CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

new here but have read alot of helpfull info from you guys, thank you! my girlfriend wrecked my 98 seville this winter,pics soon as i figure out how, so i found a 2000 in mich. with possible head gasket failure. should have come here before i bought it lol. debating on taking motor out of 98 and swaping with the 00. how much of a job is it and can i possibly pull them or do i have to drop them from a lift?

Welcome to caddyinfo.

very sorry to hear your 98 got wrecked but at least your GF was ok. caddys are tanks.

I dont think the 98 engine will swap into the 2000. there was quite a few changes in year 2000.

typically best swap is 1996-1999. and 2000-2003??? not 100% sure on that.

Remember to do all tests before you are certain it has HG failure. What has you thinking it has HG failure?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Welcome to caddyinfo.

very sorry to hear your 98 got wrecked but at least your GF was ok. caddys are tanks.

I dont think the 98 engine will swap into the 2000. there was quite a few changes in year 2000.

typically best swap is 1996-1999. and 2000-2003??? not 100% sure on that.

Remember to do all tests before you are certain it has HG failure. What has you thinking it has HG failure?

checked everything even bypassed the heatercore, plugged the purge line and resevoire return, ran till temp guage was at about two oclock and could hear slight air leak from rear head gasket area by the firewall. used a different block sealer pulled the plug in that cylinder ran as per instuctions, put back together to no avail! the head gasket is superheating the coolant somehow without causing any exaust fumes to enter the coolant. this is why i think the heatercore only works half the time and after it is up to temp the purge line throws nothing but steam instead of water. giving up! how much do you think someone would give me for the pair? or should i strip what i need off the 00 and put on 98 still about a 2500 fix. either way and dont really have the $ to do it.

is there a certain number on the engines that have these head gasket probs? or from a certain plant they were made? i know its a crapshoot with any newer vehicle as far as head gasket probs but i would like to buy anouther one if i knew it would be not likley to have this prob. what is the pecentage rate on the number of nstars with this prob? is it a mileage thing? im addicted to them now and dont see myself not owning one for as long as im driving lol

The head gasket problem was eliminated on the 2004 and newer ones... by using a longer bolt with a coarse thread pitch.

I love my NorthStar...

It has a little over 112, 000 miles on it...

Posted Image

honestly Almost every one I have seen has failed rigt around 100000miles.

But my 96 deville at 196000 miles is still going stronng. Original

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

have you guys heard anything good/bad about reman engines from say autozone? thinking about dropping in new motor and switching complete interior from my 98 into the 00 the 98 had more of an sts interior. the 00 doesnt have the bose system, heated seats, telescoping columb and memory seats but it does have the moon roof.

have you guys heard anything good/bad about reman engines from say autozone? thinking about dropping in new motor and switching complete interior from my 98 into the 00 the 98 had more of an sts interior. the 00 doesnt have the bose system, heated seats, telescoping columb and memory seats but it does have the moon roof.

If I was thinking of a remanufactured engine... "JASPER ENGINES" would be my first choice...

Posted Image

is there a certain number on the engines that have these head gasket probs? or from a certain plant they were made?

No. The problem is not related to any one plant or VIN series.

have you guys heard anything good/bad about reman engines from say autozone?

The LAST thing I would ever buy from AZ is an engine (if they even sell them).

• 5 years later...

I have a 2000 sts with vin 9, the auto parts tell me that 1998 thru 2004 can be swapped for vin 9 but not vin y.  I found a 1998 but before I go through all that trouble i would like to know for sure from someone that knows if i can replace the 2000 vin 9 northstar with the 1998 vin 9. Please if you know that would be a big help... thanks

:welcomesmiley:

The basic engine is the same. The ignition system is different so the valve covers would need to be swapped and the EGR and coolant crossover.

Wait for @barczy01 to chime in, he does this stuff for a living.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Archived