CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

-97 sts vaacum hose

Caddymange

Hi

I have some unconnected vaacum hoses.

Heres one pic as an oversight

And then a pic of a part with a seal from a screw.

And last a hose that comes from harness and just unattached. Anyone that have a -97 sts that has an urge to take a look? maybe take a pic as well?

Thank you

EDIT: I posted pics in new threads, cause I wasnt allowed to post more than one pic in each post. Sorry

post-16560-132440714344_thumb.jpg

First you should run the OBD codes and post them here. If the disconnected vacuum line affects anything it will throw a code and that will tell us what is affected. My first guess would be the cruise control but that is just a wild guess.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I can't tell much from the photos. There is a purge solenoid with a rubber elbow on the rear cam cover. Is that what you are referring to? It is not the cruise control - that is controlled by a stepper motor on these cars.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I was looking at the loose small vacuum hose coming out of a connector.

I'm not too happy with the missing cover of the Maxifuse/Relay block and fuse center. It's needed to keep water out of the electrical elements. I hope it was removed for the photos and is there for any driving.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I'm not too happy with the missing cover of the Maxifuse/Relay block and fuse center. It's needed to keep water out of the electrical elements. I hope it was removed for the photos and is there for any driving.

Yea, I removed cover for the photos. I have no codes, exept for sometimes, very occationally. But those times they go away by themselves. So what does the purge solenoid do then? Sounds like the elbow should not be plugged then? How does it look on your -97? Do you the small hose in that harness?

Yea, I removed cover for the photos. I have no codes, exept for sometimes, very occationally. But those times they go away by themselves. So what does the purge solenoid do then? Sounds like the elbow should not be plugged then? How does it look on your -97? Do you the small hose in that harness?

The purge solenoid removes the vapors from the charcoal cannister filter. I believe there should not be anything connected to the elbow.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

From the picture and the '98 service manual...it appears to be harness connector C101. I don't have a '97 book.

My car is a 2001 so it's useless for checking.

I think what he is asking...is for someone with a 1997...go pop the hood open...and look at that connector. Does it have a similar hose? Is it connected to anything?

I can think of a couple of 1997 owners right now.

It may just be there to stiffen up the harness.

From the picture and the '98 service manual...it appears to be harness connector C101. I don't have a '97 book.

My car is a 2001 so it's useless for checking.

I think what he is asking...is for someone with a 1997...go pop the hood open...and look at that connector. Does it have a similar hose? Is it connected to anything?

I can think of a couple of 1997 owners right now.

It may just be there to stiffen up the harness.

Ok. No from -98 an up things look different. I have a friend with a -98. I should not need no stiffing up, the harness is one inch thick :) But you have a point there.

As for the elbow, I do believe I will remove the bolt.

I'm not going to get to it today. I need the car too many times and things are too hectic to add another task. I'll post if that changes. I don't recall that connector at all; I'll have to look for it with the big cover off.

There is a hose on the purge solenoid elbow.. It goes under the beauty cover and thence somewhere. I believe it goes to the throttle body It's possible that it goes to the hose you found on the connector, though. I'll look at it farther tonight.

"Ok. No from -98 an up things look different. I have a friend with a -98."

The 1998 Seville/STS changed. The 1998 Eldorado did not. The 1998-2001 Eldorado is very close to if not the same as a 1996-1997 STS.

My hard drive based GM service manual goes back to 1998. So I was looking up a 1998 Eldorado.

The connector is C101. It's a 23 way plug. It is #13 in the attached image.

post-2-132458258146_thumb.jpg

Oh thank you guys! Now were getting somewere. The thing is, I have the shop manual. But I cant find anything in this darn thing. I also have a shop manual for my -94 trans am, and that manual is a lot better structured. Im gonna read more here in the books and see if I can get something out.

But very intersting info here. Looks like there is something to it.

I had another post yesterday that got lost, apparently. The elbow off the purge solenoid *does* have a hose. It goes under the beauty cover. It probably goes to the throttle body.

The EVAP solenoid, when open, passes gasoline fumes from the canister in the rear of the car to the throttle body and the fuel injection leans a little to compensate for the extra gas, according to the oxygen sensors, to keep the mixture at 14.5:1. It does this only on steady cruise at 45 mph or above. If the hose is disconnected, there is no vacuum so the fume leak probably isn't a fire hazard, but if it were my car I would get the hose connected ASAP.

It's possible that the missing hose is the one that goes back to the EVAP canister, not to the throttle body. If so, the hose on the wiring harness might be the other end of the break. I'll take some time today to look at my car and my shop manual to see what I can figure out. If someone with a better place to work gets to it first I won't be offended.

In the 1997 FSM page 6-826, there is a diagram and narrative of the operation of the EVAP solenoid and valve assembly. There are two "vacuum" lines on the solenoid-valve assembly, one to the throttle body and one to the EVAP canister. From the drawing it's not at all clear which is which. They both are routed to the rear of the engine (to the left of the car, looking from the rear). It appears that the one to the throttle body is above the one to the EVAP solenoid.

It may be that some misguided soul thought that he was disconnecting pollution gear in an attempt to improve gas mileage by cutting hoses. I would look all over the car, particularly at the EGR, to make sure that everything is working.

I'll get to the connector later today if events allow.

Thanks alot! Now I know were too look. I can see from the diagram, that its not at all clear how or what line is going where. But for now I can take a look and find out if its connected to TB or not. If it is, the loose end must go to the canister.

I checked my '97 Seville and did not see a vacuum hose like the one you are trying to identify. Where does the other end of the hose in question lead? That may provide a clue to its function.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just browsed this entire thread and I have two comments.

• The vacuum hose taped to the wires on C101 probably has nothing functionally to do with C101. The connector was just a convenient place to secure the hose.
  • We still do not have a set of OBD codes. I believe that we had a remark once that there were none, but a fresh check after driving or even just starting and running the car, with the codes taken from the A/C buttons and the DIC and not from a code reader may tell a new tale. Just one good code could solve our mystery.

I just browsed this entire thread and I have two comments.

• The vacuum hose taped to the wires on C101 probably has nothing functionally to do with C101. The connector was just a convenient place to secure the hose.
  • We still do not have a set of OBD codes. I believe that we had a remark once that there were none, but a fresh check after driving or even just starting and running the car, with the codes taken from the A/C buttons and the DIC and not from a code reader may tell a new tale. Just one good code could solve our mystery.

Ok im gonna draw the codes tomorrow. Can maybe have to do with my car was originally imported to belgum by general agent. It was made for europe. So it may be little different to us sold cars? I mean the hose could have different routs on your cars? Just a thought

Some of the codes are different. We still need them, and can use them.

Archived