CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Catch can video

Interesting video by Moroso to show operation of a catch can.

A catch can is placed in the flow of the PCV back to the intake and 'catches' or filters out oil from the flow.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9klkDCItEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This might also make it obvious where some oil is going in cases of high oil use?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

• 4 weeks later...

When my vettes were tuned we always ported out the flashings in the intake manifold and were amazed at the oil in the intake ports of the cylinder heads. This oil came into the system via the PCV system and oil in the combustion chamber is not good. What I did with an LS2 and an LS3 was to eliminate the PCV system, yeah - a no-no, and replaced the oil filler cap with a K&N breather and had NO problems in over 60K with the two cars. I cleaned the K&N with each oil change and popped it back on. There was NO oil film on the engine etc. I don't see why this won't work on a normally aspirated unit.

I have not done this to the STS-V because I have no idea if there is a significant difference in crankcase pressure. If there is, I don't want to mess anything up but if there isn't I would gladly ditch the PCV system for the "old reliable" breather cap.

I would think the difference can't be that great but really have no way to know at present. I do know that no oil in the combustion chamber avoids a lot of potential for problems.

As to there being a lot of oil in the film - we use an Aerospace vacuum pump on the drag car and after driving to the pits, making a pass and driving back to the trailer, total distance is less than a mile, we get about 6 oz. of WATER from the catch can and about a few drops of oil. This is water and not oil. We know this from collecting the seemingly dirty water and letting it sit. The few drops of oil and the water separate and it is immediately evident that there is almost NO oil in the catch can.

Hope this helps a bit.

Archived