CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'92 Seville Motor Mounts

Engine mount testing is fairly easy...

Pop the hood.

Start it up, and stick it drive.

STAND on the brakes (set the park brake too for the hell of it!).

Then fairly quickly accelerate to about 2 grand or so (you don't need to stomp the gas though).

If the mount is broken, you'll see the front edge of the engine lift up quite a bit.

Do it all again, but in reverse. Except the back edge will lift.

The back mount is a lot harder too see over the cowl, so it helps to have someone else watching (ummm, have them stand off to the SIDE!!!).

Engine mount testing is fairly easy...

Pop the hood.

Start it up, and stick it drive.

STAND on the brakes (set the park brake too for the hell of it!).

Then fairly quickly accelerate to about 2 grand or so (you don't need to stomp the gas though).

If the mount is broken, you'll see the front edge of the engine lift up quite a bit.

Do it all again, but in reverse. Except the back edge will lift.

The back mount is a lot harder too see over the cowl, so it helps to have someone else watching (ummm, have them stand off to the SIDE!!!).

Thanks. I've been noticing a thud, as if the transmission has momentarily slipped, when quickly accelerating from a stop. I think it's a motor mount so I'll try your test. Can you tell me anything about how to change the mounts?

'Probly' the front motor mount.

You can view it somewhat from above and from below.

Put a light to it. If ya see ooze around it, then its broke. It could also be split on the side and not readily visible.

There are other threads on this.

I bought mine at rock auto.

Had a mechanic install it for about $90. Should take a mechanic about 1 hour for front only.

'Probly' the front motor mount.

You can view it somewhat from above and from below.

Put a light to it. If ya see ooze around it, then its broke. It could also be split on the side and not readily visible.

There are other threads on this.

I bought mine at rock auto.

Had a mechanic install it for about $90. Should take a mechanic about 1 hour for front only.

Thanks. I did the brake/rev test and the engine definitely rose up. And the front motor bushing looks pretty bad. It looks pretty easy to replace but I've never done one. Anybody have any step by step how-to's on replacing it?

OK, now I'm not sure what it is. When I searched for motor mounts online, the pictures I saw don't look like what I thought was the front motor mount. I looking at a thing bolted to the front top of the engine that has bushings. Is that the engine torque strut mount? And if the bushings are worn, can that cause the engine to lift on acceleration? Thanks.

OK, now I'm not sure what it is. When I searched for motor mounts online, the pictures I saw don't look like what I thought was the front motor mount. I looking at a thing bolted to the front top of the engine that has bushings. Is that the engine torque strut mount? And if the bushings are worn, can that cause the engine to lift on acceleration? Thanks.

Yes they will allow the engine to move. Check out this site-you can find detailed pictures-http://www.compnine.com/

airmike that is a good link !

The front motor mount is no. 13 under the trans and engine mount sub category after clicking the front page "8 cylinder engine" section.

sumdumguy, look at the front mount pictures, also go to car parts sites and see better pictures.

From under the car you will see only the body of the mount. use a flashlight

two bolts ontop and two at bottom.

IMHO have a mechanic do it. ought to be like $50-60 bucks labor, half hour. Buy the part online.

It is easier on the rack. there is a trick to undoing it and lifting without much dis assembly as you would find in a std. instruction book or dealer pricing book.

more than likely you only need the front. do one at a time.

Archived