CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac XTS, ATS to get R-1234yf

Bruce Nunnally

the 2013 Cadillac XTS large luxury sedan will become the first U.S. vehicle to use a new refrigerant for its air-conditioning system with a lower carbon-dioxide impact.

The new substance is known as R-1234yf, and it replaces today's standard refrigerant, known as R-134a.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/2013-cadillac-xts-first-to-use-greener-r-1234yf-refrigerant-2012-3

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

A lot of money was spent for this (development/distribution/manufacture), which in my opinion, is of minimal benefit. The article claims some reduction of CO2, but with ICE's spewing CO2 (in tons/year), how can a closed system (A/C, for the most part) do anything to alleviate CO2 levels. A drop in the bucket would be generous (in it's description), maybe a grain of sand on a beach would be a better analogy. The new refrigerant cost (currently) is 70 dollars per pound, is slightly flammable, requires special equipment to install/reclaim and is only being produce (in bulk) in one Chinese factory (currently). Too many 'red flags' for me.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived