CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1983 cadillac eldorado ht4100 v8 250hp starting issues

raiderromo37

i have a 1983 cadillac eldorado with the 4.1 v8 250hp motor. car was running fine. one day it decided not to shut off. i have replaced alot of parts on this car.

new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, all part inside of distributor, map sensor, temp sensor, air temp sensor, air filter, fuel pump, fuel filter, rebult the injectors inside the throttle body carb. i seem like i am not getting enough fuel. checked all vaccum hoses and replaced bad ones, replace tps sensor. if i spray starting fluid inside carb. it will start right up, and i have to either pump at the accelerator to keep car on or continue to spray startiing fluid to keep car on. has anyone seen this problem before ????

check the exhaust, and it is not plugged up. i looked inside the fuel injected carb. and i see gas, but not sure if its enough... plugs are not wet so i am not flooding, but when i try to accerate, it seem like the car boggs down and wants to shut off. any suggestions??? i tried to check codes it gave me code 27 and 35 which are codes for the tps which i replaced right after, and code for the barometric sensor....they were showing that they had an open circuit. i will try to replace the barometric sensor, looks like the map sensor i replace. i have read that some suggest maybe bad ECM computer... any thoughts. any and all help will be appreciated..

thanks Raul

This looks to me like a classic case of fuel pump failure. You have some ability to obtain diagnostic codes from your car; you are apparently doing OK with that and I would replace the barometric sensor.

People with more experience with the 1983 model year will chip in with better help.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Stop throwing parts at it. There is a vacuum line that connects under the throttle body assembly on the HT-4100. It is a hard plastic line with a rubber piece of hose that connects it to the underside of the throttle body. Over time, the rubber hose rots and a large vacuum leak develops. That may be the source of the problem in your car.

How are you getting 250 HP out of a HT-4100???? That engine was more like 140 HP from the factory.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

How are you getting 250 HP out of a HT-4100???? That engine was more like 140 HP from the factory.

I was thinking the same thing that is was not 250 hp, but didnt want to do the research to confirm it,

Not to offend anyone but I fart more horsepower than that :lol: These were the years that I was disappointed with GM. Even their 8.2 liter 500 ci engine in 1975 was low powered, at 210 horsepower, that to me is why the 279 cu in Northstar putting out 300 horsepower is impressive, when the 75 500 cu in put out 210 horsepower and doing it much more efficiently.

There was a change from 74 to 75 as to how they measured the horsepower I believe because the 74 put out 365, can someone explain what the change was? At the rear wheels with accessories on?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The change that occurred regarding published HP and torque ratings took place in 1971 for GM. Ford and Chrysler followed in 1972/1973 I believe. GM quoted gross figures through 1970. Beginning with the 1971 model year, both gross and net figures were published. For 1972 onward, only net figures were published. The net figures accounted for the rating with engine accessories and a full exhaust system installed. The Cadillac 500 cubic inch motor was rated at 400 HP and 550 Ft Lbs torque (Gross) for 1970 model year. The 1971 rating was 365 gross HP (245 net rating) if I'm not mistaken. Can't recall the torque figures. The lower gross HP rating for 1971 (365 vs 400) was due to a lower compression ratio required to run on low lead fuel. As the compression ratio continued to drop throughout the 1970's, the figures continued to drop. I think the standard HP rating for the Cadillac 500 for 1975 and 1976 was 190. The 210 HP figure quoted above was for the optional fuel injected version of the 500.

The carbed 500 cu-in engine in 75 & 76 was 190HP. It still had a massive amount of torque. People buy HP but they drive torque.

What many forget is the only way the engines of mid/late 1970s could meet the federal emission standards was to choke them off - smog cams, etc. The HP numbers started rising when the designers could figure out how to meet the emission standards without sacrificing performance.

We're about to go through the same thing in the near future when the ridiculously high economy ratings take effect. Look for anemic engines that won't have any power.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

1983 4100

Brake horsepower 135 at 4400 R.P.M.

Torque 200 lbs.-ft. at 2200 R.P.M.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

You might also want to check the fuel pressure. I think it only needs about 15 psi, but as old as it is the pump may have taken a dive.

1983 4100

How pathetic, and I owned 2 of them.

You might also want to check the fuel pressure. I think it only needs about 15 psi, but as old as it is the pump may have taken a dive.

1983 4100

How pathetic, and I owned 2 of them.

yep 15psi

135hp but with 3.42 gears in the back(my deville) and the higher torque numbers that thing moved decently. Still my sbc moves it much better :D And to think, those years your option was the diesel 350, a whopping 105 hp!

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

The change that occurred regarding published HP and torque ratings took place in 1971 for GM. Ford and Chrysler followed in 1972/1973 I believe. GM quoted gross figures through 1970. Beginning with the 1971 model year, both gross and net figures were published. For 1972 onward, only net figures were published. The net figures accounted for the rating with engine accessories and a full exhaust system installed. The Cadillac 500 cubic inch motor was rated at 400 HP and 550 Ft Lbs torque (Gross) for 1970 model year. The 1971 rating was 365 gross HP (245 net rating) if I'm not mistaken. Can't recall the torque figures. The lower gross HP rating for 1971 (365 vs 400) was due to a lower compression ratio required to run on low lead fuel. As the compression ratio continued to drop throughout the 1970's, the figures continued to drop. I think the standard HP rating for the Cadillac 500 for 1975 and 1976 was 190. The 210 HP figure quoted above was for the optional fuel injected version of the 500.

And the fuel injection was controlled by an analogue computer (not digital like they ones we have now).

If you like RWD cars, you still can find nice 1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwoods. They come with 5.7 liter Chevy engines which are much easier to work at compared to FWD powertrain.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived