CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Catalytic Converter - Which Brand

coolnesss

I need a new catalytic converter on my 2002 ETC - the one on the car is rattling and is now getting real annoying.

There seem to be several brands that work - Bassani, Benchmark, MagnaFlow, and a Walker. Then there's hi-flo cats by Pypes, Kamikaze, and Pace Setter. Some are universal fit, some will bolt on.

Does anyone have experience with this - or a suggestion for a good one?

Thanks!!!!!!!

I would use a direct fit - Walker brand is what most of the parts stores in my area have.

Not sure but GM had a bunch of defective converters in the early 2000s - yours may be covered under a warranty but too much time may have elapsed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yep, they had a bad bunch of CATs in 02, had my Monte Carlo's replaced free under emissions warranty

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You can get a lot better deal if you accept a little welding. A direct fit will cost you over a hundred more and you can't get a low-restriction. Magnaflow sells an OBD-compliant (49-state) high-flow for under $100 that you can get, installed with both oxygen sensors all there and ready to go from your old cat, for about $125. It will cost you at least twice that to get a direct fit. Any good muffler shop, including Midas and Meineke shops will be able to install your "generic" cat. Just make sure that they use stainless steel welding.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You should go with an OEM cat. Aftermarket converters are not held up to the same standard of factory cats. If you do go aftermarket plan on paying for another in the near future. You might be dealing with some catalyst effeciencey codes also.

I would use a direct fit - Walker brand is what most of the parts stores in my area have.

Not sure but GM had a bunch of defective converters in the early 2000s - yours may be covered under a warranty but too much time may have elapsed.

I checked the dealer - they ran the VIN into the computer and it came up as no warranty extension on it.

So I'll get one - they're not all that expensive.

So, Kevin says a Walker direct fit, and Jim advises a low restriction --- anyone want to be the tie breaker? I take both of their advice seriously - you guys are wonderful!

Whatever you do, weld-to-fit or direct fit, make sure that what you get is OBD certified to avoid the quality issue that tysona23 refers to. And, read the warranty before you buy. Note that if you live in California, your only legal choice is a direct fit.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

• 1 month later...

Here's the mystery - there's two California converters that will fit - both though are universal fit. They're approved by the state smog agency.

Walker is about 150 bucks, Magnaflow is more like $250. Both are stainless steel. Both seem to be OBDII compliant.

Is the Magnaflow worth the extra 100 bucks???

THANKS

They do make a high flow 'cat', which might cost more; I'm thinking unless you're looking for that little bit of extra "umph", I'd stick with the inexpensive one.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

They do make a high flow 'cat', which might cost more; I'm thinking unless you're looking for that little bit of extra "umph", I'd stick with the inexpensive one.

In California, they can't advertise a cat as "high flow", apparently whether or not it is high flow. They can't sell them or deliver them to California.

The good part is that our air pollution here has gone way down over the past 30 years, so, all these rules seem to be working.

Read the find print on each cat and decide. Things like warranty coverage (labor? 90-day?) as well as capacity cost money too. The difference between a high flow and a standard size cat is not that much. A 10% increase in diameter of the ceramic element provides a 20% increase in flow for the same back-pressure. That's 20% more ceramic element, which is perhaps 20% more cost. 20% more flow than OEM is enough to ensure that the cat doesn't restrict any more than it must at red-line.

Other things to look for are size and quality of the heat shield. Make sure that the one you get has one (or you will have to weld your old one to it) and that it is as large and heavy as your OEM heat shield. The HO2 bungs are important, too; an exact-fit will have them, but look at what you can find or see in photos of them. Are the gaskets included? Are they good enough so that you will actually use them?

Archived