CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Good Afternoon,

I've recently purchased an 05 Deville with 89K miles. Love the car however have had to take it back to the independant dealer 4 times already because the "service enginge soon" light keeps coming on. So far the dealer has replaced bank 1 & 2 o2 sensors, A manifold gasket and a rotted input hose to one of the o2 senors. Even with the replaced parts the "service enging soon" light came back on today. Car runs like a top and it does not appear that this warning light is causing any difficultiers. I've gotten 24-28MPG highway on distance trips. This is (IMO) incredible for a vehicle this size. Car has the Northstar V8 and indeed runs like a top. I've scanned the internet for remedies to the engine light issue but come up with the same info (including faulty gas cap). My questoins are as follows:

1. Can this issue be caused by PRIOR codes registered within the computer triggering a "false positive"?

2. Can resetting reset Codes, Id's and warnings from the DIC control panel on the dash correct this issue?

3. Is it normal for this vehicle to get 24-28 MPG highway?

Your inputwould be appreciated

Best Regards,

Jim

If the light is on you have a current code.

Clearing the code will do nothing. It will reset as soon as the fault is detected again.

Your mileage is normal.

Pull the DTC's via the DIC. Post them and their definitions. That will tell you (us) where the problem is.

There is no input hose to the O2 sensors that could rot - only an electrical connection.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and INFO UP on the dash panel and the codes will be displayed on the information center. Write them down and post them here. The codes will provide a clue to what is wrong.

I have an '05 Deville and really like it. Your mileage is normal - these cars get great fuel economy.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

24-28mpg is the difference between going 65mph and 75mph in my experiences :)

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

• 2 weeks later...

If the code you are getting is pointing to a possible cause of a loose gas cap then you may have a leak in your evaporation plumbing in and around the gas tank. You need to share with us the code.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

If the light is on you have a current code.

Clearing the code will do nothing. It will reset as soon as the fault is detected again.

Your mileage is normal.

Pull the DTC's via the DIC. Post them and their definitions. That will tell you (us) where the problem is.

Sorry for the delay ... I was out of town. The issue I had was with the first O2 sensor i had replaced...the darn unit was faulty and had to be replaced a second time. So far the light has not come back on and I've put about 800 miles on it since I posted.

There is no input hose to the O2 sensors that could rot - only an electrical connection.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and INFO UP on the dash panel and the codes will be displayed on the information center. Write them down and post them here. The codes will provide a clue to what is wrong.

I have an '05 Deville and really like it. Your mileage is normal - these cars get great fuel economy.

Archived