling system along with plugs were recently replaced in addition to ALL filters.This is not first time for filters or cooling service. (Tabs added to cooling system)

While no codes were set recently was thinking about replacing both O2 Sensors as part of regular service in hopes of improving mileage. The car just plssed 71,000. Plans are to keep car indefinately OR until head gaskets fail.

Thanks for thoughts!

It wouldn't hurt anything to replace them... but I see no point in it.

If the sensors were operating out of specifications... they would set codes...

If they are operating "IN" specifications... I don't see what new ones would accomplish...

Posted Image

If it has four 02 sensors just replace the fronts and forget the rears as they are just there to let one know if the converter goes south - if it does you won't need a sensor to let you know. I had my rears programmed OFF.

Ther used to be 4. Pretty sure the '01 only has 3, but I agree with Jim. I think changing them would be a waste of time and money.

I think I remember mine having 3. one on the rear bank at top of manifold under heatberbox, one on front bank near radiator, and one on downpipe under car. newer likely have 4 deu to tighter emission standards

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

In years past, it was practical to replace the O2 sensor. They were fairly cheap and most vehicles had only one sensor.

With OBDII...it can be expensive maintence with heated O2 sensors running about $100 each and 3 or 4 per vehicle.

That said....had a recent bad O2 sensor on a Saturn. SES lamp was on for a low warm up cat code.....but no O2 sensor codes at all. Tried moving the O2 sensor to the other bank....cat code problem moved to the other bank.

In this case, a new O2 sensor fixed the low cat code. About $50 (on sale or clearance....1/2 the price of anyone in town) for a Delphi one shipped to my door from Rock Auto.

My 89 Riviera I just pop one for about $50.00 ever 70K or so and appeared to run better and increase mileage. On my 01 DTS think I will leave well enough alone. Thanks for the eucation on a more modern car.

Fwiw, I recently replaced one of the upstream O2 sensors (right bank near firewall) due to a code and there was no improvement in gas milage or performance that I could see. I agree with the others, replace them when they are bad.

BTW, there is only three on my 2003 DTS, 2 upstream and 1 downstream.

OldFart

Archived