CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 SLS Dash/ information problems

Thanks in advance for lending me your expertice.

I recently acquired a 95 SLS in decent shape on a trade for a 78 chevy 2wd truck...... The car has 181,000 on it, it looks,runs, drives and stops good.

The dash however, is a different story.

When I turn the key on initially, car cold, the gauges read, the digital temp displays work, as well as the information. Upon firing the car up or just sitting there with the key on for a minute, all the displays go out, the gas gauge drops and the speedo starts bouncing up and down (just sitting in the driveway)

Once the gauges/ info go out, it won't come back on till I try it hours later.....

I have been all through the fuseboxes and all fuses are good but they were all corroded, I have since cleaned them up using emery cloth and everything is still the same. All other "Cadillac" stuff works as it should.

I also noticed the commonly fried blower motor wires and that the motor comes on by itself when the dash stuff happens.

Do you think the two are inter related somehow?

Anyone have any ides as to what the problem could be?

Is there a specific thing I should be looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-)

Don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac!

I opened up the harness where the blower motor wiring pokes out, didn't find anything fried in there, turned on the key and the cluster and info were working, drove to the store, turned it off, came back, turned it on and, still working, figured "sweet" must have jarred something within the harness. Third start and drive, the cluster and info were working and then.........off

I am gonna keep working the harness over in hopes of finding the connection problem. I'll keep posting up until I come up with a solution and mayhap help someone else who may be having the same problems.

I've decided to try and pull the gauge cluster to see if I can spot anything loose or broken on the connections, hopefully there will be an obvious problem but I'm not holding my breath.

Is there a specific procedure to removing the kick panel, dash trim and cluster? I'd really rather not break anything......

Thanks

After driving the car all morning, the gauges and info started working and kept working for every start and stop, I really wish I could get a fix on it but in the meantime, the GPS unit I have works well as a speedo backup.

As a side note, I went to register the thing today and was told the car is worth 3,000 which is laughable since I got it on a trade that I bought for 300 and the car needs some major work done on the front and rear suspension, check engine light is on, the air ride is busted, the aforementioned gauge issues and the interior is pretty wased.

According to the DMV, I need to get a repair estimate exceeding the "official" value. I plan on going to a Caddy dealer as I would like to really know what all is wrong with it. From there back to the DMV and register it for the actual sale price of 500........

Are you planning on fixing up and selling the SLS? Or is it yours for the long haul?

Yes, it is my daughters first car and I fell in love with it the second I saw it. I plan on throwing a couple hundred into it here and there and fix what I can.

Since when does the DMV tell anybody what the value of a car is ??

Just fill out the forms and put the purchase price at $300. You sign it and that is it.

Your signature is the proof.

The guy who sold it has to submit the release form and also put $300 as selling price.

Bypass the transfer scenario.

keep it simple. Just go to another DMV office and don't hassle with it.

What state are you in???

Since when does the DMV tell anybody what the value of a car is ??

Just fill out the forms and put the purchase price at $300. You sign it and that is it.

Your signature is the proof.

The guy who sold it has to submit the release form and also put $300 as selling price.

Bypass the transfer scenario.

keep it simple. Just go to another DMV office and don't hassle with it.

What state are you in???

They do the same in Kansas. Don't matter if you paid $300, they look the value up and you pay tax on THAT value. IF you receive it as a gift they will allow the stated value if accompanied with a signed affidavit.

Lucky daughter you have. Who wouldn't want an SLS for their first car. Congrats to her.

She really loves it as well....

I gave her the old "don't let your first ride be your last ride in a Cadillac" quote and she thought that was pretty funny....

I keep impressing on her how much I like the car and that she better not wreck it or she'll be disowned for sure......LOL

Another thing I reminded her of is that for the last thirty five years minus the past 6, there has been a Cadillac in the driveway, so she is carrying on a long line of family history of Cadillac ownership.

Another special thing about this being her first car is that my wife's first car was a 79 El Dorado!

Amazing how it all caomes full circle and to think it all started with me bringing home a three hundred dollar chevy truck, which I might add, the wife bitched me out for bringing home! LOL

Pulled the codes while the dash was working and found quite a few.....

Most were historical...

Current ones are

A012- low side temp circuit. I can live with that one

P036- EGR pintal position out of range. whatever a pintal is I don't know, but I'll check the EGR

I039- Loss of road sensing data- That one seems like something to do with the air ride

Tried to reset the codes and it doesn't seem to work using the prescribed directions (off button while code is displayed)

What am I missing?

Archived