CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1980 coupe deville

los 49ers

Good evening all... Keep question for you experts.

I just bought a 1980 Cadillac De ville that was sitting 2 1/2 years. Owner said it ran fine before storing it in his fathers shop. He replaced the starter, battery, rotor cap and ignition coil. I just dropped the tank to remove about 1/4 of bad gas. I replace the fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, and the fuel pump. That being said, The fuel pump... I unbolted, removed it replaced the gasket and installed the new pump. Now I've read where there's a rod or plunger that has to be aligned with the pump and if not...mechanical failure! Before replacing pump, I used a screw drive to feel around for such rod/plunger but didn't feel anything so I bolted it on. I want to know if this is okay before I try to fire her up. It has the 368 6.0 V8 engine

Thanks

You may have got very lucky...

The rod is about as big around as your little finger...

One end is against the eccentric on the camshaft and the other end rests against the arm of the fuel pump that goes inside the engine.

Sometimes when you pull the pump, if the rod is at the UP position, it will kinda stick there and not fall down and be in the way.

It is usually pretty difficult to install the fuel pump if the rod has fallen down and is in the way.

Posted Image

doesnt need to be "aligned" really. Just needs to push on the lever on the pump. Like jim said if it was up in there at the time then you didnt have to sit it on the lever then push the pump on to the mounting surface while bolting it on. Might be a little gummed up in there though, i know small block chevys they will slide out and on the floor easy. Also on small blocks theres a bolt you can take off on the front of the motor and use a screwdriver in the hole to hold the rod in there while you put the pump on.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Yes, it's a mechanical pump. I'm afraid of firing it up and causing internal damage if that's possible??? But I did have to kinda push the pump upward and hold it there while starting the top bolt. I'll start it today and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Alright, here's where I'm at...

Car fired up great but it wouldn't stay on. Used starting fluid first, didn't start, and after waiting a few minutes, I dropped a jigger of gas in the carb. Would fire up strong but as soon as I released the key, it would shut off. My neighbor thinks its the ignition switch because it was running while I held the key forward, start position, and would die as soon as I released it. So what do you guys think about this? Your assistance/advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Caddymac

Archived