CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

heater/AC not working

wcrowe

Dear Forum

I own a 1995 Cadillac Concours 4Dr Sedan with approximately 110,000 mi. One morning my wife was driving it and went to click on the AC. She noticed some smoke coming from the vent and the AC has not worked since. I clicked on my heater control and it to doesn't work.

Before I take it to the dealer so they can attempt to charge me out of my wallet, can anybody give me an idea of what could be wrong and how to go about fixing it. Winter is coming fast and I don't want my wife and I to freeze.

Thanks,

wcrowe

When you say the A/C and heater control doesn't work do you mean the compressor or the HVAC blower? I suspect the blower is bad. Does the blower connector on the firewall look burnt?

Sounds like the blower motor burned up. There is a lot if information in the archives on this. The motor has been redesigned and you must purchase the heat shield. There is no need to cut the housing to R&R the blower motor.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When you say the A/C and heater control doesn't work do you mean the compressor or the HVAC blower? I suspect the blower is bad. Does the blower connector on the firewall look burnt?

Thank you replying to my message. When I press the button on control panel to turn a/c on, there's no response. Same for heater and defroster etc! Nothing clicks or responds! How do find out if the A/C Compressor is not working? What is the HVAC blower and where are these componets located? Is this something I can find by looking under the hood?

Sounds like the blower motor burned up. There is a lot if information in the archives on this. The motor has been redesigned and you must purchase the heat shield. There is no need to cut the housing to R&R the blower motor.

Thank you for replying to my message. What function does the blower motor provide and where is it located under the hood? Is it something I can remove and replace myself? Does R&R mean remove and replace?

When you turn on the A/C or defrost, the compressor should run. Look at the clutch. If the center portion is spinning, the clutch is engaged and the compressor is running. If the center portion is not spinning, it is not engaged and the compressor is not running.

The HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) blower is what blows air out of the vents to warm or cool the car. It is located on the firewall.

Thank you for replying to my message. What function does the blower motor provide and where is it located under the hood? Is it something I can remove and replace myself? Does R&R mean remove and replace?

The blower motor/module is under the hood. There is a ton of info in the archives on replacing it. Yes - R&R means remove and replace.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

What function does the blower motor provide

It blows air over the heater core and/or evaporator to heat or cool the cabin. The air you feel coming out of the vents is a product of the blower (fan).

Archived