CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cold Feet! - Is possible to adjust heat flow?

Jagmeister

It's been quite cold up here in the midwest lately and my feet keep getting cold in my 94 Seville SLS. There is hot air coming out of the vent down there but not enough to keep the toes toasty.

On the other hand... my nose is quite warm.

Is there any way to adjust the volume of the airflow to favor the toes over the nose?

Ahh... for the simplicity of a manual slide lever. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Matt

Usually in Auto mode the climate control will aim heat at your feet by preference. the Mode selector can be used to select the heat flow there to override the climate setting. Are you getting hot air flow from all vents?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

There is hot air coming out of the vent down there but not enough to keep the toes toasty. On the other hand... my nose is quite warm.

Matt, are you manually selecting the BI-LEVEL or the FLOOR setting on the HVAC controls? If you manually select BI-LEVEL, the system directs approximately equal amounts of air to the floor and to the panel vents. On FLOOR, it directs almost all the air to the floor (with some through the windshield vents). I would assume that there's no malfunction with your system, and if you're not getting enough air to the floor vents on BI-LEVEL, you may have to switch to the FLOOR setting. Also available on my '97 (and probably on your '94 as well) is a FLOOR/DEFROST mix, which puts air to the floor and to the windshield vents. I like this because the air to the face gets cooled a bit by being deflected off the cold windshield, and I can turn the temperature up a little more to keep my dogs on the floor warm.

Just a few suggestions...

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If everything checks out, the following bulletin may be helpful:

=====================================================

DRIVER'S FLEET COLD/POOR HEAT DISTRI. (REPL. FLOOR OUTLET) #43-11-05 - (07/25/1994)

SUBJECT: DRIVER'S FEET COLD/POOR HEAT DISTRIBUTION (REPLACE FLOOR OUTLET ASSEMBLY)

MODELS: 1992-94 CADILLAC ELDORADO AND SEVILLE 1994 CADILLAC CONCOURS AND DEVILLE

VIN BREAKPOINTS:

FOR 1994 MODELS:

ELDORADO - 609809 SEVILLE - 822386 CONCOURS/DEVILLE - 237594

VEHICLES BUILT AFTER THESE BREAKPOINTS WERE ASSEMBLED WITH THE NEW DESIGN FLOOR OUTLET ASSEMBLY.

CONDITION:

SOME OWNERS MAY COMMENT THAT THERE IS POOR HEAT DISTRIBUTION TO THE FLOOR AREA OF THE DRIVER'S COMPARTMENT RESULTING IN THE DRIVER'S FEET GETTING COLD.

CORRECTION:

REPLACE THE FLOOR AIR OUTLET ASSEMBLY, P/N 3546494, USING THE PROCEDURES FOUND IN SECTION 1B OF THE APPROPRIATE SERVICE MANUAL. THE NEW PART CAN BE IDENTIFIED BY VANES IN THE OUTLETS. THE OLD DESIGN HAS NO OUTLET VANES.

PARTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE AVAILABLE ON JULY 11, 1994.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES REPAIRED UNDER WARRANTY, USE:

LABOR OPERATION NUMBER: D1517 LABOR TIME: 2.1 ADD: .7 (FOR "E/K" WITH FULL CONSOLE)

FIGURES: 0

GENERAL MOTORS BULLETINS ARE INTENDED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIANS, NOT A "DO-IT-YOURSELFER". THEY ARE WRITTEN TO INFORM THOSE TECHNICIANS OF CONDITIONS THAT MAY OCCUR ON SOME VEHICLES, OR TO PROVIDE INFORMATION THAT COULD ASSIST IN THE PROPER SERVICE OF A VEHICLE. PROPERLY TRAINED TECHNICIANS HAVE THE EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND KNOW-HOW TO DO A JOB PROPERLY AND SAFELY. IF A CONDITION IS DESCRIBED, DO NOT ASSUME THAT THE BULLETIN APPLIES TO YOUR VEHICLE, OR THAT YOUR VEHICLE WILL HAVE THAT CONDITION. SEE A GENERAL MOTORS DEALER SERVICING YOUR BRAND OF GENERAL MOTORS VEHICLE FOR INFORMATION ON WHETHER YOUR VEHICLE MAY BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION.

COPYRIGHT 1994 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Hhmmm... thanks for all the input.

The only "mode" selector I have is the Auto and Econ buttons. There does not seem to be any way to manually select Bi-Level, Floor, or any other combination. My owners manual mentions nothing other than how it does it all automatically. I wish I had that Floor/Defrost Mix setting. It sounds like what I need.

Perhaps the newer models provided more control over the system?

My VIN number is higher than 822386 so I apparently have the correct air outlet assembly.

Flushing the heater core and checking for a vacuum leak seem like reasonable ideas. I think I will wait til it warms up a bit though.

Thanks,

Matt

I have a similar problem with my '97 STS. Initially the air is warm at both the defrost and bottom vents. Once the interior has reached the set temperature, the air coming out of the bottom vent cools down to the point where eventually my feet become cold while the air coming out of the defroster is warm. Minor irritant but still a nuisance.

I find that even with the automatic temperature setting, which theoretically keeps it a set temperature year-round, I've usually got it set anywhere between 75 and 80 during the winter and 65-70 during the summer. Because you're right -- if I set mine at 70 or 72, the air eventually cools down enough where I need to crank it up a little bit. I just leave it at 80 with LO-AUTO fan and get toasty. :)

I have a similar problem with my '97 STS.  Initially the air is warm at both the defrost and bottom vents.  Once the interior has reached the set temperature, the air coming out of the bottom vent cools down to the point where eventually my feet become cold while the air coming out of the defroster is warm.

Dido

I'll have to try Jason's suggestion next time I have to drive a long distance.

Dennis

BTW how many posts do we need to make to get beyond reader?? I'm going to send in the money in any event as the information I've found here is worth more than 20 bucks.

;)

Dennis

BTW how many posts do we need to make to get beyond reader?? I'm going to send in the money in any event as the information I've found here is worth more than 20 bucks.

Dennis:

"Lurker 1-9 posts

Reader 10-30 posts

Participant 30-100 posts

Old Timer 100+ posts"

Bruce, I believe the description of Reader to the left says 10-20 Posts. Should this be updated to read "10-30 Posts"?

Archived