CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cadillac clear coat versus other

Hello,

My '92 Raven Black Eldorado always has water marks after washing.

This is a specific question pivoting on the employed 'lazy' wash method.

Using the same wash method and materials, my other car, an '89 Merc. 300SE ,Black, never has water stains.

I live in San Francisco so the tap water is good with no minerals.

I use Turtle wax car wash/wax and a lambwool mit.

Wash the 'cool' car in sections and rinse then move on to other section and afterward park back inside out of sun so it dries cool.

I don't towel dry etc.

That is the method. I know there are better ways to wash etc. but the point is that the Caddy always stains with water marks and the Benz does not.

Is this due to the difference in clear coat material?

Both cars paint is about the same. Both garaged during life and paint in very good condition. Clear coats seem fine.

(actually yesterday I sort of towel dried it and still got water spots)

So the question is primarily directed toward the clear coat difference if any.

Thanks for your opinions and facts.

(I wash my other white Merc. the same and get no water marks, but that is a white car.)

All tap water has minerals in it and will (should) water spot (to some extent) if air dried. Clear coat should have no effect on it. Why one does and the other does not is a mystery to me.

The white car would barely show it if it did.

Hi Ranger, good points.

Still its a mystery why one black car spots and the other doesn't.

Anybody else have experiences with black cars?

Never had one for that very reason. I remember my grandparents complaining that they love the classy black paint on cars, but they get "dirty" too quick.

Hi Ranger, good points.

Never had one for that very reason. I remember my grandparents complaining that they love the classy black paint on cars, but they get "dirty" too quick.

I have three of them and they do get dirty and show it, but its worth the work if you have a garage to keep em in. They even get dirty in the garage just sitting sooner or later. What amazes me is that the dust wont blow off on the hiway (no matter how fast you fly), you gotta wash it. I keep getting black cars though. I don't know about the spotting differences either. I have two with factory paint and one with PPG done at home and they are different when cleaning, but I always towel dry them so cant say about the spots. I have tried the no-spot rinse at the car wash a couple times and one time was thrilled with the results, then not so much the other couple times, so I have stopped with that.

Yeah it is true how the dust won't blow off.

Wierd still about the water stains.

Actually my 1992 Eldo is Sable black not raven black.

Dang maybe next Spring I can get some help to detail it by first clay removal of fine debri etc. and try to start from scratch.... but my other black car has never had such detail attention...

wierd..

Hi Ranger, good points.

Its a paint technology problem, high solids vs medium solids, black paint will heat up quicker but it all relates to the technology, go out and have the clear coat redone with a european clear coat like Spies Hecker or similar and you wont have a problem anymore, High solids Technology GM Paint expert

• 2 months later...

I know I'm coming in a little late on this thread, but being new I've been browsing everywhere to gain as much info as I can on the wonderful Caddy I have recently acquired!

Regarding dust on black cars, I've owned many black cars and my Caddy is black too, so I know about the dust that doesn't come off. However you don't have to wash it all the time!

There is something called a California Duster that we use often on all our cars to keep them clean between washings. And, the dirtier it is the better it works, crazy but true! It never scratches and takes all the dust off very quickly. LOVE IT! http://www.amazon.com/California-Car-Duster-62443/dp/B0009VIQ1A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329699769&sr=8-2

Hello 93Sevillegirl, hope you got your thermostat issue squared away.

I do own one of those dusters. They are good to have for removing dust and pollen !

I recently detailed my car with claying, 3M rubbing compound applied with an orbital , followed by 3M polish/swirl remover applied with orbital and finally sealed with NuFinish.

Did it over a 2 day period.

Looks great except the clean shiny mirror surface now shows all the flaws !! Can't get away from that w/o a new paint job... no biggie. Satisfied 'as-is'.

Cheers,

Hello 93Sevillegirl, hope you got your thermostat issue squared away.

I do own one of those dusters. They are good to have for removing dust and pollen !

I recently detailed my car with claying, 3M rubbing compound applied with an orbital , followed by 3M polish/swirl remover applied with orbital and finally sealed with NuFinish.

Did it over a 2 day period.

Looks great except the clean shiny mirror surface now shows all the flaws !! Can't get away from that w/o a new paint job... no biggie. Satisfied 'as-is'.

Cheers,

Hey Gold2, yes we replaced a collapsed rad hose and put in a new thermostat with the hole drilled into it, and now my temp works great.... The car heats up much quicker & steadier and never goes over 200 degrees now. We are gonna get her painted in the spring, nothing major just a coat of paint and a couple small dings fixed, but she'll look so pretty when it's done! I had never heard of the clay bar til just recently and I would like to try that sometime. We have a 2010 yellow Camaro that I'd like to try it on too. Need to get an orbital too. I wish I could make a living detailing cars, I love to do it so much, very satisfying work! Well it's late so time to sign off....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before you buy this istem try one is a 'spotless car wash'. Reverse osmosis water systems remove everything from the water and even black, on a 95 degree day, dry with NO water marks on the glass or black paint. Small garage units are very reasonable too.

Archived