CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

05 STS 3.6L: Catalytic Converter below threshold (bank 1)

I own a 2005 cadillac sts w/ 3.6 engine 100k miles. I recently heard a rattling sound that was similar to the ball shaking in a can of spray paint. The noise increases and decreases with increasing or decreasing gas to the engine, respectively. The noise seemed to orginate from the engine, but it also could have come from the center of the car, It was difficult to tell. The odd thing is even with the noise the car is running fine, except you can't use the remote starter with this issue. I called a friend and he said it could be a sticky lifter, so I changed the oil and hoped it would go away like he said. It did go away for a while then the rattling return. I drove it around town for a while thinking that maybe the oil needed to circulate through the engine.

The rattling actually stopped completely, then the Check engine light came on. I took it to Auto zone to get the code read, and it said Catalytic Converter below threshold (bank 1). I was told before I change

the Cat. Converter ensure the O2 sensors are working there could be up to 4 of them because I have dual exhaust, one before and one after the cat. I did think I would have additional codes if the O2 sensors were bad, but they probably need to replaced because of the mileage on the car.

That leaves me with the following issues:

1) I only have one Catalytic converter, and I have no idea where the O2 sensors are located. It didn't see them anywhere on the exhaust pipe.

2) Where can I find a Cat. converter with dual inlet and outlet ports? Every site I've been to has single ports.

3) What else could be the root cause of this issue? Bad fuel, etc... I really want to fix the root cause of the problem to prevent a repeat of this.

Any help or lessons learned on this issue would be a big help.

The "RATTLING SOUND" and now the cat converter code would indicate that the converter needs replacing.

You may be able to reproduce the rattling sound by hitting the bottom of the converter with your hand...

If it "DOES" rattle... the ceramic inside the converter is broken and it needs replacing.

Posted Image

My friend and I put the car on ramps and tapped on both Catalytic converts. We could not replicate the rattling sound. When the Cats are tapped it sounds like we are hitting a hollow tin can. Is it safe to safe the Cat. is good, and the culprit is the O2 sensors?

• 2 weeks later...

My friend and I put the car on ramps and tapped on both Catalytic converts. We could not replicate the rattling sound. When the Cats are tapped it sounds like we are hitting a hollow tin can. Is it safe to safe the Cat. is good, and the culprit is the O2 sensors?

It's not safe to say the cats are good just because you don't hear anything via the tap test. If the code Auto Zone gave you is either P0420 or P0430 then the converter is not functioning within acceptable parameters. Since you have two exhaust pipes there will be two "downstream" O2 sensors and two "upstream" sensors. The downstream sensors will be located on a CTS on the exhaust pipe at about where the jack is placed--maybe about 6 inches further down, as it monitors exhaust after it flows past the converter. It depends on whether the converters are mounted on/near the exhaust manifolds or further down. I believe the CTS is like the STS in that converters are mounted on exhaust manifolds. If any one of the cats is not working then a code will set (P0420 and/or P0430). While it's possible a downstream O2 sensor can go bad, it's not likely unless you see a code showing there is an O2 sensor problem. Usually, catalytic converter codes indicate bad converters, not O2 sensors.

Archived