CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service Theft Deterrent System

Anyone with any thoughts on this? 2008 DTS. Just started this afternoon. Still starts and drives fine. The error comes on every time that I start it now.

Service_Theft.jpg

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

If you haven't already did it... the first thing I would do is open and close each door on the car two or three times... just in case something isn't making good contact.

Then lock and unlock it a few times... with the drivers window down... just in case it decides it don't want to unlock.

If you have Onstar active... you can call them and they can give you the codes that are set.

Then you can look up the code to see where the problem is emanating from.

Posted Image

Ok, opened and closed doors. Error still appears. I hit up Onstar and they performed an On Demand Diagnostics and said that there are no errors reported. I am lost on this one...

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I have googled and come up with nothing in regards to this issue. Can the theft deterrent system be bypassed to get the message off of my DIC or does that tend to piss off insurance companies?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Ok, opened and closed doors. Error still appears. I hit up Onstar and they performed an On Demand Diagnostics and said that there are no errors reported. I am lost on this one...

Since Onstar "SAYS" there are no codes...

The next thing I would do... before taking it to the dealer...is take "BOTH" battery cables off, then touch them together for a few seconds to drain all capacitors in the system, then hook the battery cables back up and see what I have now.

This should cause a general system reboot when the cables are re-connected and the ignition is turned on.

Also as JimD says... try your other key... it may be a key going bad.

Posted Image

Yes, I tried the wife's key with the same results.

Ok, tonight I pulled the battery cables, shorted them together to discharge the caps, and let it sit for an hour. So far so good. No error.

If I were to wager a bet, I would guess that the Autopage remote start with ADS datalink pissed it off. Well, hopefully this does not continue.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

....the Autopage remote start....

That would have been good information to include in your first post.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....the Autopage remote start....

That would have been good information to include in your first post.

Agreed...

A lot of the Cadillacs don't like aftermarket electronics... :)

Posted Image

Well, I had previously had issues with the remote start and had worked with the installer to try to correct the issue. It had been explained to me that the ADS module that he installed merely sent data signals on the data bus to tell the car to disregard no transponder condition and to start regardless. It seemed to intermittantly work and when the car failed to start, it displayed the "Service Theft Deterrent System" message until I hit the break to stop the Autopage remote start sequence and then start it with the key. Then the error was no longer present. I had assumed that what he said was correct (in regards to the simplisity of the communication).

When this started the other day, I noticed the error while I was driving down the road. It came on every time that I started the car with the key. I tried to discount the remote start as being a culprit as the symptoms were different. Shame on me I guess.

To add to this, I decided to hit the remote start today and of course, no start and the error returned immediatly so I guess that I know where the problem lies.

Also, when they installed the Autopage, the factory remote start quit working. If I press the lock button on the OEM fob, the lights will flash and will flash again when I hit the top (start) button...but no start... Anyone with any ideas on how I can restore factory function?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

My uneducated guess would be to remove the AutoPage unit...or have the installer fix the problem.

Obviously it is doing much more than what they told you it is doing.

We have seen this type of thing happen often, on the previous generation... 2005 and older.

Yours is the first aftermarket remote I remember seeing on the new generation DTS.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I retested the AP remote start the next day and the message came back. I have just lived with it. I decided to mess with it last night and found that I can reset the STDS message via battery disconnection but the AP arming and disarming will retrigger the message within a few arm and disarm cycles(without even touching the remote start). I first tried with the iDataLink module removed and now have the AP module pulled as well. No messages and the car seems to be happy.

I need suggestions. This is what I want. A long distance 2way remote system that confirms arm, disarm, car started, and intrusion attempts. Something that is 2008 DTS friendly. Does anyone have any ideas?

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

If you have OnStar... have you looked into the APP they have for your smartphone?

You can do a lot of stuff with the app.

It does not work on my 2006... but it may work on your 2008.

I don't remember the cutoff date for model year.

Posted Image

If you have OnStar... have you looked into the APP they have for your smartphone?

You can do a lot of stuff with the app.

It does not work on my 2006... but it may work on your 2008.

I don't remember the cutoff date for model year.

Yes I have OnStar and I have looked into the app. I believe that it was for 2010 and newer if I recall.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

my experience with higher end cars with aftermarket alarms and remote starters makesme stay away. They just dont like more electronics, they seem to interfere with the oem setup. Especially the bypass module.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

• 4 years later...

Steve M. in MD would like to jump in to this Post to seek further advice, regarding 2000 DeVille, 20K on new engine, 120K on odometer.

Last week I was blessed with the "Check Security System" msg on our  2000 DeVille.  A few days later, the "Check Theft System" msg. appeared.  

NOTE: The "Check Engine Soon" msg has been present on this car for over two years!  Replacing the Crank Case Position Sensor(s), (CPS) twice, cleaning and checking connections  has failed to resolve the Check Engine Soon CPS Code issue. Both Coils and  suspect #4 spark plug and boot failed to correct problem also.  Numerous suggestions from The List didn't produce a solution to the Check Engine msg and I've now learned to live with that msg staring me in the face.

Yesterday I cleared all codes.  Only the Check Engine Soon and the Check Theft  System messages reappeared after driving the car for  10-20 mile/minutes.  Problem persists regardless of using #1 or #2 ignition key!

Physical limitations require that I will need son's help later today to disconnect (R&R) battery cables as has been suggested. 

Regarding the "Theft' warning msg, do I have to be concerned about wife getting stranded with this car?  

Appreciate any suggestions offered.

• 2 weeks later...

More then likely it your  data link by pass they have very good reputation more then like installer error. I'm not a expert but I know a guy who is Lessco Electronic his name is Martin he deals with alarms bunches of you tube stuff. He's from New York Area now lives in Florida he can help you

Archived